looking to buy weights for the house

I've been looking on for sale sites for some weights to buy...

What should I be looking for? What do you like to have at home?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Rogue.

This is a great, cheap setup.
    http://www.roguefitness.com/w4-garage-gym

Then just buy a few hundred pounds of plates.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    wow that's really nice, thank you.

What would you suggest for a smaller set up? planning on a move soon so where I move really depends on what I get as well.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    This:

Plus some dumbbells, pull up bar (not needed if your ceilings are high enough), pull up assistance bands.

If you're husband isn't going to lift with you, you can get away with the same plates I have. But if he joins you, he might max out somewhat quickly...
  • dbmata
    Depends on what you call smaller. You can go lower quality, for a smaller price. Or a physically smaller footprint. A buddy of mine has this:
    http://www.roguefitness.com/sml-2-rogue-90-monster-lite-squat-stand

couple bars, about 400# in bumper plates, a rack tree, bench, etc. You could get a good setup for sub $2500.
  • lishie_rebooted
    wow that's really nice, thank you.

What would you suggest for a smaller set up? planning on a move soon so where I move really depends on what I get as well.

I'd just wait until you move UNLESS you know where you're moving and the space you have to work with.
    That's what I ended up doing. Had the delivery guys drop off the rack the day before I moved and made the movers move it so I didn't have to lol
  • veganbettie
    Physically smaller I meant, I may get stuck in an apartment type deal.

Not too worried about the price at the moment. Those are really nice...
  • lishie_rebooted
    My rack is sitting on foam pads that are 2x2 each so it's in a space of like 6x8 I think
  • veganbettie
    Maybe i'll base where I move to on what set up I want. lol

California rent prices are super extreme so that's why i'm worried i'll be in an apartment. But maybe i'll luck out and they'll have a gym onsite. who knows.
  • dbmata

California rent prices are super extreme so that's why i'm worried i'll be in an apartment. But maybe i'll luck out and they'll have a gym onsite. who knows.

Telling me, I want to move back to SF...
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    I bought my stuff on Craigslist - so many people buy stuff and then quit - like new equipment & low prices. You want a bench, rack and probably about 200 lbs of weights. Not that you need it but I have 3 bars & two benches (one for doing bench presses and inclines and then another that I use the rack for squats and have the bench to the side for bench-only exercises. At least one of the benches should have a leg attachment and a curl attachment. The rack on the second bench has a lat attachment and a row attachment. One bar sits on the bench for bench presses, one on the rack for squats and the other on the floor for deadlift. This makes it easy to transition from one exercise to another without having to re-position plates, bars and benches. It all sits in my basement.

I bought all of the above and 510 lbs of Olympic plates on Craigslist for $450 (three separate purchases). If I had paid retail, I would have spent more than $1,200 for all of it. I didn't rush -but, set alerts for "Weights" on Craigslist - they go fast, especially if they are priced low like the ones I got. I snagged all of this over about a 4 month period -patience. Each piece of equipment was basically, "like new".
  • lishie_rebooted

That's kind of what I did.
    I was like "I really want a home set up" so I looked for places where I could make it happen.

If you can't get a rack set up, dumbbells and a bench plus a pull up bar.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    What are your goals? The equipment you get should fit what you want to accomplish. If you want to build strength while you work on weight loss, I’d get a barbell with something like a sumo rack (this one is smaller that those previous linked). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R46L20/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2MB6TZRGMYLBE&coliid=I2PIN4QFBK6XZX

If you’re interest in building functional fitness, you could go with a set of kettlebells.
  • veganbettie
    edited February 2015

I was like "I really want a home set up" so I looked for places where I could make it happen.

I'm thinking that's what I'll end up doing unfortunately, but I could always upgrade later. But it's better than what I have now, which is nothing.
  • veganbettie
    dbmata wrote: »

Telling me, I want to move back to SF...

Yup. I'm a few hours south of SF closer to LA, but the prices are pretty much the same. Granted, I don't have to deal with snowy hell...but the prices are killing me.
  • lishie_rebooted

I'm thinking that's what I'll end up doing unfortunately, but I could always upgrade later. But it's better than what I have now, which is nothing.

I use my dumbbells for warm ups and for some iso work even though I have the rack. And my bench and rack came separately so it works out. Wouldn't be too hard to upgrade.

Could get the adjustable dumbbells for space reasons
  • veganbettie
    Thank you @lishie_rebooted‌ as always your advice is super helpful.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Thank you @lishie_rebooted‌ as always your advice is super helpful.

No prob =]
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    I purchased a body solid power rack, oly bar, plates (bar + plates = 500 lbs), 6' 15lbs training bar and free shipping. I got a great deal on this from them (<$1200 for everything), but I contacted a bunch of different makers. Powertec, rouge, body craft, dark horse, new york bb, etc. and hunted around for the best deal. Where we lived before we purchased our home we had a height issue so that limited some of the equipment.

I recommend determining what you really want and then directly contacting a number of companies and seeing who will give you the best deal. Sometimes you can find stuff on CL but I find it's either gone by the time you contact them or they want almost the same price you can get for new. Plus CL offers usually require you to pick up and transport. Buying a new rack with free delivery was a big plus.

Also, read the forum over at bodybuilding.com on power racks, weights and barbells to determine companies to deal with. They usually will have contact names and will give a discount to people from that site. I got an extra percentage off just by saying I was sent there from bb.com.

Also, if you're in an apartment, make sure you put down some high density plywood plus horse stall mats prior to placing your rack. You'll be happier, your floor will be happier, your landlord will be happier and your neighbors will be happier. If you have a garage, place it there.

Best of luck.
  • veganbettie
    Thank you. :) Great advice.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Personally, look around see what you like, try to figure out the basic set-up, then honestly I recommend going out on Craigslist and similar sights and seeing what people are trying to get rid of, and 20 to 30 cents on the dollar. Some of what people are selling is junk, but the majority of it, is stuff, they bought , never used and want to get rid of. But having an idea of what you want to start with will help you.