fruit

I love fruit. I want to eat more fruit, but the calories add up so quickly with them. I could eat about 2 grapefruit a day, 3 bananas, and pick 3 apples off the tree. But if I do eat all of them, I go over my daily calorie count. Any suggestions??

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    It's all about the calories. You have to make them work in your daily allotment or you can't eat as many.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Make fruit your dessert instead of something to snack on throughout the day, if you tend to overmunch on them. I'm kind of the same way...I could eat a whole container of strawberries in a sitting, easily haha.

But dress up some fruit a little for a sweet dessert at the end of the night if you're worried you'll eat too much. Grapefruit with sugar and a bit of bourbon soaked in is a nice one. For bananas I like to slice them longwise and pan sear them with a bit of honey so they're glazed and sweet (you can add those to some vanilla ice cream for an extra desserty meal if you have the calories, but they taste great on their own). Or if you don't want to dress them up, just sit and have them for a sweet treat after dinner or something.

You can also add some fruit to your meals without adding too much. Sliced up strawberries is my favorite sweet food to add to salads. I'll also make fruit smoothies sometimes or put just a few berries on the side to go with an omelet in the morning. There are also all sorts of recipes that call for fruit or fruit glazes to go with meat like pork or chicken. Incorporate fruit into meals rather than making it a whole snack and you won't go over your calorie limits as much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    jodigrengs wrote: »
    I love fruit. I want to eat more fruit, but the calories add up so quickly with them. I could eat about 2 grapefruit a day, 3 bananas, and pick 3 apples off the tree. But if I do eat all of them, I go over my daily calorie count. Any suggestions??

Have a couple servings of fruit daily and eat more veg, lean proteins, whole grains and healthy fats.

Balance out your diet...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Don't eat so many. Just make them fit into your calories
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Switch some of those bananas for berries, swap one grapefruit for a handful of sugar snap peas, and just have the one apple.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member

That sounds like a good problem to have. If you want all of those, make them fit into your daily goal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

That sounds like a good problem to have. If you want all of those, make them fit into your daily goal.

I know right! :smile:
    Be grateful you're not one of these "I'm addicted to sugar and carbs" people :huh: :wink:

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Switch some of those bananas for berries, swap one grapefruit for a handful of sugar snap peas, and just have the one apple.

Definitely, a change in fruit choice can make all the difference! A pound of strawberries is only ~150 calories! Every day for breakfast I have a bowl of strawberries 200g (.4 lb) with 3/4 c. skim milk, 1 T half & half cream, and 2 t sugar, for 182 calories, 34 carbs, 7 protein, 3 fat. A lot of times I have the same thing for an evening snack too.