Starting to exercise. Where do I begin?

Options
I've lost 22 lbs and have 15 more to go but this is all due to diet. I don't get much exercise by going about my daily tasks and I don't do any kind of workouts. I just haven't known where to begin. I'm now in the healthy weight BMI range (5'3, 128 lbs) but I'm still very weak, especially upper body. I can only do half a push-up until my arms start shaking. I get out of breathe very quickly still when I do cardio. I think I'm what's considered 'skinny fat', because I'm definitely not my idea of fit. So any tips on getting started? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• margob99
    Options
    I really, really recommend getting on a treadmill at your local gym. If you can find some good music to listen to on your ipod, and just walk. Just start walking. I started off walking, 3 x a week, for 20 minutes. Then a 20 second jog. Then a 30 second jog. Eventually I could run for whole minutes at a time. And I felt so good! I am still working at it, and I love the time on the treadmill. It is a real "get away" feeling for me, and makes me happy too :)
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are your best friend! You don't have to have a fancy gym or anything. Look up simple techniques on Youtube. Best exercises for beginners would be

THE SQUAT!!! <the holy mother of all exercise lol. Just try bodyweight squats to begin with. Technique is the most important thing.
    Pushup <try one, rest, try another. Keep doing this. the more you do it the easier it will become.
    Plank <A FANTASTIC exercise that literally requires nothing but your body.

My advice would be to look at yoga/pilates since you're small and not very strong, since beginning yoga and pilates are low impact and they can get you started as well as teach you proper stretching, which is proper strength training's BFF.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!
  • HerewardWake
    HerewardWake Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Somewhat akin to margob99's suggestion, a daily walk makes a big difference, especially if you can find some hills. Your cardiovascular system will thank you. When that becomes comfortable, carry a dumbbell with you and shift it from hand to hand as each arm gets tired.
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree w everyone. Start small... Keep at it....it will happen. Maybe some swimming or Zumba might be your thing.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    While the walking and treadmill are sound advice they don't take into account that you feel your upper body is weak.

How about swimming some laps? or aquasize?