Skinny Miserably?

Options
Is there such a thing? And How do you know your nearly dangerously there?

I mean I'm very happy with my weight, i'm just below half in my ideal weight range, far from underweight according to my BMI (or w/e) , but lately I've been getting cranking at everyone and angry at things more than usual.

I mean I know I was once miserable when I was obese, but I think that was a different type/feeling of being miserable.

Other than that, I feel healthy, fit, and great, just personality doesn't seem to be adjusting to it too well.

Replies

• Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Spiderkeys wrote: »
    Is there such a thing? And How do you know your nearly dangerously there?

I mean I'm very happy with my weight, i'm just below half in my ideal weight range, far from underweight according to my BMI (or w/e) , but lately I've been getting cranking at everyone and angry at things more than usual.

I mean I know I was once miserable when I was obese, but I think that was a different type/feeling of being miserable.

Other than that, I feel healthy, fit, and great, just my personality doesn't seem to be adjusting to it too well.

• dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you're connecting your mood to your weight? Maybe there's some other factor in your life contributing to your crabby-ness.

Unless you're feeling hangry all the time. That's really the only thing I can think of, since you say you're happy with your weight.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I get cranky when I haven't been eating enough
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Looking at you diary, with the exception of the past 3 days or so, you're eating about the same amount I am. And I'm a small chronically ill woman. You're probably not eating enough to maintain. Your last 3 days look better-- have you used a calculator to estimate your maintenance? Most men are closer to 2500 than 1800.

If it isn't that, then I'd look for other reasons outside of your weight loss. Unless you've got a specific reason why you think it's related. I tend to think that a lot of people expect to be happier when they get to goal weight, but at the end of the day wherever you go (or whatever size you become) there you are.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you're connecting your mood to your weight? Maybe there's some other factor in your life contributing to your crabby-ness.

Unless you're feeling hangry all the time. That's really the only thing I can think of, since you say you're happy with your weight.

^ Maybe this. I'm what you could call "skinny" and there's nothing miserable about it, to me anyway.

Could it possibly be one of those let down feelings that people sometimes get when they've achieved a goal? Like maybe you over-idealized how awesome it would be and now you're feeling kind of disappointed? Kinda like how some people talk about Christmas - you have all the excitement leading up to these high expectations and then the day comes and goes and it was like, meh. :\
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

^ Maybe this. I'm what you could call "skinny" and there's nothing miserable about it, to me anyway.

Could it possibly be one of those let down feelings that people sometimes get when they've achieved a goal? Like maybe you over-idealized how awesome it would be and now you're feeling kind of disappointed? Kinda like how some people talk about Christmas - you have all the excitement leading up to these high expectations and then the day comes and goes and it was like, meh. :\

This sounds likely.

I was miserable when my BMI was 17, but that quite evidently is because I wasn't eating enough. At my current weight I feel pretty good 95% of the time. I'm not sure being slim but healthy would cause low mood in of itself, unless you're deficient in something. Perhaps the weight loss and the crankiness are not necessarily interlinked in that way.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience:

Grouchy when hungry (low carb helps stave this off, but if I go long enough, watch out, there is a pissy two year-old coming out)

Grouchy when I eat something I shouldn't or more than I should because I live in literal mortal fear of messing up all my hard work

Grouchy when sleepy (my inner two-year old needs more sleep when I work out hard)

Grouchy when I can't get out and exercise after I've gotten used to doing so

Grouchy when people try piling expectations on me that they didn't when I was fatter

Grouchy that magical rainbow unicorns haven't come to fix my life since I hit goal weight

• liliguis
    Options
    I wish there was a "like" button so I could show just how much I agree with Jolinia :smiley:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JOLINA! You are a genius! I know exactly how you feel, but have worked through some of them. I do get the grouchies sometimes, and people do EXPECT more of you just because you are fit(ter).... and while I do enjoy feeling better and having more energy, it seems to hit me harder when I am not feeling "up". Maybe everything is just more intense now. I gave up negativity for lent. Maybe for good now.
  • CoriannMichelle
    CoriannMichelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    liliguis wrote: »
    I wish there was a "like" button so I could show just how much I agree with Jolinia :smiley:

I totally agree! There should be a like button options on the forums if the newsfeed has this option. ; )
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That could be it, I live on an average off 2,500 calories a day, but some day I just eat 1,700, and then 1,800 then 2,700, and 2,800, then back to 1,700 again and so on, and feeling hungry quite a lot, maybe that's it, maybe better just to return to 2,220 - 2,300 a day everyday and not more one day and less the next, etc.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »
    JOLINA! You are a genius! I know exactly how you feel, but have worked through some of them. I do get the grouchies sometimes, and people do EXPECT more of you just because you are fit(ter).... and while I do enjoy feeling better and having more energy, it seems to hit me harder when I am not feeling "up". Maybe everything is just more intense now. I gave up negativity for lent. Maybe for good now.

Thanks! :)

Negativity, wow that encompasses a lot of different types of thinking. Seems like a good idea, maybe I should just ease into it!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    @Jolinia yes! I agree. Don't get near me when I have not been able to get my run or workout in. I am a nasty beast of a person. Oh and keep out of my why when I don't have enough food...I am even worse HA! The trifecta though is when I am tired, hungry and have not gotten a workout in. I sprout two more heads and foam at the mouth. :D
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe your blood sugar is getting too low? Got a glucometer to check with?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

Grouchy when hungry (low carb helps stave this off, but if I go long enough, watch out, there is a pissy two year-old coming out)

Grouchy when I eat something I shouldn't or more than I should because I live in literal mortal fear of messing up all my hard work

Grouchy when sleepy (my inner two-year old needs more sleep when I work out hard)

Grouchy when people try piling expectations on me that they didn't when I was fatter

Grouchy that magical rainbow unicorns haven't come to fix my life since I hit goal weight

hahahaha I'm 1.6 pounds away from my goal weight and I'm expecting a parade in my honor and balloons to fall from the sky when I hit it....

You mean that doesn't happen?????

• Jolinia
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

hahahaha I'm 1.6 pounds away from my goal weight and I'm expecting a parade in my honor and balloons to fall from the sky when I hit it....

You mean that doesn't happen?????

Not unless you arrange it. And I'm pretty sure it will cost you a bundle!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Jolinia I wish I could 'like' your post 100 times. That's totally it for me!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Don't forget as fat is being taken out of storage and converted for energy use hormones stored in that fat are being released too. Even though you are a guy, this happens to everyone. It can increase your moodiness, and cranky, angry feelings even if you are getting enough food. I haven't looked at your diary though, just pointing out something most people don't take into consideration. Hang in there! The end result is always worth it.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I have notices a hormonal change in me since I lost the weight. It does not make me crabby but it changed the times of the month and severity at which when I experience bloating, fatigue, cravings, acne, hair growth. It is possible that your body is trying to rebalance your chemical make up to adjust for your smaller size. As with drugs hormones and other chemicals effect you differently based on your size. If you are currently taking medications you may need to have them adjusted for your weight change. :-)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I tend to get that way when I am not eating enough, when I'm not sleeping enough, or when I've been over training. It's generally how I know I need an actual rest day and not just an active rest day.