Basic Gym Workout Needed-strength training

Options
I'm back at the gym, snaps to me! I'm OK with the Cardio portion. I have a great workout i use for the pool, for the elliptical (just doing this is hard for me!) and a great treadmill workout. I have use of a lot of really nice equipment; my membership is at a new LA Fitness (HUGE).

I need help with strength training!!

Currenlty: Stretch (10 min) cardio (30-60 min) then I mindlessly pick machines.. I spend one day doing nothing but arms, one day legs, and one day core, repeat.. one day of rest in there too! then stretch (10 min) to end things.

I'd like to find a good gym workout for strength training, specific machines to use and such. I want to use the machines they offer.. please no free weights, yes those big burly men intimidate me in the corner! lol Maybe one day I'll work past that but not right now.

I'll take advice, youtube links, any links of sites! I just feel aimless and when it comes to strength training.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I want to use the machines they offer.. please no free weights, yes those big burly men intimidate me in the corner! lol Maybe one day I'll work past that but not right now.

Get over it. Seriously - you joined the gym to change yourself, right? And you knew it was going to be challenging, correct? Overcoming your self-imposed limitations is part of that growth. This post has your advice:

I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1169757/i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You need to be using free weights. The machines were designed purely as a supplement for free weights and can NOT replace them.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The machines are good for beginners that need to learn correct movements.

You could try a push, pull, legs workout. One day focusing on pushing exercise (chest press, shoulder press etc), the next on pulling exercises (rows, deadlifts etc.), and the last on legs.

I'd always recommend using free weights over machines once your past the beginner stage, but don't forget, those intimidating men always started without a clue of what they were doing.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The easiest would be to just ask a trainer at the gym to help you build a routine. Machines are a good start for a beginner and they can absolutely be used exclusively until you make some progress and feel more comfortable.
    Here is a good start if you want to build your own routine: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Stonglifts, starting strength or new rules of lifting. Do cardio on off days.
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a ton of free workout programs. I started Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer recently and really like it. I especially like their app because I can track my workout and see my progression week to week. I've also read Strong Curves, NROLFW, Body Breakthrough, and looked into Strong Lifts 5x5. For right now, Live Fit is a good match for what I want/need. Although I've added in a couple compound movements from the other programs to round it out; which can be added to the app workout and tracked too. Live Fit is 4-6 days per week, which is more compared to some other programs. Once I complete the 12 weeks, I'll probably switch to a 3 day per week program that focuses on progressive heavy lifting.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    use freeweights.

Machines are for assistance or pensioners.