How healthy is my breakfast and what should I do?

Options
Trying to improve my meals. Struggling bad with weight loss and going nowhere and it's frustrating. I sit at a desk from 8-4 so if I have a smoothie for breakfast I can sip it all morning vs getting hungry and wanting snacks. I had
2 small oranges,
a stalk of celery,
1 cup frozen strawberries,
8 small baby carrots,
2 tbsp. chia seeds for protien and
2 1/2 cups trio greens blended
with 1/2 cup cranberry juice.
It made 4 cups in the blender and It will last me until about 11:30. It's a lot of fiber and im wondering if too much is bad? What should I add or subtract?

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Personally I would need a lot more protein and some fat to stay full. Unless you have that planned into the rest of your day.

Everyone is going to be different.

Edit: if you aren't used to that much fiber, you might be running for the toilet. I eat anywhere from 30 to 60g fiber daily.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough fat and fluids in your diet, it's unlikely you will consume too much fiber.

I don't see anything wrong with this breakfast if it fits into your daily goals. It's pretty light on protein and fat, but as long as you are getting enough of those later in the day then that shouldn't be a problem.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    no protein?
    No fat?
    No possessions?
    No religion?
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a "good" or "bad" breakfast so much as how it makes you feel and how it fits into your overall diet. There's nothing "bad" really about eating a donut for breakfast, I just know I'll be hungry an hour later and end up eating more, haha.

My ideal breakfast is pretty high in protein and/or fat so it keeps me full until lunch. An omelet full of veggies is usually my go to. If I do smoothies I add peanut butter and whey to them so they're filling.

If you're full until 11:30 and feel fine, there's nothing wrong with your breakfast.
  • Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, there is a such thing as a bad breakfast. Your b fast sounds good. Personally I would add some protein powder in there and try to find some good healthy fats, avocado.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    add two eggs in there. Personally I have 2 hard boiled a morning.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding protein and fat to feel fuller. Maybe blend in a 1/2 cup of whole fat greek yogurt? It would add both.

I also find that for me I need solid food. I could drink like 1,000 calories, but I need to chew to feel full. lol
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The "healthiest" breakfast is relative. Concentrate on finding the breakfast that helps you meet your goals. You say that this smoothie holds you till 11:30, which I think is pretty darn good. I'm usually hungry by 10:30.

The thing that most helps me is protein. If it were me, I would add some protein powder and cut back on the fruit. But it's not me - it's you - so do whatever helps you. I would be starving at 9:00 if I ate so little protein for breakfast.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You probably need more protein. The goal is to keep your blood sugar on an even keel. A mix of protein and carbs does a better job than your smoothie of mostly carbs/sugars.

I find a banana and one hard boiled egg at 7 a.m. serves me well til about 10:30 and at that time I munch some carrots. The carrots hold me til lunch at 12.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If I was only eating that all morning I would be SO HUNGRY by the time lunch rolled around. I find, personally, that a more substantial breakfast helps me stay on track throughout the day because it "sticks with me" longer. I am less likely to reach for a garbage lunch/dinner if my morning is stacked a little stronger.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - if you are not losing it is because somewhere you are not correctly account for calorie or you are not in a deficit. Whether your breakfast is "good" or "bad' has nothing to do with it..
    -
    do you own a food scale and weight all solid foods?
    How long have you been dieting for this time around?
  • chphotography
    chphotography Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I dropped 30 lbs last winter so easy. Cut back my calories and worked out 30 minutes a day. The weight fell off. Due to vacation in florida in may then Gallbladder surgery in june and complications and bedrest for 8 weeks I gained 20 back. I have been working on loosing since November and have only gained 3 lbs. I do have a food scale and do measure everything. This smoothie will hold me until 11:30 easy. I'm half done with it now and I made it at 7