Running shoes

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Primary - Brooks Ravenna
    Wet/snow - Brooks Ghost GTX (waterproof...brilliant. Except in rain. Then the Gore-Tex backfires and when water gets in the top of the shoe, it doesn't leave.)
    Trail - Saucony Xodus

I like the royal blue in the Saucony lines right now; thinking of taking the Guide or Ride for a spin whenever I can run again.

I love my Guides which is funny since I was originally fit for the Guide 5s 3 years ago and returned them for the Adidas Glide 4s. One is a stabilizer and the other is neutral.

The Rides are neutral but the Guides are the stability shoe.
    The Triumpoh ISOs are really comfy but I don't know about running in them. I tried them on for fun
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    I've had two pair of Karhu and got over 500 miles out of each.
    That 500 mile thing is good to hear haha

What ones did you have @jrline?
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just bought Brooks Ravenna...I need a stability shoe...it said these were neutral but they are very supportive where I need them.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My current shoes are Asics Kayanos. I've also used the Asics Nimbus and GT-3000. I do like Mizuno as well. I've never heard of the Karhu brand. I'll have to research it.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    one was Strong I got on Clearance can't remember what the other one was. I go with comfortable and good value. I can't afford over $100 for a pair of shoes.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    My current shoes are Asics Kayanos. I've also used the Asics Nimbus and GT-3000. I do like Mizuno as well. I've never heard of the Karhu brand. I'll have to research it.

@oneloopygirl, what do you think of the GT-3000s? Your the only other person I've "met" who has used them. They're only available at specialty running shops (I talked to an Asics reps specifically about them). I think because I'm used to the Guide 7s and the GT-3000s, that's why I didn't like the GT-2000s
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Asics that I bought at JCPenney. They've done me pretty well, but I'm not a hard-core runner by any means. When I start doing more, I'll have to invest in a good pair.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've never heard of Karhu. I am a big Brooks fan.. I've been wearing the Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes for a few years now. Previously I was having some foot problems but haven't had any since (knock on wood). Granted before getting fitted (and Brooks GTS being suggested to me), I'd just buy the most colorful, cheapest shoes I could find. I could get away with that in my early 20s but it started to catch-up with me, I guess.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i finally got fitted yesterday :) and got Asics Gel Cumulus, ran on them last night and they were great. It was between them and Brooks, but i'm not sure on the model because once I put on the asics it was like the heavens parted.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I keep trying different brands but always end up in Brooks. Right now I like Ravenna, it has cushion but also stability. Like someone else noted above, I had toe problems in the Ghost. I need to check out Mizuno after seeing all the love on here. I have running friends who are raving about Altra. Has anyone tried them?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i have only ever run in Nike LunarGlide 5. since they are now discontinued, I will look into Lunarglide 6. But just as important as shoes is socks. I run in R-gear from road runner sports and also have Balega and feetures.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    I keep trying different brands but always end up in Brooks. Right now I like Ravenna, it has cushion but also stability. Like someone else noted above, I had toe problems in the Ghost. I need to check out Mizuno after seeing all the love on here. I have running friends who are raving about Altra. Has anyone tried them?
    @JenMaselli
    Check out the Long distance runner group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

In the thread titled "Feet", a few people recommended them to me.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    i have only ever run in Nike LunarGlide 5. since they are now discontinued, I will look into Lunarglide 6. But just as important as shoes is socks. I run in R-gear from road runner sports and also have Balega and feetures.

@Prince_Eric_619‌
    http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Lunarglide-White-Running-Shoes/dp/B00AMU0DFK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424712070&sr=8-3&keywords=nike+lunarglide
    You can still find them on Amazon
  • newtsonfeet
    newtsonfeet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recently went from brooks ghost to Mizuno WaveRider 18 and have been really pleased but wouldn't hestitate getting back into Ghost 6. For the trails, I run in Brooks Cascadia 10.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options

@oneloopygirl, what do you think of the GT-3000s? Your the only other person I've "met" who has used them. They're only available at specialty running shops (I talked to an Asics reps specifically about them). I think because I'm used to the Guide 7s and the GT-3000s, that's why I didn't like the GT-2000s

@lishie_rebooted‌ - I honestly didn't like them as much as other shoes I've worn. They are a little heavier than the Kayanos I recently got. I think they also have more correction than I need. When I was fitted, they said I have a very slight overpronation and the 3000s are great for that, but I honestly think it was too much for me. I wore them for 3 or 4 months, but never really felt like they were what I needed. I went to the Kayano, which is a more neutral shoe and really do like it better.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Road shoes are Saucony Hurricane 15s, three pairs in a cycle. About to slip a pair of Hurricane 16 into the cycle to allow me to retire another pair.

Trail shoes are Excursion GTX for winter and X0dus for summer and racing.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

@lishie_rebooted‌ - I honestly didn't like them as much as other shoes I've worn. They are a little heavier than the Kayanos I recently got. I think they also have more correction than I need. When I was fitted, they said I have a very slight overpronation and the 3000s are great for that, but I honestly think it was too much for me. I wore them for 3 or 4 months, but never really felt like they were what I needed. I went to the Kayano, which is a more neutral shoe and really do like it better.
    @oneloopygirl, the 3000s are pretty intense in the correction department which is why you can only get them from specialty stores.
    The 2000s probably would have been enough if it's only a slight pronation (guessing since I haven't seen you run). But upon talking to the Asics guy, there's an extra length of material giving you that stability in the 3000s.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hmm A pair of running shoes.......I have 5 so maybe I have issues.

For regular street running I rotate 3 different pairs of New Balance - all the 580V's

For trail running I have a pair of Adidas with a very aggressive tread which has been fantastic in the snow. The other is a pair of New Balance great for running the root bound wooded trails.

I always know the minute I slip a pair on if they're going to work, as someone else said it's like Cinderella.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Hmm A pair of running shoes.......I have 5 so maybe I have issues.

For regular street running I rotate 3 different pairs of New Balance - all the 580V's

For trail running I have a pair of Adidas with a very aggressive tread which has been fantastic in the snow. The other is a pair of New Balance great for running the root bound wooded trails.

I always know the minute I slip a pair on if they're going to work, as someone else said it's like Cinderella.
    I've got 4 pairs in rotation and 2 more in line so no judging.
    I might go for trail shoes for next winter. I was looking at some on Runner's Warehouse last week. I'm also considering dabbling in trail running as well...
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Primary - Brooks Ravenna
    Wet/snow - Brooks Ghost GTX (waterproof...brilliant. Except in rain. Then the Gore-Tex backfires and when water gets in the top of the shoe, it doesn't leave.)
    Trail - Saucony Xodus

I like the royal blue in the Saucony lines right now; thinking of taking the Guide or Ride for a spin whenever I can run again.

I love my Guides which is funny since I was originally fit for the Guide 5s 3 years ago and returned them for the Adidas Glide 4s. One is a stabilizer and the other is neutral.

The Rides are neutral but the Guides are the stability shoe.
    The Triumpoh ISOs are really comfy but I don't know about running in them. I tried them on for fun

Yup, my current shoes are a mixture of moderate stability and neutral...I can't tell the difference; I just think "comfortable" and "cute colors." (Style first, power second, safety third!)