Fitness tracker - looking for waterproof with heart rate monitor HELP

Options
Hi all, I have lost 13 pounds so far and I have been looking into getting a fitness tracker, but I can't seem to find one that fits my criteria. I'm looking for one that is waterproof, has a heart rate monitor or it's a deal breaker, has long battery life (i.e. not the kind you have to charge weekly unless its a quick charge, but the kind with like a watch battery in it), also something that is not too ugly, I am a girl after all. I don't want pink more like black or teal but I don't want an ugly screen or a really manly design. Last but not least I want something under about 150 dollars. Does anyone know of anything like this? I've been looking but I'm hoping maybe I've missed a brand or something, can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    May I ask what you think you're going to use it for?

Because a HRM is only useful for steady state cardio, the mathematical formulae that underpin it are not relevant for general living, weights, HIIT etc

Personally I use a fitbit for general step-based activity tracking over the day and a specific HRM for my gym workouts
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I can rocemmend Polar FT7 as a heartrate monitor. It is waterproof, battery lasts up to 12 months and it is quite accurate. Oh and you can get it in girly colours. You can also buy a chest strap for swimming. I've heard some complaints about it not working properly under water but mine works fine. It does not include an activity tracker though.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any one product that meets all your criteria.
  • ashliech
    ashliech Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am starting with the fitbit flex. I did some research and decided to start small and simple. But also keep in mind you have to stay focused eat good. Portion control, working out. Good luck on your journey.
  • clatorre423
    Options
    Polar ft60
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Polar loop is the only tracker I know of that is waterproof and works with a heart rate monitor. (Sold separately.) But it must be charged regularly, though it charges quickly. My husband uses a Loop.

I think the Loop + HRM should be around $135-150. Got Hubby's thru Amazon so price can fluctuate.

teresuhhh wrote: »
    Hi all, I have lost 13 pounds so far and I have been looking into getting a fitness tracker, but I can't seem to find one that fits my criteria. I'm looking for one that is waterproof, has a heart rate monitor or it's a deal breaker, has long battery life (i.e. not the kind you have to charge weekly unless its a quick charge, but the kind with like a watch battery in it), also something that is not too ugly, I am a girl after all. I don't want pink more like black or teal but I don't want an ugly screen or a really manly design. Last but not least I want something under about 150 dollars. Does anyone know of anything like this? I've been looking but I'm hoping maybe I've missed a brand or something, can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Go to polar.com and check out the a300. It looks like it may be what you need.

It comes out soon I think.
  • teresuhhh
    teresuhhh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want one with a heart rate monitor because i walk every day and i want to make sure I'm hitting my target heart rate during my walks and eventually my workouts too. Thanks for the suggestions guys, and if anyone has any more that would be great too! I am off to check out polar.com as I've never heard of it, thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    teresuhhh wrote: »
    I want one with a heart rate monitor because i walk every day and i want to make sure I'm hitting my target heart rate during my walks and eventually my workouts too.

You have quite a comprehensive set of requirements that really limit what the best answer would be. Note that I say best rather than right as I get the impression that you're presupposing that one device will do all you want.

It's not clear if you want waterproof to use in the pool and whether you merely want something that you can use in the pool, or an HRM that'll work in the pool. If the latter, then you're restricted to Polar devices.

So I'd suggest a step counter for walking, rather than an HRM. If you work on Rate of Percieved Exertion then you'll get as much value as targetting a specific heart rate range.

If you swim then you'll be interested in something that counts laps, so the Garmin Swim watch or the forthcoming VivoActive might meet your needs, although the Garmin HRMs don't transmit through the water.

Note that the vivoActive also has a step counter, although if you're not swimming then the Vivofit or VivoSmart might do the trick as far as walking is concerned.

The emerging generation of devices include some that take HR through an optical sensor at the wrist. while they're pretty accurate at reading HR they are vulnerable to movement or working loose. That said the chance of an inaccurate read in the pool cf no HR data at all might make sense for you.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Polar F4
    I have one and it works great in my water aerobics class.