Looking for friends and even possibly a mentor

I'm 5'9 237lbs , 29 years old , looking to lose about 60 pounds.. Going to start tracking tomorrow and going to keep all my stuff public.. feel free to critique it all you want :) Looking for friends and even possibly a mentor if they are a right fit.. I'm ex-military and have been 30-50 lbs overweight for the last 8 years and have tried a lot of times to lose it with no luck.. I like exercise and we have a gym membership.. One issue I have is my job is extremely sedentary so about 8 hours of the day is spent without moving a muscle besides my fingers.. I also love love love eating.. Usually unhealthy stuff too unfortunately.. thanks guys and can't wait to meet some nice people here..

Replies

• Mikey_Irish
    Mikey_Irish Posts: 93 Member
    Hi Im a bit older but am also prior military...11Bravo. Had no problem keeping in shape in those days lol.

I was 309 about 17 months ago and have shed quite a bit by adjusting my diet and increasing movement. I started here about 3 days ago and have it connected to my gamin account. Seems to be really good. I love the information and how its displayed. See how I weigh in later in the week. Ive been kinda stuck at 240 ish for a little bit

I hope you enjoy it. If you can, one recommendation I have is try to scan the bar-codes and not guess when it comes to logging the food.

Good luck and feel free to add me or accept the friend request.

• lesoleebay
    lesoleebay Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    mpduross wrote: »
    Hi Im a bit older but am also prior military...11Bravo. Had no problem keeping in shape in those days lol.

I was 309 about 17 months ago and have shed quite a bit by adjusting my diet and increasing movement. I started here about 3 days ago and have it connected to my gamin account. Seems to be really good. I love the information and how its displayed. See how I weigh in later in the week. Ive been kinda stuck at 240 ish for a little bit

I hope you enjoy it. If you can, one recommendation I have is try to scan the bar-codes and not guess when it comes to logging the food.

Good luck and feel free to add me or accept the friend request.

I accepted a request but I'll send you another one just in case.. Do you recommend getting a garmin?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Hi and welcome to MFP

For a mentor check this thread and contact one you think suits you http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10035755/2015-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread#latest

As for your desk job, get up and take a break, take a walk at lunchtime, download a pedometer or buy a fitbit and start tracking your movement and get your *kitten* into that gym...you'll love it, you know you do

When you track, weigh everything (no cup measurements) and pick database entries with care, look for the non-starred or the member confirmations and never choose homemade, that's someone else's recipes

You know you've got the discipline if you're ex-military..you got this!
  • lesoleebay
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi and welcome to MFP

For a mentor check this thread and contact one you think suits you http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10035755/2015-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread#latest

As for your desk job, get up and take a break, take a walk at lunchtime, download a pedometer or buy a fitbit and start tracking your movement and get your *kitten* into that gym...you'll love it, you know you do

When you track, weigh everything (no cup measurements) and pick database entries with care, look for the non-starred or the member confirmations and never choose homemade, that's someone else's recipes

You know you've got the discipline if you're ex-military..you got this!

Thanks a lot rabbit.. I know I gotta start moving around during my work day!
  • lesoleebay
    5 days in, would still like a mentor if anyone is available.
  • Mikey_Irish
    Mikey_Irish Posts: 93 Member

[/quote]

I accepted a request but I'll send you another one just in case.. Do you recommend getting a garmin?
    [/quote]

Yeah I got the vivofit and the heart rate monitor....shows me exactly whats going on and also tracks your steps and encouraging u to move if you have been still too long
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    I'd be happy to help mentor you! I also have a sedentary desk job. Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Welcome to MFP- go get it!