Cheat Days?

Options
Is it okay to have cheat days, when trying to lose pounds.
i eat 1000-1200 cals a day.
today I cheated by having Cereal, so im at like 1400 cals today. Should I do this once a week.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Since the minimum you should be eating is 1200 PLUS exercise calories, you're just making up for the under eating during the week. Actually, you could eat 1400 a day everyday and still lose. Remember, MFP's deficit is already built into that 1200.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you feel like it, go ahead. Though I fit the foods I love into my calories, including cereal once or twice a week.

Edit: now that I've looked at your diary, that's not even close to a cheat day. You should be hitting your goal every day, and eating as little as you've recorded consistently can damage your body.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think as you long as you are netting above 1200 calories each day that you will be okay if you go over a few calories every once in awhile. The big thing is to make sure that your cheat day doesn't get out of hand and that you consume way more calories that will derail your weight loss for the week.

You also may want to evaluate the amount of calories you are eating if you are only eating 1000-1200 calories a day, less than 1200 calories a day can have health risks involved.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    People suggest more like cheat MEALS rather than a whole day. So have one meal be a cheat, it won't throw anything off track.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    The most I "allow" myself is an occasional day where I might eat back some of my exercise calories. I try not to do that except special occasions.

Now, have I cheated? Yes. Do I do it regularly? No. Losing weight is slow enough without making it slower. Also, if I cheat, I tend to REALLY cheat. Can't seem to control myself to just a couple hundred calories like you did.

However, if you can have a 200 calorie cheat once a week, and it will make it easier for you to stick with the program, then by all means, have a little treat.

FYI: There are no "Cheat Police." It only affects you!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Eating 1400 when your goal is 1800 isn't 'cheating'. Eat more
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing 1200 - 1000 calories a day? I really feel you should be eating more but every body is different.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I logged 1180, THEN I have had 3 bowels of KIX cereal, with sugar sooo good.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    I think I should do this every SUNDAY.
  • malibu927
    Options
    I logged 1180, THEN I have had 3 bowels of KIX cereal, with sugar sooo good.

3 bowls with sugar added? That's going to be a LOT more than 200 calories. Are you using a food scale?
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    I'm so Scared, but I will just have to hit the gym more, I guess this week.
    Monday I will work out & Eat Clean. I never eat this much and I have great self control. My goal is to lose 29lbs, I'm half way there. I got 17 more to go.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    1400 calories isn't a cheat day. There is no such thing as cheat days - when you are maintaining, will eating ice cream mean you're cheating?

Eat now how you plan to eat when you are maintaining, just a little bit less. This is a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix. It's fine to eat above your calorie goal, you may just lose a bit slower. 1200 calories is quite low for most people and likely unnecessarily low.

eating "clean" means nothing for weight loss. Eat up to your goal, at the very least eat below your maintenance needs every day, to prevent weight gain.
    Eating 1400 when your goal is 1800 isn't 'cheating'. Eat more

This. eat to your caloric goal.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    OMG just had 2 pieces of birthday cake. Im in trouble so Yes, I am working out hard tomorrow. 1 hour in the Am, 1 hour in the pm.
  • malibu927
    Options
    Are binges common for you? If so, have you spoken with a professional about them?
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    No, I don't binge lol. I workout hard and eat right.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Options
    I dont even weigh my self often i weigh in like once every 6 weeks.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eating three bowls of cereal and two pieces of cake in a short amount of time may be considered a binge to some. I doubt it will do any damage since you are undereating to begin with, but chances are the reason you are indulging in that cake in those bowls of cereal is because you're depriving yourself other days. If you want cake, then have some, but work a piece into your calories so you don't overeat on it later...same with the cereal and other foods you enjoy. Labeling certain foods as forbidden or considering yourself "in trouble" when you eat them is a recipe for failure down the road. You need to find an eating plan that's sustainable. It's not healthy to eat the limited calories you are, especially considering you are not eating back exercise calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    These posts sound dangerously close to disordered eating
  • ana3067
    Options
    OMG just had 2 pieces of birthday cake. Im in trouble so Yes, I am working out hard tomorrow. 1 hour in the Am, 1 hour in the pm.

... you think you are "in trouble" from birthday cake? At most you just ate up to your maintenance needs.

I think you need to back away from logging because you are entering dangerous territory here. None of this seems all that healthy from a physical and mental POV.
  • ana3067
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Eating three bowls of cereal and two pieces of cake in a short amount of time may be considered a binge to some. I doubt it will do any damage since you are undereating to begin with, but chances are the reason you are indulging in that cake in those bowls of cereal is because you're depriving yourself other days. If you want cake, then have some, but work a piece into your calories so you don't overeat on it later...same with the cereal and other foods you enjoy. Labeling certain foods as forbidden or considering yourself "in trouble" when you eat them is a recipe for failure down the road. You need to find an eating plan that's sustainable.

Especially because we have no idea what 3 bowls and 2 slices means. This could be a slice:
    wee_little_slice_of_cake_by_InxLovexWithxAxWolf.jpg

or this could be a slice;
    20061004-Giant_Slice_of_Cake_2.jpg

And agree with the rest of your post. Also that OP, you are not only depriving yourself of individual items you enjoy, but of calories that you need to be eating. Stop under-eating.