Sleep

Options
Lately I haven't been getting a lot of sleep like probably 5 hours or less because there is always something to wake me up in the morning (like my grandfather deciding to start making noise right outside my room) and I can't fall asleep till like 1 in the morning how important do you need for weight loss?

Replies

• Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have a fan on in my room. It is like an air lock. No sound gets in, no sound gets out.
  • mypassion12
    mypassion12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a fan on in my room. It is like an air lock. No sound gets in, no sound gets out.
    I also have a fan but it isn't loud enough to block out noise and it even if it did my grandfather would still find a reason to come in and tell me I have to drive him every where
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sleep is important, for many reasons. Not the least of which is mental health. Have you tried earplugs? Why are you not able to get to sleep before 1 am?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Sleep is important, not just for staying at a healthy weight but for sanity and general well-being.

Have you tried foam earplugs? They can be a little uncomfortable at first, but they do wonders once you get used to them.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Sleep is important, for many reasons. Not the least of which is mental health. Have you tried earplugs? Why are you not able to get to sleep before 1 am?

Our posts crossed in mid-air saying the same thing :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Our posts crossed in mid-air saying the same thing :)

Great minds, etc. etc. :flowerforyou:
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    I also have a fan but it isn't loud enough to block out noise and it even if it did my grandfather would still find a reason to come in and tell me I have to drive him every where

Then tell him not to. Lock the door.

There are ways around this. I feel like you are making excuses.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wear earplugs every night. My hubby snores. They do help.
  • mypassion12
    Options

I have tried earplugs and they tend to fall out no matter how far I push them in which is weird and I have no idea why about the falling asleep thing it probably because I am ADHD and my mind will not stop racing till I have to force it to stop
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I have tried earplugs and they tend to fall out no matter how far I push them in which is weird and I have no idea why about the falling asleep thing it probably because I am ADHD and my mind will not stop racing till I have to force it to stop

Maybe look into some relaxation techniques you can do then.
  • mypassion12
    Options

I am not making excuses everyone says that's what I do when all I am doing is stating a fact and whenever I do tell him to not do something he does it anyway he is stubborn. Plus I manage on working on low sleep all I wanted to know how will it effect my weight loss goal
  • mypassion12
    Options

Maybe look into some relaxation techniques you can do then.

Like Yoga? I can try I am a clutz so I have to find something that will work with my coordination
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Well, I don't have any advice about your living situation, but if you find your mind is racing while you are trying to sleep, it really helps to learn some meditation techniques. It's all about quieting the mind. There are good podcasts out there that can teach you the basics (and are very relaxing to listen to).

http://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast/

If your living situation makes it hard for you to get enough sleep at night, you should take a long nap during the day, or sleep in two shifts.

And, exercise improves your ability to sleep.

[edit: just don't do a crazy workout right before bed.]
  • mypassion12
    Options
    Well, I don't have any advice about your living situation, but if you find your mind is racing while you are trying to sleep, it really helps to learn some meditation techniques. It's all about quieting the mind. There are good podcasts out there that can teach you the basics (and are very relaxing to listen to).

http://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast/

If your living situation makes it hard for you to get enough sleep at night, you should take a long nap during the day, or sleep in two shifts.

And, exercise improves your ability to sleep.

[edit: just don't do a crazy workout right before bed.]
    I will try that meditation thing hopefully it will help because it is hard trying to sleep during the day since my whole family is italian which make them all bossy and loud and lately I have been getting the feeling like they basically can't do anything without me so yeah... lol I have been trying to get more exercise hopefully I can still do it when my mom and siblings are on summer vacation
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options

I am not making excuses everyone says that's what I do when all I am doing is stating a fact and whenever I do tell him to not do something he does it anyway he is stubborn. Plus I manage on working on low sleep all I wanted to know how will it effect my weight loss goal

No. It will only AFFECT your weight loss goal if it stops you from eating right and exercising,
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It sounds like living with your grandfather and taking care of him might be stressing you out. Is there another family member that can drive him around a couple days a week?
  • mypassion12
    Options
    It sounds like living with your grandfather and taking care of him might be stressing you out. Is there another family member that can drive him around a couple days a week?

Unfortunately, no there is not my family members who can drive nominated me for the job. He insists on doing it himself sometimes but since he has Parkinsons it would be unsafe