Peanut butter??

Options
it seems like a lot of fit people are obsessed with peanut butter. I love pb too, but can somebody tell me why? I know it has protein but seems high in calories? Just wondering :)

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's easy protein, with fat, so in a snack it can help you stay full. It is calorie dense, so you do have to watch portions and weigh very very carefully. But way easier than trying to prep a lot of other protein sources just for a snack.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    -It tastes good.
    -It's a good mix of healthy fats and protein along with a relatively low amount of carbs and some fiber.
    -It's easy and requires no cooking and can be eaten with many different things
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Ah I can't resist a peanut butter thread. Just like I can't resist peanut butter. I don't keep it around as there are many unlogged servings by the time I get to the bottom of the jar.
  • trump1674
    trump1674 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good protein source with good fat content of poly and mono fats which aide your heart and muscles. Moderation is key however.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It is a source of a protein, but it really doesn't have that much. To get an adequate amount of protein from peanut butter, you'd need like 3 or 4 servings! And for the calories...typically 180 per serving, not worth it! IMO.
    I think it gets promoted as a "healthy food" just because it's not a bad way to get fat, as opposed to getting fat from greasy fries or something. All foods are fine in moderation :)
    Peanut butter is scrumptious. I think fit people are obsessed with it, because it is tasty. :) People who jump on the wagon and rave about its health benefits have probably been duped by several "legitimate" sources that claim its healthy. Not a bad food to eat to get some fats, but it isn't exactly a miracle worker ;)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter + Chocolate = <3

Make sure you weigh your peanut butter!! ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Peanut butter + Chocolate = <3

Make sure you weigh your peanut butter!! ;)

Yep yep. Gotta weigh the peanut butter
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You know my favorite way to eat peanut butter? With a spoon, by the jar, all the time, because it's freaking delicious. I don't trust people who don't love peanut butter.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    High in calories because of the fat content not protein. Just like avocados, peanut butter is good for you but can be bad for you if you over eat it.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    love peanut butter more than anything in the world.. unfortunately that has caused me to completely get rid of it when I try to get lean because its sad to see how little you get for one serving size. makes me realize that i consume like 3-4 servings at one time.

I cant eat it in moderation it haz to go.. did same with ice cream =/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Because--YUM? I love the taste and texture. It is good scooped with pretzels, with marshmallows, and with chocolate chips. Mmm...good for dipping apples and bananas, too. A spoonful in hot cereal, a pbj, in a milkshake. PB for the win!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have zero control when it comes to peanut butter!! Give me a big jar of sweet n sour gherkins to dip into the PB and its lights out for me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • dsroybal24
    Options
    I love PB but I do add the calories in for it. It dies help in the protein but also in keeping my sort of full.
  • dsroybal24
    Options
    Meant to say does not dies and me instead of my. Sorry all. My phone is small in letters so it was hard to push the correct ones.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    It is cheap and tasty! My work lunch is usually a peanut butter and honey sandwich and some pretzels.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    it seems like a lot of fit people are obsessed with peanut butter. I love pb too, but can somebody tell me why? I know it has protein but seems high in calories? Just wondering :)

A lot of fit people actually eat a lot of calories...if you train hard, you need a lot of calories and peanut butter can help in that regard without adding a lot of volume to eat.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has plenty healthy fats and as you rightly say is dense in calories. For a 1200 calorie daily intake I can imagine it would take a fair chunk up but for the likes of myself, whilst training sometimes I have to consume in excess of 4000+ calories to maintain and tone muscle(I did a 14 mile run this morning, you can imagine the eat-back I had to make.. right?).
    Peanut butter definitely helps me to reach my macro goals, as with anything.. moderation is key!

I tend to have several different brands of it in my cupboard, along with my own home-made mix! It helps keeps me satiated for longer.

A little research into fats will show that the human body needs them to perform everyday tasks, certain fats have far more health benefits than others and peanut butter contains all the right ones!

All the best,
    Adam
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think a lot of the "fit" community digs peanut butter because it Is considered a "clean treat" at least from what I've seen, a lot of bodybuilder/clean eaters love the peanut butter.

I know when I was only eating what I deemed to be super healthy, I had a serious love affair with peanut butter. When you're at a deficit, and think it's a sin to eat anything that tastes good, believe me peanut butter becomes the most delicious thing you've ever tasted. Sweet, salty, thick and filling. I blame skippy 100% for introducing me to the joys of binging..:.(sarcasm)
  • saralynrice
    Options
    Now it all makes sense!! I really wanna try the cookie butter I've been seeing everywhere!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ah I can't resist a peanut butter thread. Just like I can't resist peanut butter. I don't keep it around as there are many unlogged servings by the time I get to the bottom of the jar.

I've actually worked 2 teaspoons of peanut butter into my daily meal plan. I dont care about the health benefits, it's just awesome lol