Goodbye wine...I'll miss you

Options

Replies

• awatkin531
    awatkin531 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I love my wine and like others find it hard to stop at one glass - once the bottles open.....
    I plan to work a bottle into my calories once a week on a weekend so that I don't feel deprived. Hopefully this will work - fingers crossed!
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Who the H is saying goodbye to wine here? Blasphemy.

This deserves to be said again and again.

THIS!!!!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    GingerSka wrote: »
    What's funny was once I cut out weeknight beer I was left with a (mostly) healthy diet. I've altered my portions but it's obvious my weight gain was primarily a result of beer. It's laughable, really. I might as well been eating seven donuts every night.

Huh. Minimum 24-36oz beer daily - wonder how that happened..............

t23raojmna23.png

Some people would rather skip the booze temporarily and lose the weight faster. Some don't have the TDEE for 2-3 drinks a night (most non-obese women) during weight loss or the interest in just one.

Your way is fine. Others' ways are fine. To each his own.

That would be exactly my point - I have my defecit set to 1/2 lb per week. My 25lb weight loss is ove the course of 14 months. This is not a race to the finish. I fail to see the difference between giving up gluten products, ]sugar products, "white" products or beer and wine.

It's all demonizing of food groups.

And Sabine - my daily calorie allowance is 2150. I lift twice a week, run 3 mile once or twice, do yoga and take the dog for long walks on the weekend.

But as you say - to each their own.

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What's funny was once I cut out weeknight beer I was left with a (mostly) healthy diet. I've altered my portions but it's obvious my weight gain was primarily a result of beer. It's laughable, really. I might as well been eating seven donuts every night.

t23raojmna23.png

Some people would rather skip the booze temporarily and lose the weight faster. Some don't have the TDEE for 2-3 drinks a night (most non-obese women) during weight loss or the interest in just one.

That would be exactly my point - I have my defecit set to 1/2 lb per week. My 25lb weight loss is ove the course of 14 months. This is not a race to the finish. I fail to see the difference between giving up gluten products, ]sugar products, "white" products or beer and wine.

And Sabine - my daily calorie allowance is 2150. I lift twice a week, run 3 mile once or twice, do yoga and take the dog for long walks on the weekend.

I wouldn't exactly call alcohol a food group.

Foods containing gluten, sugar, fat, carbs, etc. almost always have other nutrition in them as well. Alcohol is just calories, with maybe some antioxidants thrown in. The OP didn't say she was giving them up forever, just for a while to help with her deficit. If your calorie goal fo the day is only 1400 calories, and you are having a couple drinks a night, that makes it really hard to get enough food in to hit your macros. As a 5'0" woman who loves wine, I used to cut other places to "save room" for wine at night, and I was lucky to hit 40g of protein! The 65g that MFP wanted seemed unreachable, and even that was pretty low.

I haven't given up wine, but I have really cut back. Now, I prelog all my food. If I hit my protein goal for the day and still have enough calories left for wine, I measure out a glass or two. But now that I have nutrition goals, not calorie goals, I am ok with cutting back.

eta: The OP probably knows herself better than any of us, and already has decided that having a glass here and there isn't what she wants to do.
  • sjaplo
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

t23raojmna23.png

I wouldn't exactly call alcohol a food group.

Foods containing gluten, sugar, fat, carbs, etc. almost always have other nutrition in them as well. Alcohol is just calories, with maybe some antioxidants thrown in. The OP didn't say she was giving them up forever, just for a while to help with her deficit. If your calorie goal fo the day is only 1400 calories, and you are having a couple drinks a night, that makes it really hard to get enough food in to hit your macros. As a 5'0" woman who loves wine, I used to cut other places to "save room" for wine at night, and I was lucky to hit 40g of protein! The 65g that MFP wanted seemed unreachable, and even that was pretty low.

I haven't given up wine, but I have really cut back. Now, I prelog all my food. If I hit my protein goal for the day and still have enough calories left for wine, I measure out a glass or two. But now that I have nutrition goals, not calorie goals, I am ok with cutting back.

eta: The OP probably knows herself better than any of us, and already has decided that having a glass here and there isn't what she wants to do.

You are misinformed about alcohol and nutrition. For example beer contains;

Carbs, potassium, calcium, phosphorous, dietary silicon and fiber among others.

I hit 120 - 140g of protein a day.

