Crowdsourcing my Ankle Pain...what do you think?

Options
Hi there.

Just wondering if what I describe sounds familiar to anyone. Planning on going back to Doc. because first visit yielding no answer to pain. (At least no arthritis).

I'm having right ankle pain...in the area of the front of the foot kinda where this pic shows the Anterior Talo-fibular ligament

Foot+$26+Ankle.JPG

My ankle/feet have always been "cracky" when I walk...especially first thing in the morning.

I've never had a break, sprain or strain. In my third metatarsal of right foot I did have a stress fracture 15 years ago, which was from backpacking and it healed as I continued to backpack.

My right ankle can even pop loudly if I unweight it and tilt while toes pointing down. I've done this a few times somewhat unintentionally while reaching for something and the like. Doesn't feel bad after that happens.

Recently, I've noticed an increase in pain in the right. It's a constant dull pain. Hurts more first thing in morning or after resting it. Once I walk on it for a while I don't really notice the pain.

Had x-rays and supposedly no signs of arthritis.

I was a ski instructor for 10 years but for the past 3 or so I've not been skiing too much.

Again...never really had an injury...but this pain is starting to keep me up when going to sleep.

Hurts more when I flex than extend but can feel the "pain spot" more pronounced if I do either rather than keep foot neutral.

It kinda reminds me of the stress fracture pain I had years ago...but seems like such an odd location.

Any thoughts based on your own experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

~M.C. Turtle

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I have a similar pain in my left ankle, so I'm interested in the replies you get, too. Are you also a runner? Running is possible with my pain, but the pain is worse the next day, to the point where I'm limping and walking is not comfortable. After a few days of rest, the pain subsides to a point where walking seems to *improve* it. I think that it is a tendon issue (at least in my case) possibly coupled with a tight calf issue (stretching also helps). I also had a stress fracture in a metatarsal of the afflicted foot, but mine was much more recent, within the past year.
  • autumn...does your pain shoot down to or up from your prior stress fracture?

I don't really run...I have been using the treadmill and not really going over 4MPH. A few months ago I was running faster on the treadmill...up to 7MPH. Never felt anything go "wrong" during this running time...but never felt that with my previous stress fracture either...it just gradually got worse.

I really do hope some others post too. Thanks!
  • I limp too...but oddly, it's more after resting it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Does ankle impingement sound right?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pain first thing in the morning and pain after resting, sounds like a tendon.
  • autumnblade75
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mine seems centered on the ankle, with pain radiating both directions. There is also a little swelling on the outside of my shin, in front of the "ankle bone." The stress fracture manifested with pain in the top of the foot, radiating to the ankle, but I don't recall even looking at the ankle on the x-ray.

@cheshirecatastrophe: mine sounds exactly like ankle impingement. Thank you.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had very similar pain so I went to my podiatrist. MY left ankle was a very "cracky" ankle for many many years. I played a lot of sports in high school and had broken and sprained that ankle many times. After an MRI I found out I had a grade 2 tear in my ATF ligament that required a surgical repair. When you go to your doctor again, you may benefit from a MRI.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to go to the doctor - either an ortho or a podiatrist. Demand a referral if necessary. There's just so many things that can go wrong with an ankle. I'm surprised they told you no arthritis based just on an xray.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    Of all the things that go wrong with an ankle, are there many that the Rx is going to be other than: "Stop doing the thing that makes it feel worse, and keep doing things that make it feel better?"

For my own home treatment, I had been just trying to rest it, until I discovered that going for a walk made everything loosen up and feel better. Now I'm getting pretty aggressive on the treadmill, but I've also been aggressive with the hills, because I'm frustrated with not being able to burn off all those calories with the running. I'll know tomorrow if that is a contributing factor to my worsening pain. If so, I will curse and add more flat mileage as a test. I have a race in 5 weeks, and I do intend to run it. It would be nice to get some training in, but I will settle for crippling myself for the sake of the race, if that's what it comes down to. I had a hip issue at this time last year, and I took the same approach - suprisingly, it worked out for me. I know it's stupid, but I'm a runner, and we're a stubborn lot.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a race in 5 weeks, and I do intend to run it. It would be nice to get some training in, but I will settle for crippling myself for the sake of the race, if that's what it comes down to. I had a hip issue at this time last year, and I took the same approach - suprisingly, it worked out for me. I know it's stupid, but I'm a runner, and we're a stubborn lot.

You won't listen to me and that's fine, I get it 100%, but I feel obligated to say--DON'T PUSH IT.

I did that with a trail half at the end of January. (Not ankle-related).

Still not running.

Still not even walking without pain.

Have had to scratch spring A race, backup B race, and at least one checkout race along the way. We'll see if I can still make my planned summer half. :( I'm glad your hip issue worked out, but that was lucky. It's no fun to DNS, but it's worse to DNF (or limp over the finish line with a cr--y time) and then sit on your butt for months.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    @chesirecatastrophe: Please don't blame yourself for my stupidity. You have said all the right things, and I see the wisdom of your words. I am holding off registering for an August half marathon, contingent on my injury status following the race at the end of March. But I'm pretty sure the stubborn streak is what caused the obsession with running in the first place, and couple the fact that I'm a cheapskate, and I can't not run in a race I've already paid for.

