Metabolic Syndrome and Ratios

bridgelene
bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey there. Has anyone here with metabolic syndrome ever talked to an RD or their doctor about what their protein:carb:fat ratio should be?

I'm trying to get back on the bandwagon after my neurologist challenged me (I know I need to lose weight for my own health -- especially with my family health history and my own current health, but apparently his challenging me was the motivation I needed to get back moving).

I'm trying to find good, solid recommendations on it and this is all I've found so far (and it's from 2012, so I'm not sure if the recommendation is still current or if it's outdated). But it still doesn't mention how fat should be in that ratio!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22243943

I'm considering possibly seeing if my insurance would pay for working with a registered dietician at all. And if need be, seeing if my doctor would write me a referral (I wouldn't see why she wouldn't with everything I have going on health-wise)....My big hesitation with that though is that I'm not ready to be all perfect and all with my intake. Better and fuel my body more? Yes. And perhaps improving on it from there, but I can't see myself going from living off of fast food and candy to perfect, and having it be sustainable.

Replies

• TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Your dietician will want cooperation. No one is going to stop you having the odd fast meal. But these guys are expensive... and yes you probably need one to show you just how easy it is to make that transition. So yes..you need to commit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited February 2015
    The linked paper says
    Study design
    Overweight women were recruited and randomly assigned to one of three experimental diets, all restricted in energy (approximately 30 %) and at most 30 % of energy from fat. The diets differed in the ratio of protein:carbohdyrate – low protein (LP, 1 g protein:4 g carbohydrate); normal protein (NP, 1 g protein:2 g carbohydrate); high protein (HP, 1 g protein:1 g carbohydrate). Subjects followed the diets for 12 weeks during which they also participated in an obligatory exercise regimen.

Of the three diets tested the one that came out best was NP, 1 g protein:2 g carbohydrate so with 30% of calories from fat that's 35% from protein and 35% from carbs with a 30% calorie deficit. You can use Custom Goals here to configure that.

In terms of what they ate it says
    Subjects were encouraged to consume whole foods as opposed to pre-packaged or processed foods and to restrict intake of whole-fat dairy, high-fat red meats, deep-fried foods, potato chips, cookies and refined sugar products. Instead, subjects were encouraged to choose whole-grain products, lower-fat meats, fish, turkey, eggs, low-fat milk and cottage cheese, nuts, seeds, and a variety of vegetables, fruits and berries.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    The ratios don't matter, outside of personal preference. Any ratio where no number is below 20 is highly unlikely to cause you any problems.

Just pick one and go.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Thanks for your replies everyone.

And exactly, TheLittleFangs. I don't want it to be a waste of time on everyone's part and money. I've been making changes a bit at a time, with the goal of making them more sustainable, since the two year anniversary of my MS diagnosis, because.....After a bad first year, my second year had been very fortunate in terms of my MS health, and that is part of my motivation to be more healthily in general y'know? Things are getting better, just not perfect.