2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    be a good idea to get pro help.

I'm 12 days "sober" as it were, but the way I was talking to @cmfougere‌ about it earlier she was saying it's like an alcoholic with whiskey. I might never be able to have certain things again as it is a trigger, I have to learn to accept that, as miserable as that may be.

truth, but alcohol is something you can opt into and out of. Food is something we all have to intake.

I fall back to my original position, get some pro treatment if you can. It will serve you well long and short term.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    What is the link to the facebook page on binge eating?
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm getting this way with cake again, but (and I don't know if this makes it better or worse) my binge eating tends to replace the 'real' eating. So, so far, today, I've felt depressed, done nothing, and ate a bag of squashies (these like little sweet things...) and a small white chocolate buttercream and strawberry cake to myself. As well as a litre of Ting!

Point is, I've not eaten anything else. But idk if that's bad or not considering I'm just denying myself proper food and proper nutrients. That also being said, I have no money to buy my own food and my boyfriend's parents are firstly boring and b) do not generally have anything more than bread, eggs and cheese in the house for me to eat (we do pay them room and board, you know, we're not just mooching).

• lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What is the link to the facebook page on binge eating?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/195815140540665/
  • lewispwest
    Options
    tysbobo wrote: »
    I have the same issue with chocolate. I would start out with one serving and end up eating an entire box of Hershey s, chocolate covered nuts or fruit, etc. I would wake up the next morning, tell myself I lost control and will be on track today only to fall off the Wagon an hour later. What has helped me is paying attention to how my clothes feel and refusing to buy bigger sizes thus forcing me lose. I am I'm this journey with you. Remember, we can learn from the past but it is just that - the past. Time to start now with the future. Best of luck!!!

Yeah, I must've said "I'm determined to stop" about a dozen times during the relapse period, it was only a particularly awful cheesecake I ate at 2am after a night out that stopped it once and for all.

But yeah, a stone made a huge difference to how my clothes felt and I've bought all new clothes for my new size so I will not go back to being big!
  • lewispwest
    Options
    be a good idea to get pro help.

I'm 12 days "sober" as it were, but the way I was talking to @cmfougere‌ about it earlier she was saying it's like an alcoholic with whiskey. I might never be able to have certain things again as it is a trigger, I have to learn to accept that, as miserable as that may be.

truth, but alcohol is something you can opt into and out of. Food is something we all have to intake.

I fall back to my original position, get some pro treatment if you can. It will serve you well long and short term.

I'll see if my insurance will cover it, thanks for the advice.

• laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Therapy if you can afford it (or your insurance will pay for it, which it probably will). I find that my low dose of anti-depressants help as well, but you should discuss that with your doctor. OA helps too. It has taken several years of therapy, but for the most part, I have a healthy relationship with food these days.
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned this, but for me, it was all about discovering what was causing the bingeing. I could eat nonstop, truly. I never felt full, I compared myself to a bottomless pit, and I was severely depressed, to the point of wanting to give up on life. I got professional help, and he really helped me out. He had me keep a very detailed journal about everything -- what I ate, when I ate it, where I was, how my day had gone, just every single boring detail. I hated it, I'm not going to lie. But it really helped me start to see patterns and what was causing me to feel like food was a drug that I needed, and then we dug deeper to work on those issues that were the root cause of it. That was several years ago, and I still struggle sometimes, but I'm much more in control.

Also, there's a GREAT Facebook group I highly recommend. It's completely private, so none of your friends will be able to see that you post there or even that you're a member of it. It's called "Binge Eating Disorder" and I think it's at around 3000+ members right now. I can't recommend that group enough, they're so helpful and awesome.

Thank you. I will check out that group.
    I binge/stress eat when I start to get compliments on my efforts.
    Being sexually abused and and such I have identified being "skinny" as a negative but I hate having so much fat. Therapy hasn't helped but I think that is because I haven't found someone who understands what I'm goings through.

Ask your insurance to recommend a therapist who works with people with eating disorders or other people in recovery. My therapist is awesome. She's even gone to meetings with me!
  • lewispwest
    Options
    laurajo521 wrote: »
    Therapy if you can afford it (or your insurance will pay for it, which it probably will). I find that my low dose of anti-depressants help as well, but you should discuss that with your doctor. OA helps too. It has taken several years of therapy, but for the most part, I have a healthy relationship with food these days.

