Good meats to eat?

Options
Im looking for meats to add to my meals. I use to just use chicken but I'm looking to add more variety to my diet? Anyone help?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Fish.
    Poultry.
    Lamb.
    Pig.
    Cow.
    Buffalo.
    Elk.
    Slow Elk.
    Deer.
    Rabbit.
    Squirrel.
    Raccoon.
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Pork, it's the other white meat! Just choose the leanest cuts. I've grown to like it better than chicken. I buy a whole pork tenderloin and have it sliced, then freeze in individual bags. I try to eat steak (sirloin) twice a week. The key is eating 4oz servings (size of your palm and not thick cut). I'm not a seafood eater, but fish twice a week. Lean ground sirloin is great in stuffed peppers with cooked quinoa instead of rice, or with whole wheat spaghetti. Just remember to keep your carbs healthy and small servings. Eggs, mozzarella cheese, and nuts are my meat substitute I try to do a couple times a week
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Im looking for meats to add to my meals. I use to just use chicken but I'm looking to add more variety to my diet? Anyone help?

Goat belly, duck, Wild boar, Lamb neck
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    All of them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All of them! If you are worried about fats, make sure the meat is well-trimmed. I was surprised to discover that lean hamburger can be lower in saturated fat than turkey! Read the labels.

Salmon. Turkey. Cod. Pork. Ham. Steak. Roast Beef. Turducken.

Three bean turkey chili.

Parchment baked salmon

Panko encrusted cod.

Italian Meatballs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You can get lean cuts of just about anything...also, have some fattier cuts once in awhile for good measure.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Moose makes fabulous stroganoff.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I am boring I usually just eat chicken and ground beef. Also pork sometimes.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I suggest Bison... I absolutely love it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Fish.
    Poultry.
    Lamb.
    Pig.
    Cow.
    Buffalo.
    Elk.
    Slow Elk.
    Deer.
    Rabbit.
    Squirrel.
    Raccoon.

You forgot Opossum, yum, Opossum stew!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Pork tenderloin has a similar fat and calorie count to boneless skinless chicken breasts. Most fish is low calorie. Turkey is also low calorie.

But any meat is fine as long as you aren't overeating. On days you have a higher calorie meat, just adjust your sides so that you stay on track.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    jagi410 wrote: »
    All of them.
    Came here to say these words

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs are where it's at. I've ditched chicken breasts and haven't looked back!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Fish.
    Poultry.
    Lamb.
    Pig.
    Cow.
    Buffalo.
    Elk.
    Slow Elk.
    Deer.
    Rabbit.
    Squirrel.
    Raccoon.

You forgot Opossum, yum, Opossum stew!
    @beemerphile1‌ - yeah? I've been told it's a touch greasy, what do you feel about it? Would you say it's comparable to anything that might be more commonly eaten?
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Fish.
    Poultry.
    Lamb.
    Pig.
    Cow.
    Buffalo.
    Elk.
    Slow Elk.
    Deer.
    Rabbit.
    Squirrel.
    Raccoon.

You forgot Turkey, and duck, and fish, and gator, and snake, and shellfish, and think that covers it now.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Turkey, duck, pheasant, chukar, and dove are under "poultry".

I have fish up there. You're right about gator.
    I've never had snake.
    I agree with shellfish, although I did mean it with fish, it should be its own line item.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    walleye, bluegill, crappie and spotted bass are some of my favorites.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'd consider organ meats, actually, like liver, heart, and such. Very high in iron and some other nutrients, and you can use some - like chicken livers - to add a rich flavor to something that you might otherwise add a higher calorie laden beef to, as an example for use.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Tried gator once. One of the very few things I decided I didn't like. Had a weird rubbery texture with a slightly fishy aroma. Glad I tried it though, but don't need to eat it again.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    jagi410 wrote: »
    All of them.

this