Just a bit confused...

I am eating 1200 a day and sometimes I burn between 500 and 900 calories a day. I never eat the calories I burn is that good or bad? I was told that I needed to eat the calories that I burn to lose weight and now I am just a bit confused. Can some one explain this to me.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Bad. :noway:

Your daily goal at MFP already has you at a deficit - meaning eat to goal, all 1200 calories, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. When you burn calories through exercise, you're creating a HUGE deficit, and leaving your body with very little fuel to run on, which over time can cause all sorts of problems, like exhaustion, burn out, screwing up your metabolism and hormones, and giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

This is why MFP adds your exercise cals back into your daily goal - you are supposed to eat them, so that your daily NET cals are at your goal. Especially at 1200 a day, which is considered to be the bare minimum intake for women. Food is fuel - EAT!
  • Thanks a lot, you cleared it up pretty well for me. I'm going to try eating my calories and see if it helps. I guess it does considering that you are down 28lbs already. Thanks again.

BTW: I guess the Nurse Practitioner has no idea what shes talking about because today she told me not to eat back the calories that I burn :huh:
  • faymorg
    faymorg Posts: 2 Member
    I got stuck a couple weeks ago and my buddy did too! Our problem was we were working out hard and not eating back those calories!! Started eating them back and the weight loss kicked in gear again!! Its all crazy!! I think we need a degree in science to figure this all out!! Good luck. Oh there are days I dont eat them all back but try to come close!!