i want to but i cant

Options
why cant i stick to it?

why as soon as the word diet is mentioned i get hungry and want chocolate?

why do i only ever last half a day before i consume all of my calories,then convince myself it will be ok because i will eat a healthy tea?

its not ok, im sick of it, but when i try, try really really hard, i ALWAYS fail, always.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    why cant i stick to it?

why do i only ever last half a day before i consume all of my calories,then convince myself it will be ok because i will eat a healthy tea?

its not ok, im sick of it, but when i try, try really really hard, i ALWAYS fail, always.

You can still have chocolate, just work it into your day!

Eat at a reasonable deficit and still enjoy the foods you love. It's a lot easier than people make it out to be.

Start here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Find an activity that you enjoy. You don't have to do exercises that you hate or eat food that you hate.

Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You have to change your thinking. It has to be what you are CHOOSING. You have to choose to want to lose weight, you have to choose which foods you will eat which fit into your allotted calories. You can choose to not restrict certain foods or food groups so you will be less likely to feel deprived. You can choose to exercise and burn more calories or not.

When you start owning your choices you will get out of that mindset of failing. When you own your choices, you take responsibility. Then there isn't "fail", you can ditch all excuses.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Stop trying and trying. Just do it. Whether you think you can, or you think you can't you are right. If you're already claiming you can't, then you won't.

Will it be easy? NO WAY but it is absolutely doable. You can still have chocolate and any other food you love. Will you have to control your eating, absolutely. At some point you have to decide how badly do you want to lose the weight? If you really really want to, then start counting calories and working the program. Sure it sucks and it's hard for some of us but you know what sucks more, having those extra unwanted pounds. They're both hard, choose your hard.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    whether-you-think-you-can.jpg

These words have changed my life.
  • gmax69
    gmax69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't focus so much on it, you're building it up to be much larger than it really is.

Create a habit of getting more physically active regardless of what it is. The more hours on your feet the more calories you burn. Exercise doesn't have to be an intense workout in the gym and then 4 hours on the couch in front of the tv because you're too exhausted to do anything else.

Work on the food later but a lifestyle change can be done in small increments over time.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    These words have changed my life.

Agreed!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    why cant i stick to it?

Is that really the question you want to ask?

Because if you really "can't", then there's no point in trying. Accept who you are and move on.

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet. Chocolate is fine. I just ate a piece of chocolate cake. I've also lost 22 pounds in 22 weeks. According to all the numbers, I "should" be able to lose 2# per week, but it made me crank and I felt like I was depriving myself. Since I decided to just lost 1# a week, I've been much happier.

Today was my weigh in and I only lost .4lb last week. Oh well! It's a journey, and I had a fun weekend with friends and there were drinks and pancake brunches and that's just part of life.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I agree with @deksgrl‌ - as long as you feel like your mom is wagging a finger at you telling you what you can and can't do and have, you're going to feel like rebelling. You have to connect with the fact that YOU are choosing this instead of feeling like it's being chosen for you. Own the change.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Have you got your whine out of your system yet?

If yes, then knuckle down and get on with it

If no, then don't

Nobody can do it for you, it's down to you and only you

Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Because the word "diet" sucks! Do go on any diet, don't tell yourself or anyone else you're dieting, because you shouldn't be!

Eat to nourish your body - this simply means eating the proper amount of calories. Most of us eat far more than we should, which is why we've gained weight. Even healthy foods in excess will cause weight gain, just as junky foods in moderation/calorie deficit will result in weight loss.

So figure out the right calorie goal - nothing too extreme, no foods off limits - and log everything you eat. If you go over, don't beat yourself up, it happens, and it's part of the learning experience. We have to learn how to choose things that fit into our goals - portion sizes, and yes, sometimes types of foods, to stay within goal. That's why MFP is a wonderful tool - you can log all your food, and at the end of the week, look back over your diary and see where you did well, and where you could use some work. Was whatever you ate the day you were 250 calories over worth it? Did you stay in goal the rest of the week? Great - you know you can be over cals once in awhile and it won't wreck anything. Did you fall well short of goal, or come in really low on protein? Then start seeking out more calorie dense foods to get you closer to goal, and foods higher in protein. Are you feeling sluggish, tired, lazy, or well fueled and energized? Figure out where the gaps are and adjust accordingly.

