Gym Recommendations?

2»

Replies

• I also recommend staying away from the big gym chains. They will lock you into a contract and not let you out. If you read the fine print most of them have terms that require you to keep paying them for the rest of your life (check cancellation terms). I suggest looking for a community fitness center or one that doesn't operate on a contract model.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Stay away from the chains with high pressure salespeople that push long contracts.

The cost efficient options are places like the YWCA, local Jewish centers, and community recreation centers. My community owned rec center is $32 per month and I only join November - March for the benefit of an place in from the weather.

I forgot to mention that many hospitals also operate fitness centers open to the public at a very reasonable cost.
    Yes, this! I'm kicking myself because apparently we have a very nice gym at the hospital right by our house and I locked into a year at another gym without actually checking it out. I just assumed it would be to expensive. I still have no idea how expensive it is, but I'm not really liking my current gym and wish I would have at least looked into it.

In response to the original question, I do find that I will be more likely to go to a gym that is closer to my house and/or on my way home from work, but if there are other options not too much farther away they are worth checking out.

First figure out your budget, and determine what amenities are most important to you. Some gyms offer day care, indoor tracks, pools, tanning beds, saunas, racquetball, etc. and those are nice unless you are fine with just some freeweights and a treadmill.

Look around the gym and inquire about how often it is cleaned and maintained. Look to see how new the equipment is. Cardio machines with individual TVs are nice, unless they are constantly broken like they are at my gym. Look at the wear on the foam handles on the machines, those are usually the first things to go. If they all look in pretty good shape that's a good sign. Go when you will normally be going to the gym to see how busy it is, since some gyms can get pretty crowded. Look and see if the equipment is put away properly or just thrown wherever, it will tell you how aware and respectful the other members generally are. A few annoying members can make your gym experience miserable on occasion.

Stay away from long term contracts if possible, most people will only go for a few months to drop a few lbs and then they're stuck for the rest of the year.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Planet Fitness!

totally. :no_mouth:
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

When selecting a gym, you really need to consider YOUR needs and your GOALS.

This!

Many gyms offer "trial memberships" or week-long passes for you to tour the facilities and try out the gym without signing up. Take advantage of these and ask TONS of questions.

For me, I wanted a gym that had a big selection of equipment (that wasn't always broken), a pool, the option to participate in classes, the option to purchase training packages, and I was looking for a gym that was clean.

After shopping around a bit, I found the gym I currently have a membership with (LA Fitness) and love it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I go to a locally owned community gym that is primarily geared towards weight lifting. It is a 24/7 facility and costs $35/month.

When selecting a gym, you really need to consider YOUR needs and your GOALS.

The only thing I really use the gym for is lifting and I'm an Oly lifter...so my options are limited as I need a gym with an Oly platform and bumper plates and a client base that doesn't wet their pants when weights hit the floor or when someone grunts a little when they pick up something heavy.
    I was a little worried at my Gold's when I was doing snatches and cleans over the weekend. I don't like dropping the weight back to my hips, as it hurts my shoulders a bit.

So instead, just started dropping them. I was amazed, no one soiled their trous. In fact, even a member of staff walked right by, nary a look at me.

Yes.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I was a little worried at my Gold's when I was doing snatches and cleans over the weekend. I don't like dropping the weight back to my hips, as it hurts my shoulders a bit.

So instead, just started dropping them. I was amazed, no one soiled their trous. In fact, even a member of staff walked right by, nary a look at me.

Yes.

At one of the Anytime Fitness gyms I dropped into I had an opposite experience. I was benching with dumbbells and when I set the dumbbells down (not dropped, but set down within an inch of the ground), the manager came by and asked me to sit up with the weights. I now know I won’t be doing dumbbell work at that location.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I woulda pulled some heavy dbs, and asked them to show me how. ;)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Go to each one in the desired locations and ask for a tour and look at prices. Other than that it's personal preference based on what they offer and etc
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Many gyms offer one week trials. I would pick 3 different gyms in your area and use the week trial to decide which one would meet your fitness goals more. I currently belong to 2 different gyms. I have a cheap membership to LA Fitness that I've had since they first opened that I primarily use when I want to do a quick cardio session. I use my local Cornerstone club on my Stronglift days because it is on my way home from work and at the time that I go I can almost always use the Squat rack for 45 minutes without anyone asking when I'm going to be done.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I love my local rec center. I get to go to the gym and do all the classes. They also have fitness social groups that you can join in the rec center. And the best part is I can take my kids to the pool because that comes with it too.
  • KnightsGal76
    KnightsGal76 Posts: 69 Member
    I personally love Curves.... it is an all women club that only takes 30 min for a total body workout. They have some awesome new classes that started this year too... Body Balance, Body Basics, and Stretch and Strengthen - and Jillian Michaels Classes as well. Most Curves locations have Curves Smart which is like having a personal trainer at every machine with you pushing you to do your best.

And, for all Curves locations starting March 9th, they are having their annual food drive... bring in a bag full of non-perishable items and get a $0 enrollment fee.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I woulda pulled some heavy dbs, and asked them to show me how. ;)

He actually demonstrated the maneuver with the 80’s I was using. He was able to do it, but I figured I’d injure myself especially as I got into the heavier ones.