What's happening?

Options
I've been using MFP for a while now. I've set my calorie intake at 1720. I've been eating healthy and no cheats. I've actually gained. I'm a male age 50, I lift 3x/week and work an active job. I just did a TDEE calculation that says in need 2768 calories and a BMR calculation that says I require 2668 calories. Have I inadvertently lowered my metabolism?
what would be a realistic number for safe weight loss? I reset my goal to 2168 calories is this a more realistic number?
I'm also type 2 diabetic but not on meds.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can you open your diary? And there has to be a discrepancy in your BMR/TDEE calculations. A sedentary person will burn about 20% more calories than BMR.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How long have you been at this and how long have you been exercising? It's normal to retain water when starting a new exercise program.
    A quick look at your diary, are you weighing and measuring? Do NOT use generic entries, they are usually inaccurate. Also, your protein is pretty low.
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for Bout a a month now. I've been going to the gym since mid November.i usually drink 6 glasses of water every day. On 1720 calories I'm always hungry. I'll open my diary up.
  • Fugley01
    Options
    Just did a re-calculation on my BMR. I came out with 1727. That seems more like it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest lowering your daily by about 100 calories but adjust your macros for a little more protein and fat for fullness.
  • Fugley01
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok. I've reset my fat and protein to 30 and 30 with 40% carbs.
    Funny thing, between October and January I lost almost 20lbs(before I found MFP). I was never hungry.
  • Fugley01
    Options
    The carb re-adjustment has paid off. Since November, when I weighed at my most, 217lbs I'm now at 185.5lbs.
    My chest size is the same but no more moobs (man boobs). I have lost my arm flab and actually gained 1" on my biceps. I've gone from wearing a large T-shirt to a medium which fits like it should. I also need a belt now as well.
    My optimal weight range according to the BMI is in the high 140's. I do a lot of heavy lifting so if I get to 160lbs I'll be more than happy.
    I did reach one goal this week. I can now bench press my body weight:) once I hit 180, I'll reset my goal to 170.