MFP w/Fitbit Flex...entering calories burned on an eliptical? Also- "net" calories?

Options
Hi all!

I'm a brand newbie so please forgive if this has already been asked. I have a Fitbit Flex- so when I do my elliptical (cardio)...the machine today told me I burned like 600 calories (I believe it, because my heart rate was high and I was just DONE after that...lol)...However, when I go to MFP to log the exercise- the value MFP gave me was several hundred calories lower than what the machine said. Should I override what MFP says the burn is to what the machine says it is? (In my mind the machine is probably more accurate cause of the heart rate....and I'm also putting in age and weight.) If I override to what the machine says, do I then have to subtract what I would normally be burning without the additional exercise?

Second part- it was suggested I go down to 1275 for maximum weight loss (I have about 80 pounds to loose). However.... when I started hardcore exercising, I noticed that after everything, I'm not even netting 900 calories a day. Am I correct in thinking that the net calories (after all the fit bit and additional exercise) should be at that magic 1200 number for the whole two pounds a week weight loss?

Thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This thread may answer some of your questions regarding eating back calories burned during exercise.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

As far as the difference between MFP and the machine, it can be many variables causing the difference. I can't say for sure. There are more than one setting you can choose for elliptical training. They range for light to very very vigorous. You may have chosen one that is not as high intensity as you actually worked.