Eating at BMR and not losing

Options
13»

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I weigh stuff and only lose 0.5lbs a week. I was losing 1lb a week when I was doing carb cycling. Like I said above, I lost 66lbs after my 2nd baby (currently losing after my third) and I didn't use to weigh my food, except things like porridge oats. I'm losing at exactly the same rate, so weighing food makes zero difference to my weight loss. Maybe I am that rare person who overestimates rather than underestimates! I also exercise loads and don't eat back exercise calories.

Weight loss is different for everyone, and we all have a different metabolism, which is why I've seen threads saying 'help, eating 4000 calories and can't gain weight'. It seems to be accepted that some people have a fast metabolism, this isn't questioned, yet someone loses weight slowly, and they must be lying!

If it's only been a month you can't tell what next month's weight loss will be like, and the month after etc. Weight loss can sometimes take a while to kick off.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    oh and like the peanut butter i would do.
    1. put the whole jaw on the scale
    2. take your ....gram out of it.

So you know exactly how much you use.

I do this way with a lot of foods like butter etc.

76145189.png
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eat a little bit less, move a little bit more, and keep at it. You'll find what works as long as you don't give up! You are losing a little bit- which says you are on the right track! Keep going!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    oh and like the peanut butter i would do.
    1. put the whole jaw on the scale
    2. take your ....gram out of it.

So you know exactly how much you use.

Or just weigh it the way I do: Weigh the bread, tare, spread the peanut butter on top, weigh the bread again with the peanut butter.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Weighing EVERYthing is one method but hardly the only one. Estimating is fine, you just have to be patient and/or willing to just lower your calorie goal if your result isn't the pace you like.

Weighing fats is probably always a good idea, especially at first, though.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    I weigh up the whole finished dish. Say it comes out to 850 grams. I call it 850 servings when I enter the recipe into MFP. Later I weigh my portion in grams and put that number of servings into my diary. No remembering the weight of a serving.

Now that is a cool approach. Thanks for posting it!

I agree. That's a really neat idea.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Imo, the best way to figure recipes/ servings is to

Weigh your pan
    Weigh each ingredient as it goes into your pan...create recipe in mfp.
    Weight the ENTIRE finished dish
    Subtract the weight of the pan from the weight of the entire dish . Use this number for serving size. Each serving size will be 1 gram. When you eat, just log 100 servings (100grams).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Your logging is sloppy. Red beans & rice by the "serving"...peanut butter by the spoon...

Bottom line, you are almost certainly eating more than you think. Log more accurately, or shrink your portion sizes.