Completely confused, should I unsync my fitbit from MFP?

Options
ok, I've set my goals as following:

Nutritional Goals Goals
Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,520 cal/day
Carbs / Day 190.0 g
Fat / Day 34.0 g
Protein / Day 114.0 g

I've recently got myself a fitbit tracker and have synced it to MFP. Because I do a bit of walking and exercise every day Fitbit sends over extra calories I'm allowed to consume due to exercise taken. However, I've just looked at my nutritional breakdown for today and my goals are all over place.

Totals 1,015 65 34 70 496 35
Your Daily Goal 1,948 244 44 146 2,300 73
Remaining 933 179 10 76 1,804 38
CaloriesCarbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
*You've earned 428 extra calories from exercise today

So as you can see from above it seems to be giving me 244g of carbs instead of 190g as a daily goal, 44g fat instead of 34 g, 146 G protein instead of 114 g!

I'm completely confused, for the last two days I've just been ignoring the extra calories that Fitbit sends through but it seems it adjusts everything else too... What does it mean? Should I just unsync?

Many thanks for the help in advance.

Complete This Entry
Water Consumption

We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. Click the arrows to add or subtract cups of water.

Up
Down
Today's Food Notes
Edit Note
View Full Report (Printable)

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    That's because your nutrition requirements will increase with your calorie requirements. So as your calorie goal moves, your goals for carbs, fats, protein, etc. will move also.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, particularly macros (pro/fat/carbs) which are set as percentages of your calorie goal, will go up when your daily goal goes up. The addition of exercise cals will do that.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ever wonder where the calories in your food come from? its the macros, each g of carbs and protein has 4 calories in it. each g of fat has 9. As your calories increase your macros have to increase as well, the calories cant just magically appear on their own. That is why in your goals your macros are set as a percentage of your calorie goal, not a set number.
  • alionaear
    alionaear Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok, sorry, I was being a bit stupid there. This begs a question: should I try and reach the new macro goal or is it ok to adhere to the original one? What I'm trying to find out is would it be bad for me from nutritional point of view to stay under the new goal?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say stupid; it's not completely intuitive. :)

As long as you are getting adequate nutrition each day there's nothing that says you must eat the extra calories. Keep in mind, though, MFP already has your deficit built in based on your weight loss goal. Eating those extra calories is simply maintaining that deficit. You don't really want to lose weight too quickly. (You might think you do, but you really don't.)