not include exercise calories?

Options
Hello. I just signed up and noticed when I entered my exercise, it added those calories burned into my calorie allowance for the day. I do not want to eat these exercise calories. I want to create a calorie deficit in order to lose. How can I track my exercise without adding those calories in?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    MFP already has your caloric deficit built in. You need to fuel the tank, so as to continue to have productive work outs..
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    MFP already has your caloric deficit built in. You need to fuel the tank, so as to continue to have productive work outs..
    This exactly. You actually DO want to eat those burned calories back because food is fuel, and you will still be in a deficit, even eating them back.

That's how MFP works - your daily goal has you at a deficit before exercise - meaning you could eat to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. When you burn off more cals through exercise, you're creating a much larger deficit, which can lead to all sorts of problems in the long run - we see here ALL the time. People try to rush the process by eating as little as possible, and they crash and burn, have zero energy, can't stick to goal, get all frustrated, etc, etc.

Personally, my goal is to eat as many calories as I can while still losing weight, and that is precisely what I have done for the past 3 1/2 years or so, and have reached goal weight doing so. No setbacks, no falling off any imaginary wagons, no 'plateaus' - just steady, sustainable weight loss, great energy, and enjoying buying new, smaller sized clothing.

MFP is an awesome tool, but works best when used properly. Good luck! :smile:
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I find MFP over estimates exercise calories so I try to not eat all of them back.- or I underreport exercise and put down 45 minutes instead of 60 etc. Some folks say eat back 1/2 your exercise calories.
  • kortmom
    kortmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I didn't realize the deficit was built in. I am in this for the long haul and I need to be content to stick with it so this should work easily with real life. And a great motivator if I have a higher calorie event planned ... more exercise equals more food!

I own a horse and do not plan to calculate any of my activities related to her so I should be good with tracking any "real exercise" I do. The added benefit is cardio and pilates will help with my riding! I have my last 15 to 20 pounds to lose. I have lost 30 over several years but nothing significant in the last year. I am ready!