Baltimore half marathon

I'm registered for the Baltimore half marathon in October. I have a few questions if there's anyone else with experience at this race or any half marathon really. I like to be super prepared and I think im all over the mental, training, and preparations that are within my control. The first thing I'm wondering about is spectators. I'm not expecting my family to sit at he finish liine for several hours and they can't follow me the whole time. How do we ensure they'll get to see me cross the finish line without missing it? I've heard there's ways the can find out where I am via my chip. Is this the case? I can't just start and hope they see me cause I will be stressed the enitre 13.1 miles. Any advide would be appreciated.

Also, I know this is personal preference but I live in PA about two hours from Baltimore. The packet pick up is the couple days before the event. I had thought about getting a hotel. I could go right from work, get my packet, relax, sleep, and be there for Saturday. Or, I can go, get my packet, drive home, sleep in my bed, shower and get ready at home, eat in my own kitchen etc. Any thoughts on what is better? Not getting a room is more driving but im trying to decide if sleeping in my own bed and keeping with my home routine is worth it. I know its really my personal preference but i'd love if anyone with experience can offer insight. I know im asking knit picky details many months ahead but it helps me ease my mind. Thanks!

Replies

• lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Anyone?
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    What do you feel most comfortable with? If you don't mind the driving, sleep in your own bed. I find the benefit of sleeping in my own bed to be priceless.

As for your family seeing you cross the line. Do you know what time you will be starting the race, and do you know roughly what kind of time you will be running it in? If so, you can do some calculations and they can get to the end for say two and a half hours after your wave starts. They can see you off, head across town to the finish line, get a bit to eat or go down to the bay/dock area for an hour then get to the end to watch you cross. Or if the course route is on line, they might want to find a spot to see you pass and wave at you...

chip positioning and tracking is possible - haven't a clue how this works though.

Good luck!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    I haven't run the Baltimore half marathon. However in general - for me I like to sleep within a half hour of a race. Some races do offer the tracking your bib number - the Frederick Half did. I believe the same company does the Baltimore(maybe) A couple of weeks before the half, directions were sent out on how to set it up and it was super easy. Even if your family did know when you would cross the finish line - they might still not see you. Usually there are so many people at the half, that they might miss you anyway, even if they are there. My boys don't tend to come see me in my races because of the sitting around and waiting. It's just not that exciting for them. They will track me though on my phone to see where I am. Unless your family is there early - they might not get to the finish line because of all of the spectators.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i just recently ran an out of state half marathon. i suggest that you get a hotel the night before the race so that you can pick up your packet, and get some extra sleep. of course, i was running the race in chicago, and live in new york city, so i had no choice. but regardless, i think that if it is more than a two hour drive, the time is better spent sleeping. if this is your first big race, then you probably won't sleep much, and it's better that you are closer to the race.

i think you have plenty of time to train and prepare, and if you train right, you can come in about two hours. that'll give your family an idea of what time to be at the finish line. but there is no real way for them to 100% guaranteed not miss you crossing that finish line. i mean, you can always have someone be waiting at the 9 mile marker, and when you pass them, they can call ahead to the group at the finish line?

yes, some races have location apps based on your timing chip. the half marathon i just did just had it for the 6 mile marker though.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    From the Baltimore marathon website:
    Alerts are triggered when each runner’s individual timing chip crosses a timing mat that is part of the runner tracking system. By tracking a runner, you will receive the following messages:

Full Marathon: 13.1, 18.9 mi, Finish
    Half-Marathon: 5.8, Finish
    http://www.thebaltimoremarathon.com/Results___Tracking/Runner_Tracking.htm

So your family can find out when you're almost halfway through. If they double that time, that's right about when they should show up at the finish. I would suggest wearing something very distinctive so your family can find you in the crowd. I have an orange hat that I always wear at races that my wife attends. Also, find out what the official race shirt looks like and wear something that looks *nothing* like it! Make sure it's a completely different color -- all white t-shirts basically look the same when they are 50 yards away.

There are also apps for your phone that you can use so that others can track you -- however these often don't work very well in the crowded environment of a race, and your batteries might die at a critical moment (like at the end of the race when you need to contact your family for a ride home!).

I'd say 2 hours is far enough that it's worth it to get a hotel for race night. If you get one within walking distance of the start you eliminate another HUGE variable -- trying to find parking on race morning when thousands of other runners are also making their way to the race. If you're concerned about the hotel beds, you can bring your own pillow and even your sheets, which should make them feel more like home.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Hey ..

In my opinion if you can sleep at Baltimore, you could take the chance to know the city ( if you still don't know) and relax a little bit before the race.. Don't forget to sleep early and drink a lot of water in this day : )

About the food, well, just eat at places that you trust and don't try to eat new things maintain foods that you now...

About your familiars, I don't know how you are prepared to this race, I usually have a estimation of time to finish the race and say to who be there " Hey, after 1 hour and *** minutes from start you can expect me at the finish line, so keep one eye at it " lol
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    From the Baltimore marathon website:
    Alerts are triggered when each runner’s individual timing chip crosses a timing mat that is part of the runner tracking system. By tracking a runner, you will receive the following messages:

Full Marathon: 13.1, 18.9 mi, Finish
    Half-Marathon: 5.8, Finish
    http://www.thebaltimoremarathon.com/Results___Tracking/Runner_Tracking.htm

So your family can find out when you're almost halfway through. If they double that time, that's right about when they should show up at the finish. I would suggest wearing something very distinctive so your family can find you in the crowd. I have an orange hat that I always wear at races that my wife attends. Also, find out what the official race shirt looks like and wear something that looks *nothing* like it! Make sure it's a completely different color -- all white t-shirts basically look the same when they are 50 yards away.

There are also apps for your phone that you can use so that others can track you -- however these often don't work very well in the crowded environment of a race, and your batteries might die at a critical moment (like at the end of the race when you need to contact your family for a ride home!).

I'd say 2 hours is far enough that it's worth it to get a hotel for race night. If you get one within walking distance of the start you eliminate another HUGE variable -- trying to find parking on race morning when thousands of other runners are also making their way to the race. If you're concerned about the hotel beds, you can bring your own pillow and even your sheets, which should make them feel more like home.

Thank you!!! I feel like i've read every single word on that webiste three times over. I must have missed the forest for the trees.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    If you are about 2 hours out I would definitely get a room for the night before, and maybe even the night after. My GF learned the hard way that a drive of any distance after a full or half marathon is not exactly pleasant to the nose. Baltimore

I ran the Baltimore Half last year. Very fun, and pretty good support through out the race. My cheering section was with me to see me off and then were standing just outside of Camden yards when I was finishing up. I always prearrange where the cheering section will be and what side of the course they will be on.

They didn't see me cross the finish line due to the crowd. That was ok anyway, since it takes a while to get through the finishers corral anyway.

If you stay the night before, I would recommend driving the course or at least most of it. Parts of it can be hilly. All in all it wsa my favorite 1/2. I will probably sign up for the full this year, just because runners go through the zoo.