Mexican restaurant tonight...what to order??

Options
2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I love fajita/taco salads. Personally, I avoid sour cream (never been a fan) and use salsa instead of dressing. So good! Although (again, personal opinion) if there's no guacamole or avocado on the salad, it's no longer worth it. Then it's just a sad salad...
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    We've got a local mexican place that does a stuffed avocado, it's literally a whole fresh avocado with the skins stuffed with shrimp and veggies/pico and the "meat" of the avocado sliced and on the plate.
    Or there's always taco salad minus the chips/taco bowl with the cheese, sauces, etc. on the side.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Order what you want and eat less of it. Fajitas sound delicious and are normally what I would order even not counting calories - they can be greasy though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Wow, why all the advice to skip the beans?
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

I'm thinking same. I know they're refried but good source of fiber. I prefer to go light on rice meaning I eat some but not all. And I prefer corn tortillas for extra nutrients.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

People hate fiber?

No idea, I rarely eat the ones I get but again, I'm weird...
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

People hate fiber?

Naa you're not weird. :) I'm not a fan of avocado. I've tried to eat them so many times but can't seem to acquire a taste for them.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I'm guessing because they are often high calorie... typically 200 calories for a side of beans pretty much anywhere.

I like them though and for me they are one of the most filling foods there is (especially refried beans).
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I go for Chicken on the Beach if it's available; bed of rice with grilled chicken, and cheese sauce over it all. I always stay away from the chips because they're too easy to go overboard on.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    jakj00 wrote: »
    GI'm going out to eat tonight and dont want to blow my calories for the day...ideas??

I'm from california and usually thats 90% of the options to eat in my town. I get a la carte chile verde and eat the salsa and go very very easy on the chips. and dont eat the tortilla your chile verde comes in.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    how'd we do last night OP?

hopefully you had a great time and enjoyed some lovely comida!
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Fajitas and just a couple tortillas, but eat all the meat and veggies. Stay away from the queso & chips, and a whole plate of rice.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Fajitas! Yum. Chicken or steak. I would not skip the tortillas. I never eat the beans or rice but that's just because I don't care for them. Black beans are good, maybe next time I will put a forkful on each of my little fajita tacos
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Shrimp or chicken fajitas are always a safe bet or fish tacos if the fish is grilled not fried. Restaurant beans tend to have more fat added but in moderation, black beans are filling and high in protein.
  • lovelylightz
    lovelylightz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

People hate fiber?

Naa you're not weird. :) I'm not a fan of avocado. I've tried to eat them so many times but can't seem to acquire a taste for them.

Exactly...avocado is soooo ehhhhhh I'll pass :neutral_face:
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I usually opt for the grilled steak or chicken tacos with pico, corn tortillas and whole beans. (Most mexican restaurants have them, you just have to ask!) I find fajitas tend to be very oily at most places. I've never been a fan of refried beans or the rice they serve in most restaurants. I'd rather eat chips & salsa...but only if they're made in house.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I always get carnitas. Screw the calories for one meal!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Fajitas or a taco salad without all the sour cream, guac, and cheese. Good rule of thumb when eating out is splitting an entree with your SO or friend to reduce not only the calories, but the bill. Portions in restaurants these days are huge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png