How do you keep from getting bored with workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Have a goal to work towards. I hated jogging, but signed up for a 5k. Discovering I could actually make a 5k, even if I have to walk some of it, made me pretty excited. So I have a goal of being able to make it without stopping be the time the 5K comes up. So whatever exercise you are doing, set goals and track your progress. Of course, it's good if you pick something you like- or at least want to like.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    find something you actually like to do and stick with it…

I like to lift heavy and seeing the weights go up and results in the mirror is motivation enough for me…

I am to the point now that if I have to miss a workout I hate myself….

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    find something you actually like to do and stick with it…

I like to lift heavy and seeing the weights go up and results in the mirror is motivation enough for me…

I am to the point now that if I have to miss a workout I hate myself….

I know how you feel. Sundays are my total rest days and I get antsy. Good thing I leave my laundry and housecleaning for Sunday. I get a lot done when I am feeling the need to move.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I get bored out of my mind doing cardio - to the point where my 5 minute warm up is pushing my limits.

But I love my lifting. Can't say I love every move, but I remind myself that it was put in my program for a reason and suck it up and do it.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I do outdoor bootcamp, kettlebell and HIIT classes, no two classes are ever the same so its impossible to get bored with it. Plus it's with a great group of people which makes it fun at the same time as being really hard work!

I agree its all about finding something you enjoy to prevent boredom. I've tried waking, swimming, using the elliptical etc before but found these things boring so I always ended up doing them less and less then quitting all together.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I got a few training sessions with a creative trainer. I now have a list of so many exercises & advancement/variations that I have to REALLY plan workouts just to incorporate all the different stuff I could do even once or twice a week. Yoga I also love because it is harder to stay in one position for 30 seconds than it seems, and the poses usually have advancements to work toward.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do things I enjoy doing...so I don't really get bored.

I have a passion for cycling and olympic weight lifting...never get bored.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Finding your niche is going to be trial and error. Some people like working out alone at a fast pace. Some like working out in group settings (classes). Some workout with inspiring music. Others like to read when they are on the cardio machines. Some love dance. Some run, bike or walk with others to converse.
    There are so many options out there. You just gotta find one that fits you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I wanted to know how do you keep yourself from getting bored with your workouts. Thanks in advance

Set some kind of exercise goals be it run a faster mile, swim a faster lap, strength goals, flexibility goals, etc., and set an exercise plan that works towards them. Have a big long-term goal and smaller short-term goals that will help you reach the long-term. That way you have something to shoot for and by seeing progress it might help keep you motivated.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Change things regularly, and set yourself goals. I am changing my workouts around every month, and set a "Sunday"-monthly goal. For March it is going to be Biathlon (Run/Cycle/Run)
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race or competition months out. I find the fear of making an *kitten* of myself an excellent motivator.