This might be common knowledge..

Options
jem302
jem302 Posts: 301 Member
I have a question about cardio machines at the gym. I know that in general the listed calories burned is not accurate, but what can I expect from doing an hour on the elliptical (resistance level 10, weight loss program) at an average of 110 strides/min? The machine said I burned 631 calories.

Replies

• Sith_magik
    Sith_magik Posts: 11
    Options
    sounds about right for an hour it also depends on your weight, if you want to use more cal make it faster and harder, then you burn for longer even when you are finished. Make sure it is not just going with the flow push yourself
  • StellaHarmon
    StellaHarmon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The machines always said I burned roughly 170 calories more than what my heart rate monitor said.
  • Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how it would work out for you personally, but for me, it greatly overestimates the burn. I also do about an hour on the elliptical, but I continuously change the resistance and speed, going through some of the workout at a higher resistance, some of it at a higher speed, but mostly at what is somewhat normal for me, about 8 resistance and 140 strides per minute.

I use a HRM to give me a better estimate of the calories burn, and check it frequently to compare the amounts, out of curiosity. I have found that I burn about 70-80% of what the machine tells me, closer to the 70% at the "normal" pace, closer to the what the machine says when I pick up the intensity. I'm not sure that helps you at all, as there really are so many variables, but that has been my experience. If it is really important to you, I'm going to stick with the old advice of getting a HRM. I would guess you burned about 70% of the 631, if it's at a steady pace.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm 5'3 and 150 pounds.
  • jem302
    Options
    I have no idea how it would work out for you personally, but for me, it greatly overestimates the burn. I also do about an hour on the elliptical, but I continuously change the resistance and speed, going through some of the workout at a higher resistance, some of it at a higher speed, but mostly at what is somewhat normal for me, about 8 resistance and 140 strides per minute.

I use a HRM to give me a better estimate of the calories burn, and check it frequently to compare the amounts, out of curiosity. I have found that I burn about 70-80% of what the machine tells me, closer to the 70% at the "normal" pace, closer to the what the machine says when I pick up the intensity. I'm not sure that helps you at all, as there really are so many variables, but that has been my experience. If it is really important to you, I'm going to stick with the old advice of getting a HRM. I would guess you burned about 70% of the 631, if it's at a steady pace.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm 5'3 and 150 pounds.

I'm the same height and weight (roughly) as you! So that helps a lot, thanks. I'm just going to assume that I will burn a bit less than what the machine says as I don't have a hrm.

Also, if anyone knows, how well do the heart rate monitors on the machine handles themselves work? Today the couple of times I checked it was at around 176 and then once at 60. And I have no idea what my heart rate should be at anyway..
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Keep your hands on the metal HRMs on the machine if you don't have one and make a note of your heart rate. I wear an HRM that I trust and the ellipticals at my gym can communicate with it and display my heart rate. The machines I use when they read my HR are usually always over my actual calorie burn (even if only by 35 - 40 cal, never by an exorbitant amount). So I'm sure the elliptical is relatively close, but it won't be super accurate. Give yourself wiggle room and you'll be fine! :)
  • jem302
    Options
    Keep your hands on the metal HRMs on the machine if you don't have one and make a note of your heart rate. I wear an HRM that I trust and the ellipticals at my gym can communicate with it and display my heart rate. The machines I use when they read my HR are usually always over my actual calorie burn (even if only by 35 - 40 cal, never by an exorbitant amount). So I'm sure the elliptical is relatively close, but it won't be super accurate. Give yourself wiggle room and you'll be fine! :)

This is helpful, thank you!