Gift idea for guy who runs

Options
ybodwen
ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
Need a birthday gift for my man- he's getting more and more into running and he loves gadgets and gear!
Would appreciate some tips.. thanks!

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    what , if any, gadgets does he currently have ?
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    HRM or a garmin
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

If something were to happen, they would be able to call you, as well, if he as any conditions an emergency team needs to be aware of.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    on my wish list: nike shoe sensor, hydration pack and a running dog :happy:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

If something were to happen, they would be able to call you, as well, if he as any conditions an emergency team needs to be aware of.

i like that idea too :-)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

This was going to be my suggestion! Great gift, and I love my Road ID!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    HI
    there are so many gadgets. You can get something with a heart rate monitor and a gps to track runs. You could just get a plain gps, or a pedometre kind of gadget like a fitbit. You can a timer to time intervals. He might like a gift card to a running shop that has all the gadgets!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Nike sportwatch or the nike element shield running jacket..the very finest running garment ever created bar NONE
  • ybodwen
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions! he uses endomondo on his droid and just got an armband for it.
    Also has a Timex ironman (my old one- found it not woman friendly and he got me a garmin)
    He has shoes, shorts, shirts and socks. That's about it.
    Anything that would be the obvious must have, next on the list of things he needs?
    He's kinda still starting out, doing 2-3 miles at a time.
  • ybodwen
    Options
    bump- more ideas?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I never run without a hat or visor, and love my wicking-type hats....maybe one with his favorite brand logo?
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options

This or running water belt. New running clothes. Man! I wish my husband ran...I could come up with major ideas :smile:
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good shoes! never hurts to have good shoes. A water belt is a simple thing to have, and great to be able to drink and keep hydrated during a run without having to carry anything in your hand all the time. I like to have music with me so an MP3 player if he is not using his phone for music. A good set or earbuds or headphones to listen too. More gadgets. A running companion, I recommend a good Labrador
    ComeOnDad_zps92e40b8b.jpg
  • ybodwen
    Options
    Good shoes! never hurts to have good shoes. A water belt is a simple thing to have, and great to be able to drink and keep hydrated during a run without having to carry anything in your hand all the time. I like to have music with me so an MP3 player if he is not using his phone for music. A good set or earbuds or headphones to listen too. More gadgets. A running companion, I recommend a good Labrador

LOL :) do you recommend any particular water belt or particularly awesome earbuds/headphones? leaning toward one of those. I like the road ID but maybe next year- we are sorta in transition now so wouldn't want to have to re-do it with new info.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If he listens to music on his runs, I would recommend a good pair of running headphones. My old ones were always slipping off my ears when I ran, so getting some designed to hold a little snugger made a significant difference. I also like my shoe wallet. It's a small pouch that clips to your laces to hold you keys, ID and credit cards, if you're going to need them. Much nicer than having them bang around in your pocket.
  • fitjules35
    fitjules35 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My husband has been a marathoner forever and loves running gifts. Here's what he's gotten over the years:

gps watch
    hear rate monitor watch
    running mask & gloves for cold weather
    night light that goes on his head
    subscription to runners magazine
    nice running socks
    hats, sunglasses
    clothes
    one year i made a shadow box with his medal & bib, photos from his first marathon
    framed poster from his first marathon
    a couple books on running he requested
    and i try to pick up goo or the jelly beans when i think of it

also, my husband won't wear the water belt, but usually runs with a hand-held water bottle...like this one
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-402352/pgid-780756&cp=usns_kw_AL!1778!3!33699626385!!!g!!37977813945
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know your partners just starting out but I've had my eye on these http://www.etsy.com/listing/54428853/custom-race-bib-coasters-triathlon , maybe next year if he signs up for a 5k? I have them bookmarked for when my SO decides to enter a marathon, because I think they are super cool, unfortunately he his of the mind that one should only enter a race if you are a competitive runner :grumble:
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options

LOL :) do you recommend any particular water belt or particularly awesome earbuds/headphones? leaning toward one of those. I like the road ID but maybe next year- we are sorta in transition now so wouldn't want to have to re-do it with new info.

The water belt I have is similar to the Nike one here --> http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-402353/pgid-780765
    Our local running store has store brand in the same angled style, nice and easy to grab with one hand. I am looking for new earbuds myself, looking at the Yurbuds but I don't like having both ears plugged, Can't hear the bikes coming up behind me. I am currently using a Jawbone bluetooth earpiece right now. It works for me. My Lab, Tangent, is a great motivator. She demands her daily walk/run starting about 3:30 and will not let me rest until I take her.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Camelback

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength.