Have to admit that I actually WAS consuming more calories than I thought!

My doctor turned me on to this website (app). I was convinced that I wasn't eating all THAT many calories and that my weight gain was solely due to my age and a slow metabolism. I think I might have been wrong. Ideally, I'd like to lose 30 lbs. I hate the idea of diets and I really don't like to cook much. So far, after about 21 days or so of tracking with MyfitnessPal (which I actually find kind of fun to do) I've lost a couple of pounds and finding it easier to adapt my eating habits. This might actually work in the long run!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    It's amazing, isn't it? There were times I'd swear blind I couldn't be eating enough to gain weight, but when you're looking at 2-3 soft drinks a day (soda, sweetened ice tea, gatorade etc), there's 600 calories and 1/4 of my maintenance calories right there! It wasn't the volume I ate so much as how calorie dense it was, and how often I drank my calories.
  • morganj556
    morganj556 Posts: 3 Member
    Yeah, I definitely didn't have the volume of food, just some pretty poor choices (chocolate covered malted milk balls) and didn't realize how those calories pile up when it doesn't seem like your eating very much. I always think of when people eat dough nuts for breakfast, McDonalds for lunch and then pile on the dinner stuff. I didn't do any of that stuff, but at my age (57) I just can't eat like I use to!