Is it actually possible to lose weight without exercise?

Options
Can you lose weight by just dieting? If so, would it stay off once your diet is over? How many calories would you need to lose weight? How long would it take to come off?

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm not always able to exercise much. I'm keeping my calories at a deficit and I've lost 27 pounds since the end of December.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    Can you lose weight by just dieting? If so, would it stay off once your diet is over? How many calories would you need to lose weight? How long would it take to come off?

You can absolutely lose weight without exercise. You just have to figure out your maintenance calories and eat less than that. Exercise has a lot of health benefits, though, and regular exercise will raise your maintenance calories allowing you to eat more to lose.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm not always able to exercise much. I'm keeping my calories at a deficit and I've lost 27 pounds since the end of December.

That's awesome, great job!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yes...when you put in all of your information into this calculator, it will calculate all of this for you. When you put in your activity level, do NOT include exercise and you will get a calorie goal to lose weight based on no exercise. When you set exercise goals in MFP, they have no bearing on your calories.

All that said, exercise is very good for you and has many health benefits...and it's a lot easier to maintain a healthy weight when you're active and exercise regularly. For me, it's the difference between being able to eat 2300 calories per day (without exercise) and around 2800 calories per day (with exercise). Considering I like beer and food, I exercise regularly.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Thanks ajc :)
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    ... would it stay off once your diet is over?

If you're "on a diet," you will fail. It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle change.

And if you're doing it properly, it's never over.

• SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Of course, you just need to create a calorie deficit so you are using more energy than you are taking in. Of course, if you exercise you can then eat more while still maintaining this deficit.

Weight only 'doesn't stay off' when people start eating more than their daily calorie needs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

I lost my first thirty pounds from dieting alone, living a very sedentary lifestyle. That being said, I much prefer my exercise goals, now that I am light enough and strong enough to enjoy it.

If I were to try to continue to lose at my current weight and activity level I would have to reduce my intake by about 300 calories a day. I like food too much for that.

I am a conservative dieter and throughout I've averaged half a pound loss a month. I expect if I were to stop all the changes I've made I'd gain about the same rate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24lbs in 4mths with zero exercise. 8 more to go!
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise at all and I've lost around 60lbs, so yes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    yar
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Totally.Lost over 40 lbs without exercise.I think exercise is overrated from the weight loss point of view tbh.Someone my size would burn like 300 calories running 30 minutes.And if I do it,my hunger levels elevate and I end up wanting to eat a lot more, so 'exercise so that you get to eat more' is not true in my case.
    But understand that I'm speaking only from weight loss pov,which is what you asked.Yes its possible but Ofcourse exercising is very good for your health.
  • willrunforfood35
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without exercise. In addition to weight loss, I'd like to change the shape of my body which will require exercise.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercising, but it is HARD. 80% of weight-loss is from diet alone anyway, but exercise helps boost your metabolism and gives you some extra calories to work with. For me to lose a pound a week without exercise I have to be super strict and stay at 1500 calories. If I eat more than that I don't lose. Every body is different, but it is possible to lose weight without working out.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Some where I read a post and the basic concept was that the Body was Built in the Kitchen and Tuned up in the Gym. The Kitchen 80%, Mental State 10%, Exercise 10%.

Exercise helps tone the body and gives you what I call Bonus - Treat Calories.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercising. Use the MyFitnessPal calculator to determine the calories you should consume.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I lost every bit of my weight without organized exercise. (Though I am an active person)
    58369279.png
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight through eating/food alone. It's actually more important for weight-loss than exercise.

Exercise however has other benefits,
    - lifting weights increases muscle strength and bone strength.
    - cardio increases heart and lung health
    - it generally makes you feel good (endorphin) and feel good about yourself
    - makes you want to make good food choices
    - gives your body a firmer less giggly look.
    - Aaaand most importantly means you can eat a little but more and still lose weight.

You will gain weight back if you start eating what you used to eat again.

Analogy time:

Think of your body like a car.
    Food = fuel.
    If you put more fuel in your car and the tank is full, imagine bags of fuel building up around the sides of the car (fat cells storing fat = food energy)
    The more you drive your car, the more fuel you use, but if you continue to put more fuel than your tank needs, it will store the fuel in those bags.
    So what you need to do is fuel up (eat) a little bit less than your tank needs and move a little more than usual. Slowly, the car will start to use those fuel reserves (fat stored) = weight loss.

And there you go.
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, but if you diet and don't exercise you will lose more lean body mass (muscle tissue) than fat, than if you exercise. Losing more lean body mass means your metabolism will decline and it will be harder for you to continue to lose or maintain your loss because muscle burns more calories than fat. Resistance training helps to keep muscle on and boost your metabolism so it's a better plan for both weight loss and maintanence, with the added bonus that it makes you look toned and has many health benefits.
  • rgplayer
    rgplayer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep, but like what was already said you lose lean mass. If you have a lot of weight to lose like I did, the results of just diet weight loss may not have the results your looking for.