Can I be doing more? (advice pleeeease!)

Options
2»

Replies

• chattertess
    chattertess Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If your trainer told you that you gained 1.5 kilos of muscle in a month, while eating at a deficit, then you might as well lose the trainer and throw your money away. You will still have less money, but you will also not be paying someone to tell you lies. Sorry, but just no. Also you are not burning 500 calories in 30 minutes during your personal training sessions. Not unless you are very obese and your training sessions consist of intense cardio, and even then I doubt it.

I only list the exercise roughly, as I don't eat it back anyway. Its more there incase I go over by top whack 50-100cals. Like I said, I don't really eat back the exercise cals. Its not there for me to rely on. I know each workout will vary, so theres no way of knowing exactly how much I'd burn.

Again, all I can say is what the scales showed. Hes not the one telling me to make me feel good or whatever - its what the scales said the difference was from the last time I'd stepped on them. I don't care all that much what the scales show for muscle at this point either way, because I know I'm working very hard in the sessions and will be doing me good in some shape or form.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me, just keep doing what you are doing, and ignore the nitpicky "experts".....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Dang I'm lifting heavy and practically eating at maintenance and I wish I could be gaining 1.4kg of muscle per month.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Sounds good to me, just keep doing what you are doing, and ignore the nitpicky "experts".....

It's not being "nitpicky experts". I mean, come on. The fact of the matter is she has gained weight. She hasn't added an appreciable amount of muscle in this time frame as that would be next to impossible. BIA scales (the type she is using) are known to fluctuate all over the place and aren't considered reliable at all. Get on one, drink a glass of water, and get back on in 5 minutes and you will see what I mean.

The OP wanted to know if she can do more, and yes...she can, cause at this point she is gaining weight. Not losing which is her goal. Making sure she knows the facts is not nitpicking. It should be helping her adjust.

ETA: there is a chance that you could still be holding water since if it has only been a month since you started your new exercise routine.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that with a personal trainer, you've used a tape measure for your starting measurements. Are you continuing to do that, or at home? The scale may not show a weight loss but your body measurements will change. To me, that's where it really counts. When I was getting started, I took arm, thigh, chest, waist and hip measurements once a month (left and right sides). Even if the weight wasn't coming off fast, the body was re-comping and that gave me plenty of incentive to stay on track.

Aside from rubber-stamping the advice to log and weigh everything you eat, I would recommend that you be careful not to burn yourself out. You mentioned that this last month was your first time putting your 'all' into it even though you've been trying to lose weight for several months. Pacing is important as it helps you adjust to a new lifestyle. You want to be successful for life, not just reaching a number on the scale.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I am curious; You mentioned you gained a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat. Amounts that are to an extreme for a very new and very over weight person just starting their journey. Which is why everyone seems alarmed. Not to mention there is no accurate way to truly measure where loss/gains are coming from - simply when you lose you will lose muscle and fat and when you gain you will gain muscle and fat. So, the concerns are valid as overall you have lost very little your journey you have a question about is weight loss. So, you are not meeting your goal with the program you are using. You might find this article educational about what happens when you are trying to gain muscle as it will also help you understand the previous attitudes: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm

My curiosity is really two-fold. First, you have a personal trainer in whom you seem to trust; so what does your trainer have to say about what you are doing? Second, What is it you are doubting about your trainer that brought the question here to ask?