If your goal for the day is 1400.............. a glass of wine is 150 cal leaving you 1250. at 1400 calories, 65g is only 260 cal for protein for the day. 4oz chicken breast 31g protein - 2 eggs 12g protein, 4oz Salmon grilled - 27g protein = 70g protein - current tally 556 cal - do we need to go on?

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Alcohol =/= beer. Beer contains alcohol as well as other things.
    I never said there are no nutrients in beer, I said there are no real usable nutrients in alcohol besides calories. The OP isn't even talking about beer, but that is beside the point.

I never said alcohol has no place in a balance diet, just that it isn't a food group. It is calorie dense. Weight loss includes prioritizing, both goals and food. You decided you wanted to keep beer in your diet, so you made it a priority and you still lost weight. I decided I didn't want to have to eat 45% of my food calories as protein in order to reach a reasonable goal (not to mention have the amount of fat and carbs in my diet that I prefer). The OP decided she would rather cut out wine and lose weight faster. Neither is wrong, just different priorities.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

t23raojmna23.png

I don't see how you feel "to each their own" and this: "Silly - prelog your wine and work your calories around it." Or what your choice of diet pace has to do with anyone else's choice.

Choosing not have a food daily is hardly demonizing it.
  • sjaplo
    Options

t23raojmna23.png

I don't see how you feel "to each their own" and this: "Silly - prelog your wine and work your calories around it." Or what your choice of diet pace has to do with anyone else's choice.

Choosing not have a food daily is hardly demonizing it.

I think you and Mirrim are missing the point. This is an internet forum - a place for discussion. And you have no idea how I "feel". What I am expressing is my opinion. In order to express my opinion I add information in order to validate my position.

Do what you want, I really don't give a rats *kitten*. My point was simply that it's not necessary to give up alcohol to lose weight. If you or the OP choose to do so - knock yourselves out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

t23raojmna23.png

No one (certainly not the OP, she adores wine) is demonizing wine or other foods on this thread. They're just choosing HOW they create a deficit. Don't be dramatic.

ETA but again: never mind. Not worth the effort.
  • sjaplo
    Options

t23raojmna23.png

No one (certainly not the OP, she adores wine) is demonizing wine or other foods on this thread. They're just choosing HOW they create a deficit. Don't be dramatic.

yup agreed.

• TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked wine as much as craft beer... Most wines are much lower calorie than the beers I drink
  • LoriLmcia
    LoriLmcia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like one glass of wine a night. Since I started the diet just a few days ago, I haven't had any wine, but will soon add it back in to my diet and see what the result is. I think we should start our own "whine-ing about no wine" group. Add me as your friend, we will "whine" together!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

t23raojmna23.png

yup agreed.

Glad we agree.
  • sapphire641
    sapphire641 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both enjoy our weekend happy hours...the hard part is keeping it to the weekends!! We are both serious about enjoying it only Friday and Saturday and to keep it off the table during the week....its so hard :s lol!!! We really enjoy it as well. I agree with the fact it brings on the munchies as well. I have a long way to go but life is short....right.....helloooo :cold_sweat:
  • elizabeth413watt
    elizabeth413watt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love all types of alcohol. Wine used to be my go to especially when getting together with my friends. Now I drink Smirnoff sorbet vodka, usually the raspberry flavor. It's only 78 calories a for 1.5 oz which is plenty of liqour in one drink for me with taking in such few calories. I mix it with water and zero calorie crystal light lemonade packets. This helps keep the calorie count down and keeps me hydrated which prevents hangovers. I'll have a couple of glasses of this without much guilt especially if I get a good workout in the morning.
  • justjennnnn
    justjennnnn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's the awesome thing about MFP! You can eat or drink whatever you want as long as it's accounted for! I drink wine on the reg and have lost almost 30 lbs. 4 pounds away from my goal. Drink up!
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Give up wine? Just cut down the serving. I'd rather drink less but drink every day. Besides red wine is good for you.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love wine, but I've limited myself to not keeping it in the house and only drinking on weekends. So I have to go out and pay for it if I want it! haha it makes it easier to avoid.
  • autumnreached
    Options
    I hear ya. I sadly had a bottle yesterday, while staying in my goal of 1350cal. NOT HEALTHY. Need to get on this boat.
  • jojokmack
    Options
    It is a habit just like everything else.
    I didn't have a drink for over 6 years. I allow myself wine now but I find that I don't want it any more, and I was a serious every night drinker.
    It is like everything else, you can be slim whilst drinking (I have met MANY skinny alcoholics! lol).
    It just depends how much you want to drink calories. x :|