Is a spiralizer a useful kitchen tool, or just a gimmick? Do you use yours often?

Options

Replies

• mhook760
    mhook760 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I got a $5 one off amazon - does the job brilliantly for next to nothing. Doesn't take up much space either. Love my zoodles!
  • julie_past
    julie_past Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just got one. It was only around $10. I've used it quite a bit since I got it. It doesn't take up too much space and I do foresee myself using it quite a bit.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have a mandolin and a spiralizer, I usually recommend to just get a mandolin if you aren't sure about the spiralizer. The mandolin does the same thing but it also does more.
    That said, I use both regularly and love them. They are cheap through Amazon and for me they were worth every penny. But I will say; zucchini noodles taste nothing like real pasta to me. If I am craving pasta, I need real pasta (that doesn't happen often). It helped me get more vegetables into my diet.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    I'm not fussed about pasta but like the idea of veggies a bit differnt and bulking meals with them...might try the hand job first (!!) - so does the gdaget use the soft middle bit too??

It leaves behind a little core. We call it the Zucchini Weenie. (Tee hee.) I usually just chop it up and toss it in my sauce.

jnnljymxzyqh.jpg

Thanks. Love the weenie :-)

• LiveForTheWilderness
    Options
    We use our spiralizer two or three times a week for zucchini/squash noodles for alfredo pastas or stir fries. Love it.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have the Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer. i use it often. I can not eat pasta and use zoodles as a substitute if i make tomato or alfredo sauce and pasta for my family. it saves me from having to make an entirely different meal for myself. its also handy when the family has asian food with rice. i usually make myself an asian inspired cucumber salad
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I like mine. It's a bit of a novelty but it takes up so little space compared to some of my other kitchen gadgets, so I keep it around.
  • Becky_LaBelle
    Becky_LaBelle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a tabletop spiralizer that I bought for about $30 bucks with 3 blades (there is now a 4 blade version) and a hand held version I got for about $10 on Amazon recently. I've used the tabletop version many times. I love zucchini especially sauteed with a little butter some tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. I've almost completely given up pasta since a portion is so small. I can eat like 2 cups of zucchini. If you're used to pasta or really like pasta, it's not the same. It is a nice spin to put on veggies. I've also done ribbons with my spiralizer, also a nice touch. I have a julienne peeler and a mandoline (I love my kitchen gadgets). I have been able to stick to eating healthy since I've got creative with my veggie cuts. I could only eat but so much salad, broccoli and chicken breasts. I'd recommend one of the hand versions to start. If you have a big family or want more blades try the tabletop version.
  • mjsmamma
    mjsmamma Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Echoing the rest of the commenters, I have the Vegetti, we have as much fun with saying the name as making the zucchini noodles. I had linguini and red clam sauce with the zoodles and it was so satisfying and I had a huge bowl for minimal calories.
  • KatyLBC
    KatyLBC Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a Spirooli! I love it for zoodles, sweet potato curls, cucumber. It was quite affordable from Bed, Bath and Beyond!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I also have the vegetti and love it. It was like $10 at Marshall's and worth every penny. Zoodles are awesome!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see healthy eating (whole foods) described as a "fad diet."
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    LOVE mine! It's a great way to incorporate veggies into your diet by substituting veggies noodles for pasta noodles (or mixing them together) to both decrease calories and increase veggie consumption. Not really sure how eating more veggies is a fad. A julienne peeler will work equally well for soft veggies like zucchini, but doesn't work as well for hard vegetables. After slicing my finger a few times trying to julienne sweet potatoes, I went for the spiralizer. I'm glad I did, and I've converted a couple other people too after they tried spiralized vegetables.
    - Edit: One word of caution, though, don't expect vegetable noodles to be just like pasta or soup noodles. They are a different kind of good. Which I prefer depends on my mood and exactly how I'm using them. My mom, on the other hand, swears that she likes zucchini noodles much better than regular pasta.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    OP, probably more a question for you, has nothing to do with some of the comments here...do you like to cook? Are you into making different types foods? Would a kitchen gadget like this make you happy & excited in the kitchen? Seriously, if it would, then I would get it. If not, then spend your hard earned money on a different kitchen gadget that you like.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear to people 'investigating' these gadgets, Spiralizer and Vegetti are quite different products. The Spiralizer is much larger and more expensive:
    zxu5utabjbd4.jpg
    3wpbhgkg5t3k.jpg
    Personally, I have a Vegetti and quite like it, but don't use it that much.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I have two different kinds:

1. Kitchen Basics® Spiral Vegetable Slicer -- for use on Zuchinni, and
    2. Abco Tech New and Essential Tri-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer - for bigger vegetables, like celery root, potatos, etc.

I use mine quite often. I have made the faux veggie noodles to replace pasta for stir fry, speghetti and soups. Depending on what I am making, it could involve a little prep time, but I like to cook. I like looking for new ways to prepare things, I like to experiment, I like the look on my wife's face when I make something she enjoys.

I'm not looking to replace things like pasta or rice, etc. But I do enjoy researching and coming up with an occasional healthy alternative.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, seems pretty black and white - you either love it or you don't. I might have to just get one and see if I use it, they're not super expensive.

And for the record, I actually didn't know that a Spiralizer was an actual branded product, I thought it was a generic name for a device that cuts veggies into thin strips like noodles.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sorry, OP, I don't have a spiralizer but it's a sorry state of affairs when you have to justify eating "fad" whole foods. lol Crazy times!

This was my first reaction as well.

ps: i wish I had a spiralizer. We love sauce over squash.
  • Veggierosa
    Veggierosa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love my Paderno Spiralizer. My favourite "noodles" are daikon noodles with Asian dishes and chayote noodle salad with Mexican dishes. I just got this tool 3 weeks ago so I'm experimenting!
  • MsTiff1981
    MsTiff1981 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love my spiralizer. I make zoodles. I spiralizes potatoes, and sweet potatoes, toss with a little olive oil and bake them. They come out super crunchy. My dogs love the left over core from the zucchini. My Jack Russell jumps straight up and down when I take the spiralizer out. It is so funny.