Am I the only one whose body has an expiration date?!

Options
2»

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Every cell in your body is rebuilt and replaced over time. While the rate of that replacement may change as you age, it still happens. So, I ask the question, what are you taking in to build those cells? We all know the phrase, you are what you eat. Eat clean, train with good form, and provide general maintenance (stretching, self-myofascial release, etc.) and your body will respond by getting healthier and more fit.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    At 30 I tore my ACL and had a botched replacement. At 35 I snapped my spinal ligaments in a car accident. Got my Morton's Neuroma (HOLLA!) a few years ago. Just this year my feet have started to ache on the bottom something fierce.

When I first started exercising back in Sept it sucked and everything hurt. I've thrown my back out twice and gotten used to all-day every-day aching there. My knee gets sleeved up before every workout and iced a lot after. The steroid treatments for the Morton's aren't working so well anymore. But I have still improved my fitness a great deal and lost 30% of my goal. My knee hurts less than it did, I went to Disney last week and my core strength held my back up through all of the crazy rides, and I feel real good about it all.

So don't give up - if you do, it will only get worse. Now is the time to think about protection and prevention as well. You're still going to be 50, then 60 etc...how do you want those years to feel?

Oh and trying rolling your feet on a soup can. It can give you some blessed relief at least for awhile.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I found that a lot of my aches and pains went away once I lost the excess weight.

*nods*

70 pounds later I feel better than I did in my mid 20's (I'm 35 now).

Same here. Lost 50+ pounds and feel the best I've felt since college. I'm 38 now and feel a bit sad about wasting so many years but there's no since crying about it now. Onward and upward.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Not falling apart due to age, yet. My nagging issues have almost completely been taken care of since I started lifting.

Back pains from sitting all day with poor posture? Gone. Posture improved.

Elbow I'd dislocated as a kid that still had a tendency to pull out of the socket? Not an issue anymore.

I do have a hip that is probably slightly dysplastic - tends to rotate out of socket if I'm doing something like mounting a horse, and has for as long as I can remember. I'm working on it with weighted hip abductions.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Not to be maudlin, but everyone's body has an expiration date.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    wow, this is very helpful! Lot's of good info here and at least I don't feel so alone. Most of my colleagues are younger than me, and some of the older ones (who also have knee problems) have given up and are on their way to morbidly obese. I know I have a hard time losing weight (or staying the same) when I don't exercise so I keep doing the things i like which are pretty high impact (zumba, running, salsa dancing). But I've taken all your good advice to heart and I've finally made an appointment with the orthopaedist and podiatrist and am committed to taking care of myself. I'm also planning to incorporate more yoga and swimming into my routine.

Here's hoping that a little care (and losing some weight) will help alleviate some of the aches and pains!
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Lol - glad it's not just me! I've had a shopping list of joint problems since my teens, I feel better having read about everyone else's issues!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I found that a lot of my aches and pains went away once I lost the excess weight.

I agree. I had been very obese my entire life but didn't let it stop me from being active. I was fine till I hit around 43 then I started having all kinds of problems, feet, knees, back, hips. Once I lost alot of weight in 2012-2013, the aches and pains went away most of the time. Granted I still have bone on bone on my left knee and messed up right knee but it doesn't bother me like it did with all that weight on me. I still have twinges of pain in the knees from time to time or other areas if I really over do something but most of the time I am ok.
    Good luck!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Certain issues can get better, sure.

But getting old is a long downhill ride.

The best you can do is be as healthy as you can for that ride to suffer as little as necessary.

Life sucks. Get a helmet. Die anyway. Sad, but a fact.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Pilates equipment classes have helped me a lot. Iyengar yoga has helped, too, but probably not as much as the pilates equipment classes. I noticed big improvements after only a few months of the pilates equipment classes.

Be sure to stretch your legs and feet and use a foam roller for self massage on hips, thighs, and back.
  • cwilson72180
    cwilson72180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and feel old as it is, lol. I know at 34 I am not old but I sure do feel it. I know it is because I am not as healthy as I should be and this is why I plan to get healthier for now on. I have been reading a lot of weight loss and exercise forums and websites and have received a lot of great information so far. I hope to lose this extra weight I have put on and have more energy soon.