Speed Help?

Options
Hullooo, I'm 5"1 (roughly at that height, anyway) and trying to gradually improve my 100m sprint. A few weeks ago, I achieved 23 seconds (ugh-felt off put by the people I was running with). Then two weeks after that, I achieved 18.1 seconds and recently 16.5 seconds. Now I'm not the fastest in the world, that's plainly obvious.
For the past 5 days, I have done the 30 day shred to see if it could build up the muscles in my short legs so I would have more power in them as I take strides. I was wondering if there were any other ways to increase speed?

Replies

• LadyPippen
    LadyPippen Posts: 59
    Options
    I dont know much about how to improve performance, however i have heard that peopel who've done Insanity Asylum have been able to improve their performance. You use an agility ladder to help with speed and agility. Check out the program to see if it would work for you. It's only 30 days and you can see how your performance has improved in a month.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try plyometrics.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've never been a sprinter...at least for that short of a distance, I was getting decent at the 400 when I quit running track (and stuck to Cross country instead). But in High school we used resistance training methods. Parachutes, weighted sleds, etc, and we did a variety of slow/fast 100s. start jogging, end sprinting; start sprinting, end jogging; sprint/jog/sprint. Plyometrics help with power: box jumps, squat jumps, forward squat jumps (or something like that....Get into a squat and jump forward)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've been reading that glutes have an effect on sprinting, in particular acceleration. It's been a few articles here and there, so I'm not sure to what extent this is true. But you may want to check that out and see if there's some science behind it? And if so, check out Bret Contreras online because he's sort of a glutes expert.