HELP! Surgery on my arm soon! Any ways to help me as far as recovery and staying in shape!?

Options
aelbadri
aelbadri Posts: 96 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I got into a car accident last year, and received some nerve issues along with it! I have cubital tunnel syndrome (ulnar nerve entrapment)
I have a huge concern! I will be having surgery soon, and I am concerned on how to keep myself up at the gym and keep my weight under control as far as recovery! I know I must eat right, but I want to exercise as well! I may be having an ulnar nerve decompression surgery or whatever it is! I have no idea how to go about recovery and staying in shape! If anyone has any ideas to help me please let me know! Thanks!

Replies

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Walk! Go easy. Also, extra protein. Your body will need the protein during the initial healing stage.

Plenty of rest! Do not try to do too much too early.
  • aelbadri
    Options
    Thank you!! I will make sure I do!
  • megannxx
    megannxx Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the surgery! And remember to listen to the doctors and dont start anything without getting the go ahead so you dont put yourself back in healing.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I've been there. It is not fun while you are in recovery but you can still do some leg work, cardio etc. not sure what your goal was prior to the injury. you seem to have reached your weight loss goal. You will just need to focus on maintaining and working on areas that are not affected by the surgery. Extra Protein not a bad idea. I had a hernia surgery which completely shut me down for a while. I had a rotator tear after which I was mildly able to work through but not lift heavy so I went for a cut-fat loss/muscle retention. Focus on diet while you are in recovery.
    Hope you recover soon. Add me as friend if you like.
  • aelbadri
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I will not try to push myself! I do still want to run I'm just unsure if I will be able too in the beginning! I definitely will add you! Thank you so much on your advise! I'm glad to hear that you made it through recovery!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    6 shoulder and 2 hand operations here. The selectorized leg machines are your friends in this case. Check with the doctor/PT first. Good luck.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress out about it until you have more information from your surgeon. In 2012-13 I was sidelined for 9 months with illness and brain surgery. I maintained my weight through the 9 months with no exercise, just eating at my maintenance calorie goal with decent protein. Hang in there!
  • aelbadri
    Options
    Wow thanks guys! That really helped! I'm just super worried about it! I go in the first week of March to talk to him about it and discuss my options! Thanks gmfor everything!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    aelbadri wrote: »
    Wow thanks guys! That really helped! I'm just super worried about it! I go in the first week of March to talk to him about it and discuss my options! Thanks gmfor everything!

When you go to the doctor ask him or the PT if there is anything you can be doing before the surgery to help recovery go faster.
  • aelbadri
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    aelbadri wrote: »

When you go to the doctor ask him or the PT if there is anything you can be doing before the surgery to help recovery go faster.

That's actually a great idea! I didn't even think of that! Thank you!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »
    Walk! Go easy. Also, extra protein. Your body will need the protein during the initial healing stage.

Plenty of rest! Do not try to do too much too early.

BZhuaGj.gif

MB_Positif wrote: »
    I wouldn't stress out about it until you have more information from your surgeon. In 2012-13 I was sidelined for 9 months with illness and brain surgery. I maintained my weight through the 9 months with no exercise, just eating at my maintenance calorie goal with decent protein. Hang in there!

You & I have a something in common. God love ya. That *kitten*'s not easy.

I gained weight though, but that was cancer meds. At least now I have a budonkadonk lol