been at this since Jan. 2, 2015

Options
Good morning!
I have been on MFP since Jan. 2, 2015 and I have seen progress but I guess I thought I would see more.
I have lost 10 lbs since Jan. 2 by eating 1310 cals per day and going to the gym. Now I was not a complete couch potato before but I did not work out like I do now. Now I do circuit training on machines on Monday and Thursday.
Tuesday I play floor hockey,
Wednesday, Sat and Sun I take a 45 min spin class.

I know I could be eating better foods but I am trying to make this stick. I have opened my diary as I know people will ask, but I am wondering if I am just not being patient enough or what I should do differently. I seem to be fluctuating the same 2 lbs the past 4 weeks.
I welcome all suggestions.....

Oh before anyone asks I don't track water on my diary. I do have one coffee in the morning, and then water throughout the day totaling about 4 16oz glasses and then another bottle when I hit the gym and tea before bed...........

Thank you all for any input!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1) do not overvalue your exercise calories - most of the MFP databse and machine burns overestimate and the standard advice is to only eat back 50-75% (you can double-click on the entries to overwrite)

2) Tighten up on your logging - you need to weigh as much as possible and never use cups where you can avoid it .. there can be hundreds of calories in the cup estimation over a gram entry. Select entries with care, use the non-starred (USDA entries) or the starred entries with most user confirmation and double-check against packs and other calorie databases. NEVER use other people's homemade, build your own recipes

Hope that helps
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you. I will start to use my scale more often then measuring spoons.......
    and I do already cut the fitness time to better estimate the calorie burn. for a 45 mins spin class I log 40 mins etc.......
    I should add that I am 5"6 and weighted 185 lbs when I started and now weigh 175 lbs so I still have a good 30 lbs to go.........
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Tabithas_Transformation Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    All of what rabbitjb said - really important to double check all the entries on MFP against the packet you've got in front of you. If you eat the particular food item quite regularly then you'll soon find the entries you know to be correct but it will take a lot of effort initially.

Also invest in a food scale if you can - you'll be amazed how small a serving size is when you weigh it out. Good luck! :)

ETA: Don't forget the impact of your TOM too - I don't know about you but I get crazy water retention around that time and might hold on to the same couple of pounds for a week or two before suddenly whooshing down.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're losing a pound a week, that's excellent!
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dietician, the last week the sodium intake seems high. I know from recent experience if I eat way too much sodium I gain 2-3 lbs. and it takes a couple of days to flush out the salt with lots of water. A pound a week weight loss is still great. :)
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started on 5th Jan, so about the same time, and have also lost 10lbs. I'm really happy with that though as I only have MFP set at a goal of losing 1lb/week, so 10lbs in 7 weeks is good!

Based on your profile pic and daily cal allowance, I don't think you're significantly overweight? If you don't have masses to lose, it's not really possible to do fast weight loss. If I change my goal to 1.5lbs/week, it gives me 1,200 cals per day, but as that's the minimum it also says that if I want to lose 2lbs/week - ie at my weight I can't lose 2lbs a week without undereating.

I've had a couple of times when I've stayed the same, so I went 149lbs, 149lb, 147lbs, 147lbs... Keep plugging away and tracking everything (both food and exercise) accurately and the scales will start to move again. Don't slacken off on using your food scales to ensure your logging is accurate.

I eat 100% of my exercise cals, but I only log my running and cycling, not any of the lifestyle stuff like gardening. But for running and cycling, where I track them with apps and know my exact speed and time, I find the cals in the database spot on. They tie up with what my heart rate monitor calculates.

I'm the same height as you and a few years ago lost weight from 182lbs to 140lbs. I did it slowly, averaging 1-1.5lbs per week throughout. Slow and steady wins the race - I kept it off for about three years. 16lbs crept back on late last year when I had medical treatment, which is why I'm back now, but confident I can maintain again once I'm back at goal. The point is... You'll get there. It's a long slog, I know, but you'll make it if you want it. :) Then you can look smug when your friends who crash-diet on the latest fad diet put their weight back on. ;)

p.s. While my diet is pretty healthy overall, I've lost 10lbs while still having pizza once a week and fish and chips every Friday night. I completely agree that you should make changes you should stick to, not only during weight loss but afterwards, when you switch to maintenance.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    First off, a pound is week is an excellent rate of loss. Don't let your expectations steal your progress.

I looked at your diary. Definitely need to be using your food scale. I'm seeing a lot of "1 servings" and "2 waffles" type of stuff. I understand that sometimes that's what you need to put in due to the entry options, but double check those "2 waffles" against the weight listed on the nutritional label. You might find that those "2 waffles" are really 1.8 waffles or 2.1 waffles when you weigh them out. Just a point of caution.

This next part has ZERO to do with your rate of weight loss.

Based on your macros, you must be starving! You need to be eating more protein and fat than you currently are. You are way under on your protein most days. Please do yourself and favor and try to hit your protein and fat macros every day. I'm not saying you have to be perfect, but it will go a long way for your satiety and energy levels.
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started on 5th Jan, so about the same time, and have also lost 10lbs. I'm really happy with that though as I only have MFP set at a goal of losing 1lb/week, so 10lbs in 7 weeks is good!

Based on your profile pic and daily cal allowance, I don't think you're significantly overweight? If you don't have masses to lose, it's not really possible to do fast weight loss. If I change my goal to 1.5lbs/week, it gives me 1,200 cals per day, but as that's the minimum it also says that if I want to lose 2lbs/week - ie at my weight I can't lose 2lbs a week without undereating.

I've had a couple of times when I've stayed the same, so I went 149lbs, 149lb, 147lbs, 147lbs... Keep plugging away and tracking everything (both food and exercise) accurately and the scales will start to move again. Don't slacken off on using your food scales to ensure your logging is accurate.

I eat 100% of my exercise cals, but I only log my running and cycling, not any of the lifestyle stuff like gardening. But for running and cycling, where I track them with apps and know my exact speed and time, I find the cals in the database spot on. They tie up with what my heart rate monitor calculates.

I'm the same height as you and a few years ago lost weight from 182lbs to 140lbs. I did it slowly, averaging 1-1.5lbs per week throughout. Slow and steady wins the race - I kept it off for about three years. 16lbs crept back on late last year when I had medical treatment, which is why I'm back now, but confident I can maintain again once I'm back at goal. The point is... You'll get there. It's a long slog, I know, but you'll make it if you want it. :) Then you can look smug when your friends who crash-diet on the latest fad diet put their weight back on. ;)

p.s. While my diet is pretty healthy overall, I've lost 10lbs while still having pizza once a week and fish and chips every Friday night. I completely agree that you should make changes you should stick to, not only during weight loss but afterwards, when you switch to maintenance.

Thank you so very much for this! Needed to hear it from someone that has been here!!!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in less than 2 months is excellent. Keep up what your doing. People tend to want to lost it all immediately, but you didn't gain it all in in 2 months, it won't all come off in 2 months either.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're frusterated, but to me 10 pounds in less than two months sounds awesome!
  • samcou90
    samcou90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Same here dimasj i started new years day and have only lost 8lb and keep bouncing within the same 2lb. But i think it will take time to come off, just stick at it. The way i see it is yes id love to drop half a stone a month but because iv a lot to loose 4 stone, i want to loose it at a healthy rate for my skin and body and as a learning curve with my eating habbitd. I struggle with chocolate, upset, happy, shopping and board i want chocolate lol x