How often do you weigh yourself on a SCALE?

Options

Replies

• spiffybarbarella1
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Your body actually retains water when: you have recently eaten carbs, you have recently started exercising more, you are just about to start your period.

My "weight" seriously fluctuates by about 5lbs no matter what my 'actual' weight is. Every day is going to either make you unnecessarily paranoid, or give you false reassurance...
  • sharon_moyer
    sharon_moyer Posts: 177
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but I only record the losses on here. When your weight increases it could be that your body is building muscle from your exercising but in the end things will eventually even out.
  • robyn_takami
    robyn_takami Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Daily and yes weight fluctuates, but a graph will show where your weight is headed anyway ;)
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on a SCALE daily.

Once every two weeks I weigh myself on a lampshade.

Scale works better.

pics_zps361b977f.jpg
  • baabbott2000
    Options
    I weight myself weekly on Sunday mornings. For me, I can't do it everyday. My goal is 1.5 to 2 pounds lost per week. Even if I don't reach that goal, if I stay the same or drop at least half a pound, I know I am doing ok, but still have the urgency to improve the following week.

I also make sure to weigh myself with the same scale and put it in the same spot on the floor just to avoid any kind of fluctuations.

This works for me.

Thanks,
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I constantly check too. I'm cool with whatever it says, because I'm used to the fluctuations. However, it can be hard to tell if I'm gaining or losing. This app makes me happy: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/happy-scale-simple-weight/id532430574?mt=8
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I weight myself daily but I only record weekly and on the same day and time. I'm insulin resistant so weighing myself daily helps me see how certain foods affects my body.
  • baabbott2000
    Options
    "I weigh by filling up a bathtub and measuring how much spills out when I sit in it."

Too funny....congrats on the weight loss thus far...that's awesome!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... I never considered weighing myself on something else. My scale is a total b*tch - maybe I'll have better results on something else.
  • ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but will probably be changing that to every week. I'm doing the 30DS and my weight is staying the same but I'm still losing inches. So rather than being discouraged I'm just going to focus on the measuring tape instead!
  • ksra
    ksra Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I know that my weight fluctuates quite a bit - if I weigh at night before bed, the scale will always say about two pounds too much. I guess it's from all the water.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It is really whatever works for you! But I personally weigh everyday, but I have also come to terms with the fact that I can go up 2lbs some days of just water. It is fine to weigh everyday as long as you don't get upset if there are slight ups and downs.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on a Non-Scale so I rack up those NSVs!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I like to do it most days, personally. I don't freak if I gain, I know it's normal by now, and it's less disappointing than finding out I haven't lost anything in a week otherwise (when I might have dropped down more in between).
  • amelie2011
    amelie2011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not often as I should...maybe once every three months...I don't like scales!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every week on Friday, but when I plateaued I got so frustrated I stopped. Now I weigh myself once every 2-3 weeks unless I feel like I've lost weight, then I'll hop on the scale to see if I'm right. I've been going by how my clothes feel more than what the scale says.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    every morning, unless I've been doing something (like a work trip) where I know I am going to retain.... then I give it a couple days before I weigh again.
  • LostInHollyw00d
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month.. I tend to find my results more pleasing.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh by filling up a bathtub and measuring how much spills out when I sit in it.

Don't forget that freshwater is less dense than salt water so the actual amount of displacement varies depending on the brine levels of the water you're using. Fresh water has a density of 1.0 while salt water has a density of 1.025. Obviously salt water is slightly heavier than fresh water. The ratio between the two types is 41:40.

See the Ghyben-Herzberg Lens for related studies in the event that there could be a mixture of both salt and fresh water. I just don't want you to short yourself on this depending on the type of water you're using.
  • FallynAngyl
    FallynAngyl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Once a week.