Need help please

Options
So i've been exercising for about just over 2 months now. I only lost 3 pounds all together. I'm noticing more muscle build up all over my body. Can this be a reason i've not lost weight and i'm just building up muscle? I've also using 1 full scoop of Designer Whey Protein after my workouts. I'm not sure if i should be using 1 full scoop or not.

I'm currently using 2 apps to help me out with my exercising. I'm using Fitstar. I'm doing get lean which is basically a lot of cardio. I'm using Six Pack Abs from Runtastic. Every so often i'll go for a walk or a run.

Far as food wise i'm eating a lot of vegetable and fruit as much as i can but mainly am doing a lot of the Weight Watchers tv dinners and other weight watch food products. I do cook chicken a lot and cook other foods.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The problem is, the FIRST thing you should be mentioning is food. Weight loss comes from eating at a calorie deficit. If you're not eating in a deficit, you're maintaining weight or gaining weight. If you're in a deficit, you're not gaining muscle mass. Though, at a surplus combined with heavy lifting-you can gain muscle mass, but you will also gain fat and the scale will go up.

You can't just "watch what you eat food wise", you need to weigh everything, log everything, and stay in a calorie deficit.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    The problem is, the FIRST thing you should be mentioning is food. Weight loss comes from eating at a calorie deficit. If you're not eating in a deficit, you're maintaining weight or gaining weight. If you're in a deficit, you're not gaining muscle mass. Though, at a surplus combined with heavy lifting-you can gain muscle mass, but you will also gain fat and the scale will go up.

You can't just "watch what you eat food wise", you need to weigh everything, log everything, and stay in a calorie deficit.

^^ QFT - quoted for truth. I lost the first 40 lbs. by "watching what I ate" and it took me two years. When I started measuring and logging food, I lost the final 60 pounds in under 7 months. I suggest you read this post if you have not done so already.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a gym and met with a trainer to design a workout that would be effective, but work around an old knee injury and recent foot surgery. She has me split between muscle building with weights and cardio on the treadmill & elliptical to build muscle, which will in turn achieve fat loss better than just fat loss through cardio alone.

She specifically told me that I will not see big numbers on the scale (3 weeks in and I've lost 3lbs), but I will see inches lost and clothing fitting better and she is right. I've lost 5" on top of those 3lbs. My pants fit looser in the waist & thigh areas and my tummy is a bit flatter. Also my workout shirts used to be slightly tight around the hips/waist and are now noticeably loose.

Are you taking your measurements? I forgot to log that as well with weight the first two weeks and was nicely surprised to see those 5 inches lost on the third week!
  • jschug
    jschug Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Laddiegirl‌. Yes, that's what i'm talking about. I've not taken measurements. I've notice i'm able to fit into clothing i wasn't able to get in. I believe i'm burning more fat but i'm just not seeing the scale number move. I just didn't know if that was normal or not? I guess it's normal.

Far as weighing my food i do that. I watch what i eat.