It's not that hard - we just tend to make it hard because we want a quick fix and go in for these all or nothing diet and workout gimmicks, and are fed more of this BS through tv and magazine ads with the latest fad diet or workout.

Do what works for you, sustainable changes that fit into your lifestyle. You don't need extreme diets or restrictive cals, there are no taboo foods. Eat at a calorie deficit, lose weight. You don't need to go gonzo at the gym, working out for 2 hours a day followed by a 6 mile run. You are not training for the Olympics. Find a workout that you like that fits into your schedule - get up a half hour earlier and put in 30 minutes of quality exercise (with weights or body weight training, HIIT cardio, etc), and take a brisk walk on your lunch break. Yes, that's effective exercise! As you progress, use heavier weights, or work more exercise into your day if you want to or if you have time.

But first you have to stop saying "I can't". Because as long as you think you can't, you're right.

Good luck!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This lifestyle is still a bit of a chore sometimes. I mean, I wanted to go back to my old days and eat a huge bag of crisps all to myself tonight, which I'm going to do, but it means I have had to eat less food today as the whole bag is 799.50 kcal which MFP rounded off to 800kcal. So, just for that amount of food, I've had to work it into my day and end up having to go without something else I could of wanted, because I really wanted this huge bag of crisps. But, I still get to have them and lose weight, and of course eat the rest of my calories, just not get to eat so many different things today. If you want a lot of chocolate, you can do the same. Eat what you want, make sure you are eating enough and enough to lose weight healthily. We have to make sacrifices sometimes, but we can always make it fit.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on all these calories you could eat at this time, occupy yourself with something else. I used to be similar and eat a whole heap of calories before night, when I like to snack on most of my calories in bed. Eat low calorie but filling things such as banana's for breakfast, you could have a banana smoothie. It's all about eating enough in the day, but training yourself to say NO, I cannot eat all my calories in one go, and saving them for later.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    'Cause you're not ready yet.

Only you can do this for yourself. If you're busier making excuses or claiming that you can't, then you won't. It's as simple as that.

Been there. Done that. Got the (XL) t-shirt.

When you're ready to change, you will.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Then eat some chocolate while losing weight. Not the end of the world.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Stop trying and trying. Just do it. Whether you think you can, or you think you can't you are right. If you're already claiming you can't, then you won't.

Will it be easy? NO WAY but it is absolutely doable. You can still have chocolate and any other food you love. Will you have to control your eating, absolutely. At some point you have to decide how badly do you want to lose the weight? If you really really want to, then start counting calories and working the program. Sure it sucks and it's hard for some of us but you know what sucks more, having those extra unwanted pounds. They're both hard, choose your hard.

I was going to say these same things, but someone beat me to it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    why cant i stick to it?

Don't start out so restrictive and intense. Is your goal realistic and reasonable?
    I don't know how much you have to lose but maybe accept a slower rate of weight loss for a more comfortable amount of calories. Don't try for more than 2 pounds a week. You might find 1 pound or even .5 a week more attainable and healthy for you.
    Eat foods you like. You don't have to drastically change your diet or spend 5 hours in the gym a day- just eat a bit less and exercise a moderate amount.
    Don't label foods as healthy or unhealthy. You can eat whatever you want as long as you don't eat more calories than you burn. You will be able to eat much more of lower calorie foods than higher calorie foods. You will probably feel better if you eat foods with lots of nutrients vs a large amount of empty calorie type foods.
    Plan your food for the whole day so you don't go over your calories mid day. Pre-log what you eat and drink so you see what your choices are like.
    Eat foods with more protein, fat and fiber to help you feel satisfied.
    Drink water and wait 20 minutes to an hour to see if the hungry feeling goes away. Sometimes you are not really hungry but thirsty or bored.
    Every day is a new day. Don't be so dramatic. If you go over your calories one day or one week it isn't a failure or the end of everything. You will not gain 50 pounds in one day even if you eat nothing but chocolate that day. Log it, learn from it and move on.