Bananas? Good ? Bad?

Options
Not to sound dumb.. I feel like the whole banana thing is confusing. I heard eating them while trying to lose weight is both good and bad. I'm not a large fan of the fruit but I am curious. I do like them in my oatmeal occasionally. I don't find them very filling. In fact I feel hungrier after I eat them. If anyone has a clue if I should add them to my diet daily or weekly please share. Thanks!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you don't find them filling and you feel hungrier after you eat them, why would you eat them? If you weigh a banana on a food scale, some weigh enough to equal 120 calories. I wouldn't want to eat 120 calories of something if it's not going to help fill me up.
  • dianefisher1947
    dianefisher1947 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure but think about it this way, if you had to choose between eating chocolates or chips....100% sure your better with the banana :p
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's nothing bad about a banana unless it's turned all mushy/brown/black.

• arditarose
    Options
    I can't say for sure but think about it this way, if you had to choose between eating chocolates or chips....100% sure your better with the banana :p

Why? If you've already hit your macros for the day, a banana can be more calories than a square or two of chocolate, which would put you over your deficit.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

In what context?

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    No food is "good" or "bad" for weight loss. It's just food. If it fits in your calorie goal, eat it if you want. If you eat too many bananas, you'll gain weight from eating too many calories, but the fact that they're banana-calories is completely irrelevant.

If you don't like bananas, don't eat them. Personally I love them. I've actually had to cut back on how many I eat since starting to lose weight, because they're fairly calorie dense and I used to eat a lot of them.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I feel like I have to get this off my chest...I'm anti-banana.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Mushy bananas are the best! I like to have a mushy banana meal (6-8 bananas, 2 cup of soy milk and a TBS peanut butter in a smoothie) once a week as it cleans my insides and make same feel real fresh and energized. When I am energized I am more likely to stick to my plans, workout energetically and be happy and not eat emotionally. So... While weight loss is based on calories, it is good to experiment and find what works for you. I have merely found through experimentation that this works for me.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You're arditarose, silly.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I eat one banana almost every day, why not, I like bananas. I particularly like some peanut butter on them.
  • amyhamilton15
    amyhamilton15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Banana bread time!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I love bananas but I almost don't like them when they get all the way yellow. I kinda prefer them just slightly still green and a bit, well, crunchy?
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love bananas! Eat them if you like them and they fit into your day. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Not to sound dumb.. I feel like the whole banana thing is confusing. I heard eating them while trying to lose weight is both good and bad. I'm not a large fan of the fruit but I am curious. I do like them in my oatmeal occasionally. I don't find them very filling. In fact I feel hungrier after I eat them. If anyone has a clue if I should add them to my diet daily or weekly please share. Thanks!

Here's the the thing: There is no go or bad.
    It is only about how food fits into your day/ your plan.

Maybe think of it like money. Is it worth it to you to spend the 121 calories on a banana or would your rather spend the 124 calories on one and a half cups of frozen blueberries?
    Or maybe 143 calories for one and a half tablespoons of peanut butter?
    It is up to you.
    I had one banana last night and it was o.k. because I had not had one lately but I probably will not have another again for a while because they are not usually one of my "go to foods" and I have some nice strawberries in the fridge for tonight's fruit.
    So if the banana works for you in your oatmeal, by all means, eat it.
    If it is not worth the calories to you, eat something else instead.

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'd pick the chocolate
  • arditarose
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    You're arditarose, silly.

:p you funny
  • crys_todd
    crys_todd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. There is a very small window of opportunity for me with bananas. They have to be just turned yellow with traces of green still on the peel. Absolutely no brown spots.
    Thankfully that limits me to one a week since there is generally only one day in which they are perfect.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Good
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I love bananas but I almost don't like them when they get all the way yellow. I kinda prefer them just slightly still green and a bit, well, crunchy?

Greenish bananas are the best!

When I was in college during finals week, stuco hung up a bunch of healthy-lifestyle type posters. One said "eat balanced diet." But everytime I walked past it, I thought I said "eat banana diet."

I looked it up. There actually is a banana diet. Like most crazy things, it's really big in Japan.