Question about losing muscle mass

Options
Ok here is a question for anyone that knows more than I do on the subject. I am having surgery done Monday and have been told no working out for 4-6 weeks. I am no toned machine here but I have worked hard for the muscle I have gotten to this point. My question is can a person really lose muscle mass in 4-6 weeks with little to no workouts? And what can I do to minimize this?

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You will probably lose some muscle, although since it sounds like you don't have much, it probably won't be much loss. You can lessen the effect by keeping your protein levels up.

Try not to let it bother you. Gaining back lost muscle goes a lot quicker and easier than building muscle the first time around.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bit, but nothing dramatic. Do not panic, 6 weeks is not that long.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you will lose a bit, but it won't be especially significant. Besides that, it seems to be quite a bit easier to regain muscle you have lost through atrophy than to create muscle mass that you didn't have already.

You will be fine.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. As soon as you return back to your workouts you will regain whatever you lost quickly.
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Supplement with whey and casein after the surgery to help preserve muscle and speed recovery. A quick Google search will show studies that support this. And as always talk to your doctor. Either the doctor will like the idea or say it can't hurt. And do some walking.
  • Ria_StayingFit
    Ria_StayingFit Posts: 6,891 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your the information. Sounds like you are all in agreement that I won't lose too much and will quickly get it back so I won't let it get me down. Just difficult when you finally get into a routine and are at the point where you are looking forward to your workouts to be stopped by something out of your control. I appreciate all the responses I got from you. :)