Is 1,480 enough to feel satisfied long term and should you eat back the calories you burn?

Options
I have been trying, unsuccessfully, for awhile to lose the last of the baby weight. I tend to eat too little and then my cheat day would be out of control and I would just stay the same weight. I bumped up my calories to 1,480 so I can lose a lb a week but I eat back what I exercise so I don't feel like I am starving. Will I lose weight and does anybody have any experience with this amount of calories? Is it enough calories to make into a lifestyle change?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless your maintenance was 1500, you'd be fine. If I hadn't switched to TDEE in January, my goal would have been at 1490. Try it for 3-4 weeks, making sure you log accurately (including using a food scale if you haven't been) and then see if the results are to your liking.

The one thing about eating back your exercise calories is that they're often overestimated, whether through MFP or what the machine gives you. So only eat back 50-75% of those.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Different calorie levels work for different people.

Make sure you are getting enough protein, fat, fiber and liquid and you should be able to make that work.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Exactly what they said ...plus get rid of the mentality of "cheating", work all foods you love into your calorie defecit across the week...there is no need for a "cheat" if you're generally happy with your diet across the week ..you need to be able to stick to this lifestyle change for ever...plan now for maintenance
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am losing just fine eating between 1400-1900 without exercise. Today was the 1st day I have worked out in a few months really.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I exercise and burn about 600 calories and day but eat it back so I don't go under the original 1480, I figure that is the healthiest way for me since I really enjoy exercise and am trying to tone up
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 without exercise (and generally closer to 1600 with exercise) and I'm fine, but I have to sometimes decide if I'm hungry or just thinking about food. If it isn't meal/snack time, my thing is that my stomach has to be actually growling. Otherwise I wait until my next snack.
    (I eat three meals + two, sometimes three snacks.)
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    Ok thanks for the responses! The 1,200 really set me up to fail (was a little naive about it) and now I feel like I'm starting over after 5 weeks and gaining a lb. Wish me luck!
  • rgplayer
    rgplayer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight?
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    5'8 147 lbs, goal is 138. I was 135 before baby but that seems impossible since I've been battling the last 10 lbs for a year with no success!.
  • rgplayer
    rgplayer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would try to not eat back what i exercise and see if that starts making you lose weight. Because at 1400 calories I would think you should be losing.
  • LKStrachan1988
    LKStrachan1988 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im on 1490 calories a day! I make sure I eat plenty of fruit and veg a day, and try not to eat too much pasta / potatoes / rice a day. I do alternatives for these foods too so I'm not going over the calories I'm allowed a day. I don't add in the calories I've burned whilst exercising, I just stick to my 1490 calories I'm allowed a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is no cheat! This is about living life and enjoying it, so everything in moderation. Set yourself up for success and sustainability. This isn't a race to see who finishes first, its a lifestyle change and the winner gets to eat the most and still lose.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I could eat at 1480 indefinitely, as long as I make smart choices. Darn those peanut m&m's!...
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    1480? Per meal maybe
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My recommended cals are 1200 and each week I'm about 100-500 short. I don't have issues with hunger. I eat foods that are filling and make sure I get enough fat and protein.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I think you are supposed to eat back the exercise calories because if I burn 600 then I will only be eating 800 a day and that is starvation. I don't think I've lost the weight because I was doing 1,200 calories a day and I was always so hungry that I would have a cheat day, not track it, and it would usually last 2-3 days and I would gain back the lb or two I lost that week...It was too low for me and setting me up to fail, hence why I think I should eat back what I exercised. At least I assumed that is how it worked.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Most folks here will recommend you est back approx half of exercise cals, as MFP overestimates them.