For those with high blood pressure: what food should/shouldn't you eat?

Options
The title says it all. The other day, my dad's bp went up the roof (180/115 to be exact). Lucky he didn't collapse or get a stroke. It's got my whole family and i worried, so as the eldest daughter dealing with a very stubborn father, ill be in charge of cooking/what we eat in the house from now on. So my question is, what are the food that iss and isn't allowed? I know it's okay to eat everything in moderation, but if you knew my dad... i want him to start getting used to less rice andjunk. Im just not sure how to start

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How did rice get on your junk list? High fiber, low sodium, fatty fish and lose weight if he needs to. Low sodium is hard to do. Try curries and vinegar or citrus for flavor with less salt.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking of taking away foods, think of two foods that you would like him to try adding.
  • cdloyer
    cdloyer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Start by reducing the amount of salt in all your food. I have high blood pressure and it has helped a lot. Read labels and shoot for below 10% DV.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When my mom was on a restricted diet we found her brommel and brown yogurt spread. It is expeller pressed with no cholesterol and was doctor approved. Its a butter margerine substitute. No hydrogenated oils. It is great on dishes you would use butter in, but it does not work well for panfrying or sauteeing, stuff will still stick to the pan.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    How did rice get on your junk list? High fiber, low sodium, fatty fish and lose weight if he needs to. Low sodium is hard to do. Try curries and vinegar or citrus for flavor with less salt.

Oh no it isnt in the junk list, i just want him to lessen his rice intake along with junk food. My bad! (He can eat 3 cups in one sitting!)

He's 210lbs and I'm planning to get his TDEE and lessen the calorie intake by 10-15%.
    Thank you! :-)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Instead of thinking of taking away foods, think of two foods that you would like him to try adding.

Will try incorporatibg even more colorful fruits and vegetables, then! My problem is how to get him to stop or at least lessen his eating, since like me before, he cant and wont stop until there's literally no food on the table.
  • paradi3s
    Options
    cdloyer wrote: »
    Start by reducing the amount of salt in all your food. I have high blood pressure and it has helped a lot. Read labels and shoot for below 10% DV.

Will do that! Thank you :-)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »
    When my mom was on a restricted diet we found her brommel and brown yogurt spread. It is expeller pressed with no cholesterol and was doctor approved. Its a butter margerine substitute. No hydrogenated oils. It is great on dishes you would use butter in, but it does not work well for panfrying or sauteeing, stuff will still stick to the pan.

Hopefully they have it here, since my dad uses a lot of butter on his toast, too. I started making him a sandwich with sugar free jam instead haha. I'm also planning to start lessening the fried stuff or using olive oil if we do, is that ok?
  • RodaRose
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »

Hopefully they have it here, since my dad uses a lot of butter on his toast, too. I started making him a sandwich with sugar free jam instead haha. I'm also planning to start lessening the fried stuff or using olive oil if we do, is that ok?
    Don't use olive oil for frying. It loses its properties at high heat. Use a different oil.

The sugar free stuff might not be as good for him as the butter is. Try not to go by your own instinct on this. See if he can get his doctor to send him to a dietician and then you go with him.
    Fat is good according to what the gov and science is telling us now. But fried foods tend to have more calories.
    If you feel that he is eating too much rice and toast, then design meals without them.
    For example, cook chill and beans with two veggie dishes on the side (baked butternut squash and sautéed broccoli with garlic.)
    Cook some salmon because it has Omega 3s. Pair it with lots of colorful veggies.

• pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure and have been on medication for it for years. I avoid pre packaged foods such as ready meals, don't add salt to my cooking or at the table, have reduced my caffeine intake (but not cut it out completely) and I don't eat many processed meats such as bacon or ham.

There are some foods that are supposed to be beneficial to lower blood pressure such as beetroot which would be worth a try. I love it raw in salads or in smoothies.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have hypertension, and nothing helped lower it more than weight loss and exercise. Some types are sodium reactive (need eat less salt, cured meats and canned foods), others are fructose reactive (need to eat less fruits) - though this one is still in the early stages of research, some have problems with both, and others have no problems with either.

Does your father love garlic? Try introducing a clove or two of raw garlic with every meal. Slice or crush it, leave it out for 5 or so minutes (to increase the blood vessel relaxing component) then add it to foods. My favorite way to take it is to have tzatziki, which is really tasty. This may also produce mild reduction in his LDL cholesterol as a bonus.

Does he like tea? A few cups of hibiscus tea can be really good for him. 3-4 cups a day.

Although these lower blood pressure by a few points each (don't expect miracles), it's been shown than even the slightest reduction in blood pressure is beneficial for cardiovascular health.

To help him eat less try to "bulk" his usual foods with vegetables. He likes rice? Serve him pilaf with a lot of vegetables. This cuts on the amount of rice without cutting on the volume. If he likes fried things, try and see if he would accept them roasted or sauteed.. and so on. For high calorie foods, try to serve a a homemade salt-controlled (or reduced sodium canned) soup first, then some vegetables or a salad, then his main high calorie preference meal. With a multi-course meal by the time he gets to the "junk" he will probably be full and would eat less.

As for exercise, try to make it seem like you need his help more than he does yours. Keep complaining how you want to start exercising but get bored doing it alone and need support. Don't push it though or repeat it too much. Go out on a few walks alone, then gradually start asking him to join you.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Staying away from pre-packaged foods and not adding additional salt at the dinner table are big keys. Personally, I've not found a good salt substitute and since I don't have too much of an issue with my food being a bit on the bland side, black pepper is my go-to spice, but your father might take a liking to something out of the Mrs. Dash line of seasonings.