I have actually been on citalopram since about a week before I started my diet in March so perhaps that has helped up until now. I will look into it though.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    (...) eating 3 whole 6-portion cheesecakes in a single day (on top of meals), not through choice but lack of control. There are more but I won't get into that. (...)
    I think you need more help than an online forum or calorie tracker can provide.

You could open your diary if you want opinions on your diet, though.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    can anyone send me the link to the groups in MPF? there is no way to do a "search" for the group :(
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Binge eating has a number of potential causes -

1. Chaotic eating - if you are missing meals, eating at random times, having food around and mindlessly grazing on it, etc.
    2. Calorie deficit is too large or your body fat % is too low for your body
    3. You have demonized food and tell yourself that you have no control over it. That often is an unfortunately side effect of cutting foods out completely.
    4. If you have blood sugar problems, eating patterns could also contribute to overeating
    5. Using food to cope with negative emotion (emotional eating)

It sounds like #3 is at play with you. For that I would recommend purposefully eating the scary, demonized food (in small portions) several times a week. This is purposeful practice of eating it without overeating it. Using mindful eating skills can help with this.

You might also want to check into #2.

Good luck!

Professional help could save you from years of struggle with this.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

During 2014 I was really successful on MFP, lost 75lbs (from 264lbs in April) no problem as I had absolutely cut out all sweet things (cake/chocolate bars/fizzy drinks etc) and had no cravings for them.

Since christmas, when everyone brought in chocolate virtually every day, I've been struggling with my binge eating habits resurfacing, doing some really shameful things such as eating 3 whole 6-portion cheesecakes in a single day (on top of meals), not through choice but lack of control. There are more but I won't get into that.

I'm slowly getting a grip on myself again by cutting everything out but was wondering what others going through it had done to handle BED? I've made healthy snacks available to myself to eat when I do get urges but I still get that little voice that says "go get a cheesecake, you've earned it".

Thanks all.

I dont cut anything out. I continue to face those foods, and grit my teeth until I have learned to control myself. And I am a binge eater, dont make any mistakes about that.

I tend to binge on kraft singles and saltine crackers. Its a favorite binge food for me. But I continue to have those foods around, because the problem is not the food, its me.

I take anti anxiety medication, I do yoga, and recently have taken up coloring mandalas. I journal sometimes, and log as much of my binges as I can. If anyone on my MFP friends list is bothered by entries such as "whole cheesecake" they are welcome to GTFO.

After a binge I just take some stomach medicine (tums, pepto bismol) brush my teeth, and start fresh the next day/next meal.

I keep an overall eye on my week's calories to make sure I dont gain weight, but I do have the occasional high number week. All I can do is keep doing my best, and to not sink down into shame. (which leads to MOAR BINGING)

• Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have/had an eating disorder. It wasn't until I found a wonderful psychologist who specialized in those with eating disorders did I discover past demons lurking in my inner soul were the culprit behind why I was self-sabotaging myself. I'm not saying everyone needs to see a shrink, but I think deep down inside there are more than physiological aspects affecting how we eat.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out as well, well I did at first and it led to more binging. Or I would binge so hard and not eat the next day at all to make up for my *mistake*, I find that slowly facing the food helps you to overcome it.Though, I'm not always that strong. I still have a hard time at work as well because there's always food galore there and soon as I'm offered it I say YES regardless of what it is. I feel like a trained dog sometimes doing a trick and food at work is the reward. So I started thinking of it that way and now when someone at work asks me if I want cake, fudge, brownies, cookies, pie...etc I ask myself am I trained dog? I have my day planned and if you start shoveling down you're going to push yourself out of whack and the safe comfortable place you've found. Sometimes my brain wins and sometimes my mouth wins.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »
    I have/had an eating disorder. It wasn't until I found a wonderful psychologist who specialized in those with eating disorders did I discover past demons lurking in my inner soul were the culprit behind why I was self-sabotaging myself. I'm not saying everyone needs to see a shrink, but I think deep down inside there are more than physiological aspects affecting how we eat.

Yes, this was my problem too until I found a lovely therapist. It's okay to talk to someone, don't be ashamed too is the best advice I can give. I wish I would of told someone sooner.