Taking in soy products?

Options
Hello,

I was going through some sites online which says that one shouldn't take in soy products.

Is it true? I drink soy milk along with EAS Soy Protein powder daily since I get maximum amount of protein from it in the entire day. Me being a vegetarian don't get as much protein as I want on daily basis with my regular food.

If soy milk and soy protein powder is bad, could you please recommend me some good protein powders? I am skeptical on taking whey powders as I don't do muscular exercise a lot.

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with soy protein. If you have a sensitivity to soy that's different. Whey and soy are just sources of protein. You don't have to do weight lifting to use either.
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thats where I read it. And also if I search on "Soy Protein Isolate" its gives me a long list saying its bad for health and most of soy powers or bars have it.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with soy protein. If you have a sensitivity to soy that's different. Whey and soy are just sources of protein. You don't have to do weight lifting to use either.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Thats where I read it. And also if I search on "Soy Protein Isolate" its gives me a long list saying its bad for health and most of soy powers or bars have it.

You can search just about anything and get a study or blog or article saying it's bad, will cause weight gain, weight loss, hair loss, cancer, etc. It's really up to you how you get your protein. If you're worried about using soy maybe eat more legumes?
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    soy is one of the largest genetically modified crops... and i choose to eat organic.

personally it causes me a lot of bloating, plus there is a lot of hype about soy messing with thyroid levels and estrogen levels. i haven't researched it much, as on top of bloating it tastes pretty bad in comparison with whey protein :)
  • tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Soy is bad. Switch to whey protein. For milk, do skim milk or rice milk if you have to. Soy has been proven to cause disease in women. Best to avoid large quantities.
  • hmarhofer
    hmarhofer Posts: 6
    Options
    I've had alot of success on NON GMO soy based products. I use a shake that has been processed to remove the isoflavones that could have a small chance of a minor estrogenic effect in a very small number of people. Hence no hormone concerns. Whey made me terribly sick and bloated. Soy keeps me full and is VERY heart healthy. So YAY for non GMO SOY!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was going through some sites online which says that one shouldn't take in soy products.

Is it true? I drink soy milk along with EAS Soy Protein powder daily since I get maximum amount of protein from it in the entire day. Me being a vegetarian don't get as much protein as I want on daily basis with my regular food.

If soy milk and soy protein powder is bad, could you please recommend me some good protein powders? I am skeptical on taking whey powders as I don't do muscular exercise a lot.
    They've been eating soy products in Asia for thousands of years, and they are much healthier and live longer than most Westerners. There's absolutely nothing wrong with soy. Heart healhy, lowers risks of most cancers, it's damn good for you.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Soy has been used in Asian cultures for centuries before it came to America and I haven't heard of any Asian country having a cancer problem related to soy. The only reason Soy is getting a bad rep now is purely due to the Dairy industry marketing campaign to keep Soy from penetrating into their market. Research funded by Dairy industry says Soy causes cancer and research funded by animal rights group says Beef causes cancer too! Eat whatever you want, whenever you want, but in moderation and you'll be fine.