OW!! HEADACHES!

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I recently got back into an exercise routine and using FP to watch my calories. Each afternoon, around 2:00, I get a HORRIBLE headache! I drink PLENTY of water during the day, but can't figure out what is causing these headaches. Any suggestions/remedies? Thank you!

Are you eating frozen dinners! High salt and preservatives gives me headaches! I never eat processed foods from the freezer section!

This is more likely a placebo effect of sorts. Salt and preservatives in "processed" foods will not actually give you headaches. There is no science to back this up, only fear-mongering broscience.

This is nonsense. Had the suggestion been that processed frozen foods give everyone headaches, then it might make some sense. But one does not need a scientific study to know what triggers a headache on a personal level. Trial and error is all that is needed.

OP is highly unlikely to be experiencing headaches due to "processed" foods. You can develop an allergy to anything, but most of the time, people read some junk science that an ingredient is "bad" and then suddenly start having reactions to it. This is a nocebo effect. It happens all the time (MSG, gluten, electromagnetic waves, microwaves, etc.).

Again, nonsense. All sorts of things can trigger headaches.

Yes there are many migraine triggers out there. All I'm saying that if someone was eating a lower calorie/carb diet and complaining of headaches, my first response would not be "Check your preservatives - chemicals can cause headaches!" Most of the general population does not have these sensitivities.

More likely, OP is not used to a lower carb intake and may not be properly fueling her body. When I first started, I was not eating enough calories, which caused me to be hungry and gave me headaches. Which is why I asked about her intake.

And that's a perfectly valid suggestion. It gave you headaches, so perhaps it is also the cause of hers. Which is exactly what the other poster did.

Okay. That does not change the fact that most people are not sensitive to preservatives and that they are unlikely to be the cause of OP's headaches. Most people who have a fear of preservatives and claim to have reactions to them (other than people who have a genuine migraine trigger or allergy) only have "reactions" because they read somewhere that the chemical was bad. That poster's suggestion would not apply to the general population, which was what I was pointing out.

What science do you have to back up your statements? How many people are sensitive to preservatives? What are the odds that OP isn't? What are the odds of having a sensitivity that does not apply to the "general population"?

These are not serious questions btw. I'm just pointing out the nonsense of expecting someone sharing personal experience as a helpful suggestion to back up that experience with science.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I recently got back into an exercise routine and using FP to watch my calories. Each afternoon, around 2:00, I get a HORRIBLE headache! I drink PLENTY of water during the day, but can't figure out what is causing these headaches. Any suggestions/remedies? Thank you!

Are you eating frozen dinners! High salt and preservatives gives me headaches! I never eat processed foods from the freezer section!

This is more likely a placebo effect of sorts. Salt and preservatives in "processed" foods will not actually give you headaches. There is no science to back this up, only fear-mongering broscience.

This is nonsense. Had the suggestion been that processed frozen foods give everyone headaches, then it might make some sense. But one does not need a scientific study to know what triggers a headache on a personal level. Trial and error is all that is needed.

OP is highly unlikely to be experiencing headaches due to "processed" foods. You can develop an allergy to anything, but most of the time, people read some junk science that an ingredient is "bad" and then suddenly start having reactions to it. This is a nocebo effect. It happens all the time (MSG, gluten, electromagnetic waves, microwaves, etc.).

Yes there are many migraine triggers out there. All I'm saying that if someone was eating a lower calorie/carb diet and complaining of headaches, my first response would not be "Check your preservatives - chemicals can cause headaches!" Most of the general population does not have these sensitivities.

More likely, OP is not used to a lower carb intake and may not be properly fueling her body. When I first started, I was not eating enough calories, which caused me to be hungry and gave me headaches. Which is why I asked about her intake.

And that's a perfectly valid suggestion. It gave you headaches, so perhaps it is also the cause of hers. Which is exactly what the other poster did.

Okay. That does not change the fact that most people are not sensitive to preservatives and that they are unlikely to be the cause of OP's headaches. Most people who have a fear of preservatives and claim to have reactions to them (other than people who have a genuine migraine trigger or allergy) only have "reactions" because they read somewhere that the chemical was bad. That poster's suggestion would not apply to the general population, which was what I was pointing out.

What science do you have to back up your statements? How many people are sensitive to preservatives? What are the odds that OP isn't? What are the odds of having a sensitivity that does not apply to the "general population"?

Having a "sensitivity" to something is already an abnormal situation, being that if MOST people were affected by something, it wouldn't really be considered a "sensitivity." It would be the norm.

If a food contains additives and is legally sold en masse to the population, then the additives were deemed safe by the FDA. Companies can't sell things that don't fit into the FDA guidelines. So, government conspiracy theories aside, if something is considered safe by the FDA to be consumed by the general public, then I would assume that it does not cause adverse reactions in most people.

And yes, the nocebo effect is real. People will indeed read some article about something completely benign and start believing that they have all sorts of adverse reactions to it because of something they read. Gluten and MSG are the big ones that come to mind, but there are junk science articles and blogs written about pretty much everything these days.

My point is, if the OP is in good health and does not have any allergies or sensitivities (which is possible but not very likely) then the sodium and preservatives in the occasional frozen meal are not likely to be the cause of her headaches after her workouts.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2015
    Options

Having a "sensitivity" to something is already an abnormal situation, being that if MOST people were affected by something, it wouldn't really be considered a "sensitivity." It would be the norm.

