Bicycle Question!

I live in the desert area and right now summer degrees are like around 100-110 lately. Do you lose more weight if you sweat more, or is that just a myth. I can put on a bunch of sun screen and sweat like crazy while riding my bike, but I only wanna put myself through that if the pay-off is better. Normally I do night rides and try and push myself more and more. What should I do here in arizona?

BTW: I know all about hydration and heat exhaustion so we don't need to go into detail about that at all.

Replies

• Rouchiha
    Rouchiha Posts: 19
    I pretty sure that you'll get a number of responses saying that it is just water and you'll put it back on when you re-hydrate but I think that sweating during a workout is good, I can't say for sure that you will loss more weight by sweating more. However I know that when I sweat more in a workout I do end up feeling better and am able to see better changes in the way my body looks, I also feel as though I succeeded in my workout. I would say that as long as you are seeing good changes and feeling better and not overdoing yourself it's great.
  • OLeoLionessO
    OLeoLionessO Posts: 152
    bump
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    I am 99% sure you do not lose any additional weight or have any benefit of sweating more while exercising. In fact, you could do damage by having a heat stroke. You will lose more at first, but its all water weight and will be regained after rehydrating.

That said, there are other benefits of sweating more. Sweating is a great way for your body to cleanse itself of many toxins. That is why saunas are so nice.

Nothing wrong with sweating more, but you are not going to gain any weight benefit other than a short term drop.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    read this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/236758-weight-loss-by-sweating/

I think it's probably best to stick with your night rides.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I live in the desert area and right now summer degrees are like around 100-110 lately. Do you lose more weight if you sweat more, or is that just a myth. I can put on a bunch of sun screen and sweat like crazy while riding my bike, but I only wanna put myself through that if the pay-off is better. Normally I do night rides and try and push myself more and more. What should I do here in arizona?

BTW: I know all about hydration and heat exhaustion so we don't need to go into detail about that at all.

You will get an elevated HR during that sort of exercise in hot weather because of the heat which will help burn more calories and so help with weightloss, however, much of it will be through the dehydration too which will immediately be replaced once you take a drink. On the whole though, as for losing more weight because of sweating however, I would say that is just a myth.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    You'll lose more water weight the more you sweat, but as soon as you're recovered from the ride the weight will be back.

So... water weight? Yes. Body weight? No.
  • OLeoLionessO
    OLeoLionessO Posts: 152
    thanks everyone!