My husband just bought me the treadmill, and I would like to say I resisted the urge to run on it while injured, because I KNOW that makes it worse. The best I can say is that I kept it relatively short - only 2 miles - but it was a mistake. I hope eventually I can learn from those. Past history shows I need to make them a few times before I start getting it right.

I do appreciate your concern. I hope I can listen. I know better than to try to promise.
  • ka97
    Options
    Yeah, I've done the I'll just take care of it at home thing and stay away from the doctor because he will just tell me to rest it. I did that for about three months last year, taking a couple of days off, then a week, then a couple of weeks, and then finally caved. Turns out I needed surgery. Actually the choices I was given were keep doing what I was doing and deal with the pain, or have surgery. Stubborn part of me wasn't going to do the surgery. But I did. For a period of time I thought I would never run again, but now I am. I also have arthritis so I'm not completely pain free, but I'm about 85% and so much better than I was a year ago.
    I should add that none of my attempted self diagnoses were correct, and my primary care doctor was pretty much useless. But I went in having already picked out an ortho and told her I wanted a referral.
    So just my 2 cents but if you have had pain for an extended period of time, see a doctor that can properly diagnose and treat whatever the problem might be.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    @ka97: I haven't got a Primary Care guy, but I do have an Ortho guy. Define "extended period of time" though. My ankle has been feeling off for over a month, but it didn't get bad enough that I started limping (which was my cue to stop the running) until 2 weeks ago. It started feeling at least 50% better within a week of discontinuing running. Then the treadmill was purchased. So, I ran 2 miles and felt crummy for 1 more day, and I'm already not limping again 1 day after that. So... I think another week or 2 of self-treatment isn't too bad of an idea.

I hope @MolassesCoveredTurtle isn't too mad that I seem to have hijacked the thread. Sorry.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Options
    @chesirecatastrophe: Please don't blame yourself for my stupidity. You have said all the right things, and I see the wisdom of your words. I am holding off registering for an August half marathon, contingent on my injury status following the race at the end of March. But I'm pretty sure the stubborn streak is what caused the obsession with running in the first place, and couple the fact that I'm a cheapskate, and I can't not run in a race I've already paid for.

My husband just bought me the treadmill, and I would like to say I resisted the urge to run on it while injured, because I KNOW that makes it worse. The best I can say is that I kept it relatively short - only 2 miles - but it was a mistake. I hope eventually I can learn from those. Past history shows I need to make them a few times before I start getting it right.

I do appreciate your concern. I hope I can listen. I know better than to try to promise.

I don't blame you. I'm sure you'll ignore me. I'd ignore me, too. >:)

Except the part about "already paid for." That's a cr*p excuse and you know it. You want to run the race because you want to run the race.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    I don't blame you. I'm sure you'll ignore me. I'd ignore me, too. >:)

Except the part about "already paid for." That's a cr*p excuse and you know it. You want to run the race because you want to run the race.

Well, it's at least HALF valid. I do want to run the race because I want to run the race, but it it weren't already paid for, I wouldn't register, at this point.

But I couldn't ignore your stellar advice if you'd withheld it. It needed to be said so that I could ignore it.

• ka97
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - unfortunately I think "extended period" is highly dependent on the individual and circumstances. I think we all know when things are getting better, and when they are not even if we try to deny it. There's that little voice in the back of the head; I hate that voice! I guess I knew after two weeks of no improvement that there was something wrong. But, I had two half marathons on the calendar and I was determined to get through those before I saw a doctor to hear something I knew I wouldn't want to hear. For what it's worth, those two half marathons absolutely sucked - worst times ever, practically in tears, honestly thought I would not make it to the finish line. In hindsight, I wish I had scrapped those races and avoided the three months of being stubborn - I might have been recovered in time for summer triathlons.
    If I were seeing improvement after taking a week off, yeah I'd probably wait it out. But I don't always make the best choices. I think you have to listen to your body, and that annoying voice in the back of your head.

OP - I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you are concerned enough to be asking for advice here, I would probably see a doctor.
  • Thanks to those who answered the OP. Appreciate the input and will be reading up on what it could be then booking a doctor visit again.

~M.C. Turtle
    I hope @MolassesCoveredTurtle isn't too mad that I seem to have hijacked the thread. Sorry.

...eh, that's what happens when you crowdsource. Never know the type of etiquette people will have in an open thread. Not mad. Please consider taking extended convos to private message next time. That's what I do.

Cheers!

~M.C. Turtle
  • Thanks to those who answered the OP. Appreciate the input and will be reading up on what it could be then booking a doctor visit again.

~M.C. Turtle

...eh, that's what happens when you crowdsource. Never know the type of etiquette people will have in an open thread. Not mad. Please consider taking extended convos to private message next time. That's what I do.

Cheers!

~M.C. Turtle

• autumnblade75
    Options
    Thanks to those who answered the OP. Appreciate the input and will be reading up on what it could be then booking a doctor visit again.

~M.C. Turtle

Cheers!

~M.C. Turtle

Very understanding of you. Thank you. I found this: http://www.crosbyphysio.com/what-we-can-treat/lower-limb/ankle-pain/ and thought it might be helpful. My google-fu didn't uncover it earlier, but I learned new words, today, that helped track down extra resources. Y'know, just to be a little more helpful, as an apology to the hi-jack.

• Cool. Thanks!

Feel better too.