If a food contains additives and is legally sold en masse to the population, then the additives were deemed safe by the FDA. Companies can't sell things that don't fit into the FDA guidelines. So, government conspiracy theories aside, if something is considered safe by the FDA to be consumed by the general public, then I would assume that it does not cause adverse reactions in most people.

And yes, the nocebo effect is real. People will indeed read some article about something completely benign and start believing that they have all sorts of adverse reactions to it because of something they read. Gluten and MSG are the big ones that come to mind, but there are junk science articles and blogs written about pretty much everything these days.

My point is, if the OP is in good health and does not have any allergies or sensitivities (which is possible but not very likely) then the sodium and preservatives in the occasional frozen meal are not likely to be the cause of her headaches after her workouts.

Foods don't have to be tested or considered safe by the FDA to be used in the US. They only have to be "generally recognized as safe". But "safe" has nothing to do with it. Bananas are "safe" but are also a common headache triggers.

I get it. You like to think others are being misled by the evil internet and "junk" science. I still think that is nonsense as a general rule. But, perhaps you are familiar with the poster to which you replied and know that they are prone to being misled.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Foods don't have to be tested or considered safe by the FDA to be used in the US. They only have to be "generally recognized as safe". But "safe" has nothing to do with it. Bananas are "safe" but are also a common headache triggers.

I get it. You like to think others are being misled by the evil internet and "junk" science. I still think that is nonsense as a general rule. But, perhaps you are familiar with the poster to which you replied and know that they are prone to being misled.

Agree to disagree I suppose. I think it's important to point out misinformation, and hanging out on these forums has made me cynical. A lot of fear-mongering does take place on here, and it is probably more helpful for OP to focus on the more likely causes of her headaches.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Agree to disagree I suppose. I think it's important to point out misinformation, and hanging out on these forums has made me cynical. A lot of fear-mongering does take place on here, and it is probably more helpful for OP to focus on the more likely causes of her headaches.

More helpful if it turns out to be a popular cause. Lots of headaches if it turns out to be a less popular cause.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Given how long it took for trans fats to be taken off the GRAS list, I would not assume this at all.
  • cdloyer
    cdloyer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Certain foods give me headaches/migranes. Your diary isn't open so I could only suggest it could possibly be that in changing your diet you have introduced more tyramine contains foods. I can tolerate some, but past a threshold I get horrid headaches.

Some typical tyramine foods are:
    Packaged meats
    Aged cheese
    Avacado
    Nuts & seeds
    Over ripe bananas
    Chocolate

Tyramine is a break down of tyrosine, an amino acid. There is a more comprehensive list on the internet. These are most of the ones I have to watch. Good luck.

It's possible you could be triggering a migraine based on the regularity of your headaches. Do you have a history?
  • beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had headaches when I started cutting back on calories. They went away in less than a week. I couldn't find any reason, other than that I had drastically cut back the amount of food I was eating. Maybe with a little time, your body will adjust too.
  • dhiggins210
    dhiggins210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing! I am hoping my body is just adjusting! It's always good to hear from someone that had the same expeience
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough. Try eating a little snack before and after your workout.

I get headaches from not eating enough, as well as fatigue.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My own personal advice?

To narrow things down, if you are having a headache at the same time every day, take a look at what else you are doing at the same time every day before then. Or if something else is happening at the same time every day around that time.

At the very least, it'll help you figure out if there is a food trigger, or an environmental trigger (visiting the same place where, say, there is an air freshener or some other possible chemical present), or a personal trigger (dealing with someone frustrating at the same tie daily) or even the exercise, if you exercise right before the headaches hit (exercise releases histamine as a natural process to elevate the heart rate, which for some folks can cause headaches). Or if something else seems to correlate.

Just wanted to comment on the nocebo effect in general. In my experience, doctors attribute reactions to a 'nocebo' effect far too quickly, often with little data to back their views up. The medical community these days seems to fall into the pitfall of equating 'no research done on a subject' to 'research exists to disprove a subject.' Simply because something hasn't been studied, or a cause has not yet been found for a patient's described reaction to something, does not mean that it is not a real, physical issue.

And while gluten is a great example of the nocebo effect, it's also a great example of an overuse of it by doctors.

Some patients complained for years that they were having neurological problems, including difficulties with walking and movement, when they ate gluten. They were told it was all in their head - nocebo effect. And then recently a researcher in the UK discovered that some celiacs make different antibodies (TG6) that attack and damage the nervous system. Turns out we just never had the right tech to detect the reaction before.

Another gluten example: based on extrapolation from randomized testing, about 1% of the population has celiac disease. About 97% of those people are not diagnosed, based on doctor statistics. Which leaves a few million people who are not diagnosed as celiacs, but who would experience a significant improvement in health when they go gluten free. Considering that doctor ignorance about gluten and celiac disease is so high that many don't even know how to test properly for it, or what the symptoms actually are, it's not surprising that these patients are missed, but I would bet money that if these patients mention their health improvement, some of them are going to be considered experiencing a nocebo effect.

I'm not trying to argue that there is not a legitimate nocebo effect, because there's some very good evidence that it exists. But it seems to be used frequently by medical professionals when they run into a patient experience that doesn't match their preconceived ideas, and when nothing can be detected easily with a few tests. It has always made me very hesitant to attribute this to others, because none of us can know exactly what they are experiencing.