Pasta is low sodium, rice is low sodium (as long as it's not the meal in a pouch or flavored variety-those can be loaded with sodium), lean chicken breasts are fairly low. Fresh or steamed vegetables are generally low/no sodium. Oatmeal is low/no sodium.

As with most foods, you'll have to watch the labels carefully and shop around. Compare different brands. Take lean chicken, for example. If you buy fully cooked chicken breasts, I've seen some chicken that was less than 100mg of sodium per serving. I've seen others that were over 600mgs per 4 oz serving. It depends on the manufacturer and the brine they use.

Fish oil pills also help lower blood pressure.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The usual recommendation is to get on a very low salt diet (be careful when it comes to prepackaged food, sauces etc), low fat (especially animal fat), lose weight and add at least some mild exercise. But, he needs to be checked by a dr, figure out if there is indeed a problem (stress alone can cause the numbers you describe, without any other factors) and if there is a problem, if he needs meds. And do not try takign over responsibility for his health. Unless he wants things to change, it si not happening.
  • paradi3s
    Options

Don't use olive oil for frying. It loses its properties at high heat. Use a different oil.

The sugar free stuff might not be as good for him as the butter is. Try not to go by your own instinct on this. See if he can get his doctor to send him to a dietician and then you go with him.
    Fat is good according to what the gov and science is telling us now. But fried foods tend to have more calories.
    If you feel that he is eating too much rice and toast, then design meals without them.
    For example, cook chill and beans with two veggie dishes on the side (baked butternut squash and sautéed broccoli with garlic.)
    Cook some salmon because it has Omega 3s. Pair it with lots of colorful veggies.

thank you for that! I thought olive oil was good since my dad kept insisting it was (that and what articles say). As for the sugar free marmalade, it's more on because he's borderline diabetic. Is butter okay for those kinds of people? Am gonna try persuading him to see a doc and dietician so well know better :-)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    pamfin wrote: »
    I have high blood pressure and have been on medication for it for years. I avoid pre packaged foods such as ready meals, don't add salt to my cooking or at the table, have reduced my caffeine intake (but not cut it out completely) and I don't eat many processed meats such as bacon or ham.

There are some foods that are supposed to be beneficial to lower blood pressure such as beetroot which would be worth a try. I love it raw in salads or in smoothies.

Thank you! Less canned goods and salt then! :-)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    I have hypertension, and nothing helped lower it more than weight loss and exercise. Some types are sodium reactive (need eat less salt, cured meats and canned foods), others are fructose reactive (need to eat less fruits) - though this one is still in the early stages of research, some have problems with both, and others have no problems with either.

Does your father love garlic? Try introducing a clove or two of raw garlic with every meal. Slice or crush it, leave it out for 5 or so minutes (to increase the blood vessel relaxing component) then add it to foods. My favorite way to take it is to have tzatziki, which is really tasty. This may also produce mild reduction in his LDL cholesterol as a bonus.

Does he like tea? A few cups of hibiscus tea can be really good for him. 3-4 cups a day.

Although these lower blood pressure by a few points each (don't expect miracles), it's been shown than even the slightest reduction in blood pressure is beneficial for cardiovascular health.

To help him eat less try to "bulk" his usual foods with vegetables. He likes rice? Serve him pilaf with a lot of vegetables. This cuts on the amount of rice without cutting on the volume. If he likes fried things, try and see if he would accept them roasted or sauteed.. and so on. For high calorie foods, try to serve a a homemade salt-controlled (or reduced sodium canned) soup first, then some vegetables or a salad, then his main high calorie preference meal. With a multi-course meal by the time he gets to the "junk" he will probably be full and would eat less.

As for exercise, try to make it seem like you need his help more than he does yours. Keep complaining how you want to start exercising but get bored doing it alone and need support. Don't push it though or repeat it too much. Go out on a few walks alone, then gradually start asking him to join you.

• paradi3s
    Options

Super informative thank you so much! :-)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    Staying away from pre-packaged foods and not adding additional salt at the dinner table are big keys. Personally, I've not found a good salt substitute and since I don't have too much of an issue with my food being a bit on the bland side, black pepper is my go-to spice, but your father might take a liking to something out of the Mrs. Dash line of seasonings.

Pasta is low sodium, rice is low sodium (as long as it's not the meal in a pouch or flavored variety-those can be loaded with sodium), lean chicken breasts are fairly low. Fresh or steamed vegetables are generally low/no sodium. Oatmeal is low/no sodium.

As with most foods, you'll have to watch the labels carefully and shop around. Compare different brands. Take lean chicken, for example. If you buy fully cooked chicken breasts, I've seen some chicken that was less than 100mg of sodium per serving. I've seen others that were over 600mgs per 4 oz serving. It depends on the manufacturer and the brine they use.

Fish oil pills also help lower blood pressure.

I'll be staying away from pork and more on chicken, will it help? Awesome, we've got Mrs Dash and fish oil pills here! Thank you! :-)
  • RodaRose
    Options

thank you for that! I thought olive oil was good since my dad kept insisting it was (that and what articles say). As for the sugar free marmalade, it's more on because he's borderline diabetic. Is butter okay for those kinds of people? Am gonna try persuading him to see a doc and dietician so well know better :-)

Butter is probably o.k. -- but I am no expert.
    Pork chops are almost the same calories as chicken breast.
    If you can cut his carbs and sugars a little here and there that would be great.
    When he starts losing weight he will feel better and will be more helpful about your "project."

• Hurleyjer
    Hurleyjer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the general trend here is spot on... Lowering sodium and losing some weight will definitely help. If he's borderline diabetic, the weight loss is key. The dash diet was designed specifically to lower weight and blood pressure (I have no affiliation with it, my MD mentioned it to me when my bp was high..) If you Google it, you might find some good meal ideas....