BMi vs body fat percentage?

Options
ok don't blast me if this question is absolutely stupid. But what's the difference between body fat percentage and bmi?

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    No problem, it's a good question. BMI is a formula based solely on your weight vs. your height. Body fat percentage is the amount of your weight that is fat (adipose tissue) vs. Lean mass (muscle, bones, skin, water, etc.).

Both are useful, but BMI clearly has limitations. For example, many bodybuilders or high level athletes have high muscle mass (i.e. LOW body fat), which can mean they have high overall weight, making them "overweight" according to BMI charts--but they are clearly extremely fit people.
  • saralynrice
    Options
    Ok awesome. I figured that was the case, but I didn't know the true definition of bmi. Thanks for the reply :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ok awesome. I figured that was the case, but I didn't know the true definition of bmi. Thanks for the reply :)

BMI = Weight in kg divided by (height in meters)^2

Eg 100 kg 2m BMI = 100 / 4 = 25
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This is good info

Plus BMI was designed to be used on a population level with statistical healthy ranges...it was never devised for individuals ...in fact it was an invented by a mathematician in the 1800s

Body fat is remarkably difficult to measure easily ...scales are rubbish, yes all of them; calipers in the hands of a professional are OKish but still have errors. There are some ok calculators online but they all should be used to track movement not absolute body fat percentage. The most effective body fat measurements are the full medical bodyscans