Atkins Fat Fast

I'm on day 3 of the Atkins fat fast, with my fat intake ranging from 80-89 these last few days. The first two days, I felt crappy and hungry, but today's not so bad.

I'd like to stay on it for two more days, but I work out with a personal trainer tomorrow. Should I up my protein intake for the day? I don't want to burn out.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I wouldn't bother, imagine you're a hunter that hasn't eaten for 3 days and tomorrow you get to chase, catch and kill your next week's food.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother, imagine you're a hunter that hasn't eaten for 3 days and tomorrow you get to chase, catch and kill your next week's food.

Interestingly, I actually had a great workout today! I increased my weight by 10 lbs on one exercise.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    HereLieWe wrote: »

Interestingly, I actually had a great workout today! I increased my weight by 10 lbs on one exercise.

Way to get it!
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Protein intake won't help you much during work outs. You either use carbs or fats as fuel during workouts. Protein might help in breaking down of the muscle but if its 2 more days it might not be a big deal.
  • HereLieWe
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    HereLieWe wrote: »

Way to get it!

Thank you!
  • HereLieWe
    Protein intake won't help you much during work outs. You either use carbs or fats as fuel during workouts. Protein might help in breaking down of the muscle but if its 2 more days it might not be a big deal.

Okay, that's a relief. This fat fast's been a pain in the butt these last few days, but I think it's really working. It's kind of fun too, even though most of the calories have come from straight up like butter or oil.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Interesting!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Where am I???
  • munchmom02
    munchmom02 Posts: 2 Member
    How did you do with this? I am considering doing this as I cannot lose weight no matter what I do?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    The fat fast in Atkins is taking you into ketosis. To generally get the full benefit of ketosis you need to eat that way for a good 2 weeks. Upping your protein shouldn't affect that but upping carbs will.

Good luck.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    munchmom02 wrote: »
    How did you do with this? I am considering doing this as I cannot lose weight no matter what I do?

The Atkins fat fast is a calorie restricted short term measure where 90% of calorie intake is from fats - for example macadamia nuts and cream cheese. It is a specific tool to break a plateau or resistance to entering ketosis as aprt of his diet plan. One only does it for a few days, if it is appropriate and if you are otherwise in good health.

If you're not doing a low carb plan to start with it isn't appropriate, but you haven't said much about your situation and your diary is closed @munchmom02