Under Calories, Over Carbs & Fat

Uggggh, so how much does it matter? Calorie count is under but those other columns - carbs, fat and sugar, are often "over". And if it doesn't matter that much for weight loss, why are those columns even there? Enlighten this dullard, please. Thanks.

Replies

• NannaKelly
    NannaKelly Posts: 2 Member
    I was glad to see your post cause I'm in the same boat. Hope you get answers. I am 54 and need low carb so that increases protein need which makes it easy to over fat and sodium. This site is definitely helping me realize the areas I need to watch but....... Keep up the good work don't quit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    You can go into the goal settings and change the percentage of your macros. I personally think that MFP's defaults for carbs is too high and the protein is too low so adjusted mine. For those on a low carb diet doing that is especially important so you have targets to aim at.

Many people will tell you that it really doesn't matter what combination of macros you are eating as long as you are under your calories for the day. I personally think that too much sugar and total carbs isn't a great idea and there are people really can't eat that much of them without problems.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Whether it matters depends on your goals. If you are trying to lose weight, you will find that carbs, fat, and sugar are typically calorie dense. Eating foods that are lower in carbs, fat, and sugars will allow you to consume a larger volume of food for the same calories.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    It won't matter for weight loss in the abstract.

It may matter to you for other reasons:

Like beemerphile1 says, it can help you learn what keeps you feeling satisfied and well. Having the columns may or may not be helpful for you.

It can also help you with nutrition goals if you have them, etc. For folks on a specific plan -- like low carb -- they have to monitor carbs, but then also fat should be pretty high, and protein fairly, so they need the columns. But low carb is not right for everyone, and not necessary at all for weight loss.

IMO, don't undereat just because eating anything more would put you over in a column. (Assuming no medical conditions that affect this.)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    OK sounds good, thanks!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    The only one to look for is sodium levels and keeping those low. High sodium levels= water retention.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Uggggh, so how much does it matter? Calorie count is under but those other columns - carbs, fat and sugar, are often "over". And if it doesn't matter that much for weight loss, why are those columns even there? Enlighten this dullard, please. Thanks.

If you are over on carbs and fat but under on calories, then you are not eating enough protein. This may not matter for weight loss, in fact it may speed it up slightly because you may lose more muscle than someone that ate enough protein.

The columns are there by default because carbs, fat and protein are macronutrients, meaning you should eat a lot of them. All are important for fitness, and the site is Myfitnesspal, not Myskinnypal.

Eat your protein.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Need2 you are so right. I am always under on protein. I'm vegetarian as of 11/14, supplementing with a protein shake at lunch, and nuts & beans, etc. but always always way under on protein. Thanks. (Plus I choose snacks like Honey Comb because I can have a full bowl to munch for only 120 calories or whatever, but there's very little nutrition there.)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    I agree with the posters above who said you may not be getting enough protein.

Yes, a calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight, but eating enough protein and fat will help you feel more satisfied and it will be easier to stay under your calories that way.

No harm in being off here and there, though.